MAAC Alternative - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #31
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Re: MAAC Alternative

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morison View Post
My recollection was that it was similar to a CB radio license - in that it was money only - but was unique to RC radios. Morse code was DEFINATELY not required for either CB or RC licenses.
Check with any of the old timers from back in the early 70's Keith. My brother bought one of the first 4 channel proportional radios in our area and he did have to do an exam to prove competency in Morse Code. I remember him studying for his test late at night when I wanted the lights out to sleep. He was also assigned a call number for the radio exactly like the call numbers the CB operators had to use each time they communicated. He was required to have that call number on his person while operating the radio. This requirement to use a call number every time you keyed the mike was dropped for the CB operators later as well.
There was a certain segment of CB operators in our area that used to delight in shooting down RC planes by keying their mikes when they saw one.
It also worked to momentarily shut down Volkswagons that had the early fuel injection if you were close enough.

Quote:
To be honest, involvement now is more important that involvement at the time of implementation..
Sorry, not buying that one! That's like closing the barn door after the horse left.

... nope, even after giving it some thought I can't follow the reasoning here!
Quote:
I suspect it was industry and a desire for parity with the industry in the USA that is the driving force in these discussions.
I believe you hit the nail on the head right there!!! And that is where we presently sit.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #32
mjohnson
RCC Contributor

I am: MJ
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 Duplex
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 4

Mervin

If your brother had to study Morse Code to operate his tx, he was probably getting his HAM license. I do recall there were 4 or 6 frequencies allotted in the 56 or 58MhZ band (can't remember which) dedicated for RC use but a HAM was required for those frequencies. I was 12 years old when I had a single channel superhet on 27.045 that I vaguely recall having to have a license for but as I was so young I think I was exempt from it. Ah....the memories of chasing the Schoolmaster over hill and dale after the radio quit (which happened often). Good times indeed. I'm in the over 60 club now. How times have changed!

Last edited by mjohnson; 08-19-2015 at 12:02 PM.
mjohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #33
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Remember well the GRS piece of paper in my wallet with call sign...... Also carried my radio licence for aviation frequencies use also. Might still have that stored somewhere with my old pilots liscence. Way back then, a Morse code at a minimum of words per minute were required for your ham licence but now they have two levels of Ham ... A basic - don't think it requires code but has restrictions and then your advanced with code as it used to be.

Last edited by stegl; 08-19-2015 at 09:59 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #34
mjohnson
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 Duplex

Just looked it up on the MAAC website....there certainly is a wealth of knowledge and information there if one cares to browse around on it.

It is the 50 and 53 MHz bands that need a HAM license for operation. More frequencies available than I thought as well. When I lived in Calgary there were 2 fellows that operated on those bands and they flew any time they wanted. I was on CH28 and it seemed that the majority (probably not though) were on that channel. I do remember waiting for the pin for quite some time on a busy weekend. These guys though just grabbed their pins any time they wanted and flew all day like that.

Last edited by mjohnson; 08-19-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #35
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
For example, does MAAC provide support to people working to oppose local by-laws prohibiting flying in parks?

Absolutely I think MAAC should be helping with this as much as they can. In fact if it was possible to have such bylaws rescinded or modified, it could be the greatest single thing that MAAC achieves for RC flying in general, and for a lot of its members too. As a paid member of MAAC, I personally want MAAC to put the majority of its effort and resources into land access, specifically in city parks. It is issue #1 in RC flying today.
I think MAAC has excelled in this area they have provided members a package that spells out eccelent safety guidlines and a very good safety record along with comprehensive insurance coverage that satisfies the legal eagles that advise local comunities. As a group our club approached the City of Windsor to fly in the city on top of a landfill that had been made into a park. They ran it through the legal department and we had approval. They even built us a block bunker at the top so we could keep our warning signs safely inside and not have to cart them back and forth. They even cut the grass for us. You have to take the initiative and work with city hall MAAC is not comming to your town to do it for you.

Quote:
Reasons why they might not get involved should considered also though: like dire futility of such lobbying in the face of City Hall, LOL.
It can be done if approached right but it must come from the members of that comunity for the members of that comunity. MAAC doesn't have an unlimited budget so wheres the money for all this going to come from. Members who already are paid up, perhaps raise the dues or a surcharge on members to lobby for non members. You can always suggest it at your local AZM and see how you fair.

--
Quote:
in future it might become necessary for some RC flyers to choose a different organization than MAAC. Today I do not see the need for it. It all depends on what happens in the next year or two regarding changes to model aircraft regulations. If it becomes law that folks need to belong to a national organization and MAAC doesn't accommodate a subset of RC flyers, then by all means set up an alternative org. Certainly there are many within RC flying who are prejudiced and hostile to other RC flyers. Luckily they are not in power at MAAC today (instead they are on executives and members of certain RC clubs).
Bull just because you don't get your way doesn't mean prejudice or hostility. Every club I know of is run through a majority and like it or not they may have some restrictions that irritate you. Join and live with it, join and work to change things or move on and find or start a club more to your liking. As has been stated before there are heli only, glider only, electric only, war bird only, giant scale only etc clubs. We even have a few very exclusive clubs around here with a half dozen or so members registered as a club but the field is closed to members only.

As to starting other organizations it’s been tried in the US “The Sport Flyers Association”. There was an attempt not to long ago to do the same here. I believe the name they choose was the Canadian Aeromodelers Club or CAC. Lots of information out there on RCC if you look for it, not very pretty though.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #36
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
Mervin

If your brother had to study Morse Code to operate his tx, he was probably getting his HAM license. I do recall there were 4 or 6 frequencies allotted in the 56 or 58MhZ band (can't remember which) dedicated for RC use but a HAM was required for those frequencies. I was 12 years old when I had a single channel superhet on 27.045 that I vaguely recall having to have a license for but as I was so young I think I was exempt from it. Ah....the memories of chasing the Schoolmaster over hill and dale after the radio quit (which happened often). Good times indeed. I'm in the over 60 club now. How times have changed!
He he he I remember free flight with a home made dethermalizing fuse that would allow the elevator to pop up and the model would sink in a nose up stall to the ground. You old

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #37
mjohnson
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 Duplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ace View Post
He he he I remember free flight with a home made dethermalizing fuse that would allow the elevator to pop up and the model would sink in a nose up stall to the ground. You old

Dennis
Who you callin' old??:Rollover laughing:
Old 08-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #38
Hatch
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dylan L.

Total Props: 14

Point taken that resources exist for groups to establish clubs on city-owned land.

With regard to by-laws, I'm not suggesting that MAAC actively lobby local governments. That's not practical. The kind of support I'm talking about is a PDF introducing the organization with its 13,000 members, its relationship with Transport Canada, the fact that a Park Flyer safety code exists, etc. A Park Flyer policy update would also be helpful. It still speaks to the "greatest threat" and is written around encouraging people to join existing clubs.

With the new UAV rules Transport Canada has re-asserted federal jurisdiction over model aviation. If handled right, that provides some leverage to counter drone hysteria at the local level.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #39
mjohnson
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 Duplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
Point taken that resources exist for groups to establish clubs on city-owned land.

With regard to by-laws, I'm not suggesting that MAAC actively lobby local governments. That's not practical. The kind of support I'm talking about is a PDF introducing the organization with its 13,000 members, its relationship with Transport Canada, the fact that a Park Flyer safety code exists, etc. A Park Flyer policy update would also be helpful. It still speaks to the "greatest threat" and is written around encouraging people to join existing clubs.

With the new UAV rules Transport Canada has re-asserted federal jurisdiction over model aviation. If handled right, that provides some leverage to counter drone hysteria at the local level.
www.maac.ca

Click "Resources" then" MAAC Safety Code" it's all there in document #19

All you are asking for is contained within that website. Feel free to peruse the entire site even as a non-member. The website is unrestricted.....showing that MAAC is for EVERY modeler.

Last edited by mjohnson; 08-19-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #40
Trumpet
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mark Betuzzi
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX-10
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

In regards to the Frequencies we use for R.C. Our frequencies listed here are all fee and licence exempt. In the 2.4 GHZ band, Which is in the I.S.M. (Industrial, Scientific and Medical) we have 80 channels from 2400 MHZ - 2483.5 MHz for R.C. use. MAAC was in on the consultation and approval process with Industry Canada for the use of the 2.4 GHZ band for R.C.
Frequencies for F.P.V. use are listed at the MAAC website under safety code document 17.

http://www.maac.ca/en/freq_chart.php The 72 MHZ channels are for the exclusive use for R.C. flying.

MAAC is represented on the Radio Advisory Board of Canada by myself as your Radio Spectrum Chair. The protection and use of all radio bands and frequencies is looked after by Industry Canada, who also have a voice with the R.A.B.C.

Thank you,
Mark Betuzzi,
Radio Spectrum Chair - MAAC
Trumpet is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in