gearless direct drive helicopter motor - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 03:13 AM   #1
ron van sommeren

I am: ron van sommeren

Total Props: 0
gearless direct drive helicopter motor

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I did not now where to post this message in the 'electric flight' subforum or here, it applies to both, therefore a cross-post to said sub-forum:
https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6342
ron van sommeren is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:57 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
That is extremely cool. I am happy to see that the concept works because I have a friend working on a "direct drive" motor for a 60 size heli. It is about 150mm dia and will slip on to the 10mm main shaft.
This project is a long way from completion but I will get pics when ready.
Joe
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
geink
RCC Noob

Hi,
Thats a big motor. Is he building it himself. I hear some vacuum cleaners have brushless motors,I was going to have a chat with the repair man down the street,I wonder if it passably to wind it to get the correct head rpm. I would love to hear about it.
thanks,
George
geink is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:52 PM   #4

Total Props: 57
Yes, he is designing and building it himself. Shooting for Kv to be 54RPM/V and peak power to be up to 3Kw. Normal running power required for this size heli is about 700W to hover. If I remember correctly, outside diameter is 140mm, about 20mm thick. The motor is a ring around the outside with the center forming a centrifical fan for cooling. Rather than an output shaft, it will have a 10mm hole in the center so it can slide right on to the mainshaft.

It will use 56 magnets. The concept is to "unwind" a 14 magnet outrunner like a linear motor, put 4 of them one after another, and then roll it into a circle again. Electrically, it should act like 4 outrunners in parallel.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
geink
RCC Noob

Hi,
This type of motor is realy something spectactular,can we expect to see in the future, stators of a diameter of 6 inches, 1 ft, 2 ft, 4 ft. is there a limit.

George.
geink is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:18 AM   #6
ron van sommeren

Hi George, outrunners have been around for some time already (decades). This company produces outrunners for busses and armoured vehicles:
http://www.magnetmotor.de/ (English link)
Old 03-12-2004, 07:35 AM   #7
ron van sommeren

Now Niels Polfliet (Belgium) made a direct drive motor using Halbach magnet arrays:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...68#post1919468
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in