Monster Trucks - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #41
canadiannascar
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Stevo, do not get discourage, it's a learning curve.
Always keep spare glo plugs.

Once you get her all figured out, you will have a blast..

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #42
SublimeJason

Heres a Good method for Doing Break-in, New Engine Break-in

and heres Some tuning tips by RCtruckRacer Click here for original Post, http://lstforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5194

Here is the first rough draft. Comments please, feedback would be most helpful! I will incorporate everyone's good ideas into the final draft. I see so many 'how do I tune' posts over the forums that I wanted to make a short, comprehensive tutorial that everyone could use. Thanks!

Why do we ‘tune’ our engines? How is it done? This guide assumes that you are familiar with all of the parts of your R/C's engine. If you are unsure what a Low Speed Needle (LSN), High Speed Needle (HSN), idle screw etc are, please refer to the manual (RTFM).
Tuning a nitro/methane 2 stroke engine literally means adjusting the air/fuel mixture inside the chamber. This is done by means of adjusting the amount of fuel that is allowed to flow into the carburetor via needles which can be opened and closed. Most of us know that there are a wide variety of factors that affect that air/fuel mixture in the chamber other than just adjusting the needles. Because of this an engine may have to be tuned several times in the same day for optimum performance. Not maintaining an optimum air:fuel ratio can result in poor performance, or even engine failure!

There is a point, in every engine, at which air/fuel mixture will allow the engine to obtain its maximum HP and RPM’s. Tuning your engine to that point can be dangerous, as the mixture is somewhat lacking in the lubricants necessary to give maximum protection to the engine. Therefore, most people will want to run slightly rich (more fuel in the mixture) of that point. This is referred to as the ‘Sweet Spot.’ Some racers will run at pure max potential, but they also don’t usually care if the engine only lasts a gallon… Running at those settings can be very dangerous because being too lean is just a very slight adjustment away.

And running lean is the real engine killer, not temperature. With proper lubrication, the internal components of an R/C engine can easily withstand temperatures of 300F, maybe even more. The thing is, these engines are designed to operate at temperatures around 210 – 270 F. While there is the possibility you will encounter an engine and conditions that dictate the temperature at proper tune is over 300, it will be a rare occurrence. What that boils down to is that there is a good possibility that there is a problem if your engine reaches too high of a temperature. That is why it’s a good idea to monitor the engine temperature, but not use it as a guide for adjusting the air/fuel mixture in the engine.

So, how do you get to that ‘Sweet Spot?’
1) Start out with rich settings. If you are unsure how to go about this, an easy way is to start with stock needle settings. This includes the idle screw - make sure it is set at factory settings. Usually a 1 or 2 mm opening for the idle stop. The factories always set engines rich for break ins.
2) Warm up the engine. Try not to hammer the throttle too much while its still bone cold, but slowly work your way up to a couple WOT runs.
3) Now that the engine is warmed up (1/2 tank is good), do a couple WOT runs of about 50-100ft in front of you and pay attention to the pitch of your engine. The higher the pitch, the more RPM's its doing.
4) Now lean out the HSN by 1 hour increments (30 degrees, 1/12 of a full circle etc) and continue to do some WOT runs in front of you. The engine's max RPM's should continue to go up each and every time you lean out the HSN by those 1 hour changes. If it doesn't, you have reached the top end and need to richen by an hour. Make sure that you do not continue to lean out the HSN after max RPM's have been reached. You will damage the engine.

Congratulations, you just found the sweet spot. Now, if you notice that the car/truck bogs a bit at take off, lean out the LSN (again 1 hr increments) until it will take off at the touch of the trigger.
And you're done. At this point I like to temp the engine to get a baseline reading for the day.

This is a simple and fool proof method of tuning that everyone can do. Regardless of experience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
That Should get you Going, and with the Cooler temps this time of year it's a good Idea to Pre-Heat your Engine and Wrap the Cooling head to Keep the Engine up to operatorating temps at or above 200F.....

Heres a vid from the other Day, Watch the first few Mins, It was the First time I started My Truck since last Summer and it started pretty easy......
http://media.putfile.com/LST2-first-run-2007

Hope thats some Help to ya......
SublimeJason is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #43
imported_stevoo

sometimes I get it to start now, and sometimes not...
imported_stevoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #44
imported_stevoo

thanks guys...i got it to run and ive started to break it in..why I couldnt start it was becasue there wsa no air getting to the carb. because of the throttle...and the glow igniter ran out of charge..lol
imported_stevoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #45
canadiannascar
RCC Pro Contributor

Yes, I aways turn the throttle trim up when pull starting.
It may help you also, or feather the throttle as your cranking it over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in