DLE 35RA vs EME 35 vs OS GT33 - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 08-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
FLYINCHASE
RCC Master Contributor

I am: mike w
Radio of choice:
DX18
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 5
Re: DLE 35RA vs EME 35 vs OS GT33

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It is an eme can for sure it came in a box from them. not sure whos header it is. it came from T bolt. Its supper quiet. sounds cool.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
bhughes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

I'm using the 60cc can from eme nice and quiet and it actually gives more rpm's then other brands on the market. Very happy with eme cans
Old 08-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Lorne L

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
Anyone have experience with the EME 35? Lots of good reviews out of the US...supposedly lighter and as powerful if not more than the DLE 35RA, also quite a bit cheaper. Apparently ring quality out of the box is similar to the Bowman rings.

A couple people complain of bad carbs that can be fixed by re-fitting a Walbro carb and you'll still have less into it than with the DLE.

2 things I like better about the DLE just from looking at it...
Firstly, there is no gasket between the jug and crankcase nor between the two halves of the crankcase. This means the machining tolerances have to be tighter and the bolts won't be as torque sensitive. Some guys are complaining that the jugs are sitting slightly crooked because they've squished the gasket in one corner on the EMEs.

Secondly, the choke lever is positioned better and a guide is cast into the crankcase.

I also like the two pipe Pitts muffler that comes these with stock exhausts...anyone find differently?

It'll be my first gasser, so my big question to the experts is do those things constitute a $100 price difference? Has anybody ripped into both of these to see which has higher quality internals?
I have helped a few people out at the TFF field with eme 35s and always impressed with how they tune so easy and have plenty of power.
This past 4 days I have ran my first eme 35 and I can't believe what a sweet heart of an engine this is. It blows the doors off the dle 35 rear exhausts that I am flying against. I don't even think they compare to each other. From brand new it spools up the 20x7 cf falcon prop in a fraction of a second. The dle 35's take about 3 times the spool up (by ear) to spool up the 19x8 and the 19x6 props at this field today. Those guys are selling there dle 35's here in forida and ordering the eme 35's asap. Like I said I don't even think you can compare them. 7800 rpm on 20x7 is nuts. flys my 76" edge like a foamy.
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
RCC Pro Contributor

I am using the pitts wrap around muffler and it is very quiet. From what I can see the best option is using the eme can or the lighter pro-rc can option.

the wrap around mufflers apparently rob about 200 sometimes 300 rpm off the motor.

just my 2 c
Old 08-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca View Post
I am using the pitts wrap around muffler and it is very quiet. From what I can see the best option is using the eme can or the lighter pro-rc can option.

the wrap around mufflers apparently rob about 200 sometimes 300 rpm off the motor.

just my 2 c
Awesome Lorne, thanks for your input! Are you running it with the Walbro carb or the EME? If you recommend the Walbro carb version, do you know when you'll have more in stock?

I think the EME front exit canister you have in stock is going to be just the ticket for my airframe. Pardon my ignorance, I know my airframe is canister ready but is there a standard for sizing or will I need to measure it first to ensure the EME canister will fit?

Thanks,

Cory
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Awesome Lorne, thanks for your input! Are you running it with the Walbro carb or the EME? If you recommend the Walbro carb version, do you know when you'll have more in stock?

I think the EME front exit canister you have in stock is going to be just the ticket for my airframe. Pardon my ignorance, I know my airframe is canister ready but is there a standard for sizing or will I need to measure it first to ensure the EME canister will fit?

Thanks,

Cory
You could always try it. if it does not fit the rear exhaust canister should fit.

The walbro carb is a pain to hook up. I would try the eme carb my self. jeff or banchiee boy on here ran the eme carb version and it ran perfect.
the arms on the eme carb version are nicer
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
FLYINCHASE
RCC Master Contributor

I am: mike w
Radio of choice:
DX18
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 5

Im with Lorne on the carb. Mine still hase the eme carb with no problems.

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
always flying
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Manny H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 10

I've got nothing but good things to say about my O.S 33cc i've got it on a KS pipe after doing header testing i've found the sweet spot! like everyone gotta spin it hard or give it a bit more idle,of course this is on initial start up only...super smooth nice idle and never an issue...bonus no burbble too 7900 on a 19x8 personally would buy another any day!

FUTABA 18SZ
always flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31

I bit the bullet and ordered an EME 35 from Lorne along with a couple other items to help get it going...most notably a canister exhaust. I also have a Bowman ring on the way, not because I'm convinced this engine needs it or will benefit from it, but it is inexpensive to try. (On a side note, Frank Bowman was awesome to deal with...over the top customer service for a $13 purchase...even if I don't need the ring I feel good about supporting his business.)

I'm sure this won't be my last gasser, so there should be lots of opportunity to try some of the other suggestions and I appreciate them all. Depending on how things go with this I might consider building something around one of the 40cc twins available now.

I'll keep everyone posted regarding the EME, bearing in mind I have nothing to compare it to and am still very much a novice pilot. I wasn't planning on flying this plane till next season but I have just about everything I need to finish it on the way...we'll see! If nothing else I might build an engine stand to get some run time on the engine and some starting/tuning experience for me without subjecting my airframe to that abuse.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
I bit the bullet and ordered an EME 35 from Lorne along with a couple other items to help get it going...most notably a canister exhaust. I also have a Bowman ring on the way, not because I'm convinced this engine needs it or will benefit from it, but it is inexpensive to try. (On a side note, Frank Bowman was awesome to deal with...over the top customer service for a $13 purchase...even if I don't need the ring I feel good about supporting his business.)

I'm sure this won't be my last gasser, so there should be lots of opportunity to try some of the other suggestions and I appreciate them all. Depending on how things go with this I might consider building something around one of the 40cc twins available now.

I'll keep everyone posted regarding the EME, bearing in mind I have nothing to compare it to and am still very much a novice pilot. I wasn't planning on flying this plane till next season but I have just about everything I need to finish it on the way...we'll see! If nothing else I might build an engine stand to get some run time on the engine and some starting/tuning experience for me without subjecting my airframe to that abuse.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!
hope your first gasser project goes great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in