F550 ARF or S800 EVO - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
mike@ec
RCC Noob

I am: mike N
Radio of choice:
futuba
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
F550 ARF or S800 EVO

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
would like some advice, but please no flaming

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a F550 ARF or a S800 EVO, i know they are in 2 totally different leagues... but I can only choose 1, I would be equiping either one with a NAZA 2.. and i don't want to buy one and be bored of the unit within 6 months.. main use for it would be to fly around and film and photographs (nothing professional) just a hobby.

things i'm looking for: (without upgrading too much)

1 - lifting power
2 - i would like an all black look
3 - retractable landing gears
4 - easily transportable, take apart and put together

i'm sure both can do all the above, but I would like one where i don't have to modify or upgrade every year...

any suggestions are welcome... and thanks in advance for your opinion
mike@ec is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
imported_fusion
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Alex Fagundes
Radio of choice:
JR

Re: F550 ARF or S800 EVO

I was looking at an EVO too debating if it was the ultimate craft I want to use. I have done my fair share of snooping around and decided another route. The EVO is very portable and modular for its size. the arms contain both the ESC's and wires inside and just snap off the unit for portability. It's by far the most streamlined (even the blades fold). If outfitted with either a NAZA M or WOOKONG, it's probably the simplest modular get up and go unit. The bad side is cost. if anything breaks on it, parts are not cheap. If it fails in the air, your looking at 3K(1.2K if a clone) pretty much gone.

the 550 is just smaller and cheaper which ever way you look at it. Also, taking it apart for portability is not ideal. To route the ESC's and such can be done to make it look clean but will not make it any easier to dismantle. If it crashes though, the repair bill is not so great. if an ESC fails for whatever reason, its cheaper and easier to replace on the 550. if an arm breaks, you just replace the arm. cheap cheap The colours of the arm and appearance of the unit itself look more like a toy than the EVO. No retractable landing gear and not a great unit to invest in one. attaching legs is an option though.

Boredom...Ahh...now your talking (but you said you care not to upgrade so I guess I'm assuming if better things come along will you be disappointed?) I like to experiment with tons of stuff and plan to try new craft and configurations. My own humble personal opinion is a hex craft is probably the ideal craft for filming. They are fairly stable and the motor redundancy helps as a failsafe. with both of these kits (unsure of the EVO actually), you could convert the hex to a tri-copter, but that's where it ends.

Here is my idea:

a) I purchased two clones (f450 & f550), a KK2 flight controller and 8 motors and ESC's
This will be my test rig for learning how to fly, mess around with stuff, and have spare parts. With both of these, you can fly a tri, quad, hex and see what you like. it's like lego

b) After I stopped drooling over the EVO, I decided to keep my Tarot 650 (carbon quad with plastic landing gear) and also purchase a Tarot 680 (carbon hex with carbon foldable landing gear), a tarot gimbal and a video receiver/transmitter set.

c) Still in debate but I will either be getting a Ardupilot Mega 2.6 or PX4 flight controller. Both are more complex/complicated than the DJI, but offer a lot more growth/tinkerability. I can't comment on reliability as these are open source, and in fact no matter which way you go, nothing is certain. There is no reason I couldn't just go with a NAZA M but find its a little limited and I get board easily.

The motors, ESC's and radio become the constant. now I can try out the smaller craft and learn to fly (and have replaceable parts already on hand), then I can mess with the other two craft. Why buy the two tarots? simple, together they cost less than $500, I also have spare parts between the two, and combinations I can fly are as follow:

Tri, Tri (6 motors), quad, quad (8 motors), hex, and octo (drilling more holes on my plates). And the multiple configurations within each bird itself. All still foldable and portable.

The Tarots although very cramped can be worked around with patience. They are very light and a good size. The motor mounts allow you to double stack two motors on one boom if you have the necessary extras (which owning the two copters do). They are easily foldable which is quicker than the EVO and although lots of folks have complained about the plastic holders snapping, being gentle does ensure they don't break.

keeping in mind that after I purchase my new flight controller and telemetry, I also invested in an XG8 radio, the 4 craft, all hardware, a gimbal, video transmitter/receiver and some more goodies; and it's approaching 2k cost. My options are open now to more things I can grow into, and I have a great rig for a gopro setup with spare parts. My setup also allows me to choose between an acro flyer, carry more load, have longer flight times, or have the steadiest and most redundant craft depending on the scenario I need it for.

If you don't care about any of that, then go EVO. it's prettier until the EVO S model comes out.lol
imported_fusion is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
mike@ec
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
futuba

thanks for the reply.. some great info there,

you mentioned EVO S... is that due to be released soon ?

Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
imported_fusion
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

lmfao....no. It's just that I find DJI have taken some marketing pointers from apple....or maybe Steve Jobs has DJI stocks.

honestly, I like the design of the S800 but find it's price tag out of my league. I'm new into this hobby but building and modifying stuff is not new to me. The tinkering keeps me interested...and I've read hundreds of articles and threads this past month to help catch up on what we have available as hobby guys...it's insane and a little scary actually!

I wish more people would chime in. I was hoping to meet locals and get hands on insight with other products rather than just buying something and realizing its not what I expected. I'm still stuck on which flight controller to purchase. I heard PixHawk will be in good shape by Christmas but in the meantime, I can't decide between a Naza (any model) or the APM 2.6. This is where I thought having locals nearby could help...Do you already own a NAZA?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
mike@ec
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
futuba

i don't own anything right now.. and I agree I was hoping a few more would chime in to guide me on what to buy etc.

to be honest I haven't even seen one of these fly yet.. but i'm willing to pull the trigger on either one.. my local hobby shop has been very helpful too
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
imported_fusion
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

choices are endless for this. Usually personal taste and comfort level. Most would say at this point to get a DJI phantom. Do you want to build a multirotor from scratch or open a box and fly it after the battery charges?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
chris p
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris p

Total Props: 1

I have recently gotten into a 550 and am enjoying it so far. A fair learning curve for flying and setup but easy enough so far.
Lots to play around with. It is a perfect size and easily fits in the back seat of a small car for transport.
chris p is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
mike@ec
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
futuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris p View Post
I have recently gotten into a 550 and am enjoying it so far. A fair learning curve for flying and setup but easy enough so far.
Lots to play around with. It is a perfect size and easily fits in the back seat of a small car for transport.
can you tell me your set-up..

radio, flight controller etc. ?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
mike@ec
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
futuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_fusion View Post
choices are endless for this. Usually personal taste and comfort level. Most would say at this point to get a DJI phantom. Do you want to build a multirotor from scratch or open a box and fly it after the battery charges?
my local shop will build it if anything.. as they will be giving me flight lessons with whatever purchase i decide on.

i'm leaning toward an F550 with NAZA V2, and a futuba 8 channel radio.. and a heavy lift conversion from AMP, and retractable landing gears...haven't decided on gimbal yet.

or I may just get S800 EVO and NAZA 2.. worry about gimbal later.

I think the prices will add up to be about the same for F550 (after mods) and the S800 EVO.. without gimbal

I just don't want to get the F550 and do all the mods, then regret not getting the S800 EVO..not to mention my wife asking me why i need another multi rotor.. if I do want the S800 EVO after the F550

what do you guys suggest I do ?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
imported_fusion
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

There is no reason to upgrade after the evo. And you do not have to get the DJI gimble. There are others for a lot less. If your fishing for excuses to tell the wife why you spent 4k on a flying lawn mower, well good luck with that. But I suggest lying through your teeth followed by flowers and a nice dinner....

Based on your original criteria...just get the evo and endure the ass whoopings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in