32.5% Carden Baby Yak - BBT! - Build Thread - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62
32.5% Carden Baby Yak - BBT! - Build Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, I`ve agreed to build a 32.5% Carden Baby Yak for Jim Daly.

I`ve named the thread Baby Yak - BBT. The BBT is "Built By Trev" and Jim has come up with a cool little graphic for the planes I build from here on! We`re going to get Kirby`s Kustom to print off a few for our planes.

The Yak is actually a 35% plane and it sounds like Mr. Daly will be mounting a new DA100 in it after Toledo! Here are the specs to the plane ---> http://www.carden-aircraft.com/

We had the kit sent to Burlington, Vermont and I went down yesterday and picked it up... 1 1/4 hours from Montreal, so it wasn`t that long of a drive.

The kit came in (4) big boxes, just like my Extra. A couple neat things with this kit, and Jim has one of the first batches from Carden:
* Foam - Carden is now using a lighter density foam - after speaking with them, they estimate a weight savings of 3/4 # on a 35% compared to their past kits.
* Balsa - Carden has just switched suppliers and they tell me that the quality of wood is second to none (personally I can`t imagine nicer wood than my Extra, so I`m pumped to see this stuff). This kit of Jim`s is the first batch from Carden with this wood.

I`ve got about another week of work to go on my Extra and then I`ll get into this Yak kit!!

Cheers

Trev
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 21
Re: 32.5% Carden Baby Yak - BBT! - Build Thread

Congrats Jim on your new plane You will love it ...Your new Yak will fly circles around Trevors Extra Very neutral plane Trevors' building skills will make it right at the top
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingburner View Post
Congrats Jim on your new plane You will love it ...Your new Yak will fly circles around Trevors Extra Very neutral plane. Trevors' building skills will make it right at the top
Jack,

Do you have one of these or know of someone with one? Any building tips or things to watchout for?

This won't be a 3D machine. It is beeing built specifically for IMAC so we, (TREV ) are going to downsize the control surfaces to be closer to scale so I can get better servo resoloution and utilize more of it's travel.

I will be using stock mufflers and with the lighter building matyerial we are anticipating a 26 lb completed airplane, dry. The new DA 100L has no problem with my 30+ ls Aerotech yak so if we can make this one 4 - 5 lbs lighter I am going to have to cruise at 1/4 throttle!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

Jim, I have been flying mine for 2 seasons..Just started to set it up for IMAC last season..Unfortunetly I didn't get much flying in last season, but what I did get in showed me the Carden Yak will be an excellent plane for IMAC..I am sure it is everybit as good as the 260s', not sure about the 300s' as I've never flown one.

Mine weighs 30lbs, with the DA I had in it..It had lots of power for any type flying...I have just put in my Mintor 110 for this year..Jim it is almost as good as the 40% planes.The smaller control surfaces is a great idea..

The only advice I have is watch the weight of the hatch/canopy..Mine is very heavy.use the lightest pilot figure possible.I didn't like the 28/10 Mejz. on mine, but really enjoyed the 27/12 TH Mejzlik

You will enjoy it
Old 02-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingburner View Post
Jim, I have been flying mine for 2 seasons..Just started to set it up for IMAC last season..Unfortunetly I didn't get much flying in last season, but what I did get in showed me the Carden Yak will be an excellent plane for IMAC..I am sure it is everybit as good as the 260s', not sure about the 300s' as I've never flown one.

Mine weighs 30lbs, with the DA I had in it..It had lots of power for any type flying...I have just put in my Mintor 110 for this year..Jim it is almost as good as the 40% planes.The smaller control surfaces is a great idea..

The only advice I have is watch the weight of the hatch/canopy..Mine is very heavy.use the lightest pilot figure possible.I didn't like the 28/10 Mejz. on mine, but really enjoyed the 27/12 TH Mejzlik

You will enjoy it
Jack,

Thanx for the input.

We are hoping with the lighter foam and wood and keeping cans out that we will end up with a light plane. I think Trev did some lightning of the hatch on the 330 and wil carry that over into this build.

He is going to try and cover the cowl with Ultracote as well so we should save some weight over paint. The pilot I have is not as light as the 3W foam ones but is pretty light. Probably no wheel pants as well but we will see. As I said the new DA 100L is having no problem with the Aerotech so...

Hey do you have some pics of yours? Did you round ou the fuse at the cowl or just go with stock flat sides?
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Here is draft 1 of the BBT Logo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBT1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	46001  
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Old 02-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

Jim, PM me your e-mail and I'll send some pics..Mine is covered in Ultracote and then painted.

I like your BBT graphic, but what happened to the round cowl on the plane

I didn't round the fuse at the cowl, thought about it but ended up leaving it..You'll hardly notice

Last edited by wingburner; 02-13-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy View Post
Here is draft 1 of the BBT Logo!
I love it Jim!!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

I cracked the boxes open a few minutes ago! Everything is in perfect shape. Looks like Caroline threw in (2) ball hats for us Jim!

Check out the size of the Yak canopy compared to my Extra 330 canopy... wow!! I think this is where the hatch lightening techniques will really save a ton of weight here. Absolutely immaculate fiberglassing jobs on all parts!

The cowl is the same size as the Extra 330. I overlayed the plans for this overtop of the 330 plans and the fuse is very close in size and shape! Going to be a nice plane!

I took a peek in the box of wood. Wow This is some beautiful wood Now I really want to get the covering on my Patty Wagstaff done so I can get started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_parts.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	46004   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_canopy.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	46005   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_cowl.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	46006  
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

To give you guys an Idea of the EXTRAS that are need to finish a Giant Scale Kit, take a look at the attached list of items I have sent to Trevor for this build.

I think I might have one or two things left in my shop.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BBT Care Package Rev3.pdf (161.6 KB, 336 views)
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in