Old 08-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
haste232
RCC Apprentice

I am: Tsai C
Radio of choice:
14 mz, Jeti DC

Total Props: 0
World Aerobatic Championship

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Greetings fellow IMACers. Although I was not able to attend the Canandian Nats due to last minute family issues, I did manage to go to the WAC or full scale World Aerobatic Championship, August 20-29 in Silverstone, England, site of the annual British F1. I would like to share the experience with my fellow IMAC flyers.

Tragically, as some of you may know, an American pilot was killed on the third day of the contest. I was not there to witness the event, but apparently she was doing a stall turn, and never pulled out at the bottom and crashed close to the flight line. The contest was postponed and restarted for August 24, 25, 28, 29, for a total of 6 days of flying instead of the planned 10 days. Unfortunately we left during the weekend, not knowing if the contest was going to continue.

The contest is open to the public and no entry fees except the last 2 days when the free style is held. For those of us interested in scale aerobatics, its an eye opening experience. Its also unique to see aerobatic planes spinning in the air above while race cars are going around the track below.

There were 60 pilots from around the world. The pilots flew from 9 AM to noon and again from 2 PM to 6 or 7 PM. There was some delay for low clouds. It was one pilot at a time and each fly one sequence only. There were lots of Caps, Sukhois 26 and 31’s, some Extras, including the new 330SC, and a few Edges, Sbachs. Sorry Jim D, no Yaks. The level of difficulty is somewhere between the IMAC advance and unlimited sequence. There were some very tough sequence manoeuvres like hammer with 1 1/4 negative snap up, ¼ roll down and push to a 45 down line and 2 of 4 pt. roll. One of my favourites was Immelman with 2 point roll at the bottom, half inside loop, on top, 1 1/4 positive snap to knife edge and opposite 3/4 roll. A lot pilots had trouble maintaining level flight and dropped on the knife edge, except the Sukhois with the big engines and the new Extras. A full scale Sukhoi 31 executing this manouvre, engine at full bore, is a sight that must been seen and heard to be truly appreciated. And when they come down on a down line heading just in front of the stands and throttle up to pull out, I got goose bumps..ooooooooohh. You call see the entire known sequence on the WAC website under videos. http://www.wac2009.com/video/videos.html

If I didn’t know better, it was just like our IMAC contests in many ways. There were few there except the pilots, judges, mechanics and people running the contest. I think most people only come for the free style on the last day. Sometimes I was the only person in the stands during the known rounds. Once in the air, whether its 40% or 100%, they look the same size to the naked eye. And they make the same mistakes, rollers that are not level, snaps that over or under rotate, hammers that are too wide etc.

There were some surprising differences. When these guys snap, there’s more pitch than a Roy Halladay fast ball. The planes pitch 20-30 degrees and continue to move forward with the nose pitched for at least another 50 ft before any roll is seen. The box is very tight, 1000 meters, so the lines between manoeuvres is very short, and the air space control they demonstrate is very impressive., especially on outside rolling circles. The spins are totally different from scale aerobatics, because of the size and momentum, the planes continue to go forward during the spin, and there is a great deal of pitch and yaw Lastly, if you think a 150cc on cannisters with a two blade is loud, a full size Sukhoi with its rotary engine at full throttle will send chills down your spine, besides, you can hear it in the next town.

Here are some pictures, Cheers.

Tsai Chen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0231.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	57824   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0235.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	57825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0316.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	57826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0358.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	57827  

Last edited by haste232; 08-24-2009 at 12:56 PM.
haste232 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
bigguy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 3
Re: World Aerobatic Championship

Congratulations! Great article Tsai!

I just added that link to my favourites!
Sounds like our version of Scale Aerobatics is very close but yet not totally the same.I wondered where the heck you were this summer!

Ralph

Last edited by bigguy; 08-24-2009 at 03:24 PM.
bigguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Ray B
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ray B

Thanks for the report Tsai.
Ray B is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
bigguy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 3

Tsai,

Do you have any more pictures?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
haste232
RCC Apprentice

I am: Tsai C
Radio of choice:
14 mz, Jeti DC

Hi Ralph, I got lots but this site only lets me post 4 at a time.
Tsai
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0507.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	57982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0506.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	57983   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0461.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	57984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0423.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	57986  

haste232 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
paul svec
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Paul S

Hi Tsai,

never mind those airplanes.....can you do me a favor? Could you ask Svetlana if she will marry me?...
And if she insists,she can bring her SU 26 with her...I think Al could build a hangar for it and get her to practice at 400.

Paul
paul svec is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
50%300SFlyer
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Clemmens

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul svec View Post
Hi Tsai,

never mind those airplanes.....can you do me a favor? Could you ask Svetlana if she will marry me?...
And if she insists,she can bring her SU 26 with her...I think Al could build a hangar for it and get her to practice at 400.

Paul
I thought you were already married Paul?!?!...
Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4

Whats your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%300SFlyer View Post
I thought you were already married Paul?!?!...
Old 08-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bob H

Total Props: 1

I have also seen full scale aerobatics ( flown the way it should be ).

I have maintained for a number of years that the spin and snap criteria IMAC is teaching at the seminars, and forcing us to judge them that way, is totally incorrect. Full Scale planes don't fly like that.

This "instant snap" with barely any visible indication of pitch is NOT the way a full scale, nor a scale model aerobatic plane should perform the snap.

"where's the pitch" I say.

The same goes for spins. Let me see the nose go up, then the nose drops and a wing tip falls.

It would be good to hear the comments from a few of the "upper echelon" in IMAC after they attended such an event as this. I think it may be an eye opener for them.

Anyway, I'm off the soapbox now

Quote:
Originally Posted by haste232 View Post
There were some surprising differences. When these guys snap, there’s more pitch than a Roy Halladay fast ball. The planes pitch 20-30 degrees and continue to move forward with the nose pitched for at least another 50 ft before any roll is seen.

The box is very tight, 1000 meters, so the lines between manoeuvres is very short, and the air space control they demonstrate is very impressive., especially on outside rolling circles.

The spins are totally different from scale aerobatics, because of the size and momentum, the planes continue to go forward during the spin, and there is a great deal of pitch and yaw.

Lastly, if you think a 150cc on cannisters with a two blade is loud, a full size Sukhoi with its rotary engine at full throttle will send chills down your spine, besides, you can hear it in the next town.

Cheers.

Tsai Chen
Old 08-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

I completely agree! lol. My spins at the Nats were all of the nose up/stall/drop in variety. I got scored pretty low on them.

Can't say much on the snaps. I was in basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hudson View Post
I have also seen full scale aerobatics ( flown the way it should be ).

I have maintained for a number of years that the spin and snap criteria IMAC is teaching at the seminars, and forcing us to judge them that way, is totally incorrect. Full Scale planes don't fly like that.

This "instant snap" with barely any visible indication of pitch is NOT the way a full scale, nor a scale model aerobatic plane should perform the snap.

"where's the pitch" I say.

The same goes for spins. Let me see the nose go up, then the nose drops and a wing tip falls.

It would be good to hear the comments from a few of the "upper echelon" in IMAC after they attended such an event as this. I think it may be an eye opener for them.

Anyway, I'm off the soapbox now
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in