General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
DaveWingman32
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dave W

Total Props: 0
Lancaster

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey folks just thought I would share tis. I was out this morning and heard the loudest rumble from above. I looked up and through the low cloud came a Lancaster. It was absolutley incredible. I believe it may have made a stop over here in London on it's way to an air show somewhere. It was rumbling along at about 6-700 feet altitude. I can't imagine the sound of a few hundred of these at one time. Unbelievable, just had to share it.

Dave
DaveWingman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
valhalla
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Paul J

Total Props: 1
Re: Lancaster

Yes, that would certainly be a spectacle to behold.

I had the pleasure of briefing the crew of one of the B-17's that had stopped over at Goose Bay enroute to England for the filming of the movie Memphis Belle. When it took off I made sure I was outside, watching... and trying to imagine what it must have been like to see hundreds of these in formation. Must have been something!
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
f4u
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom B
Radio of choice:
DX8 TT650
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 2
Smile Re: Lancaster

The Lancaster was probably the one from the WAR HERITAGE at Mount hope airport.. If you drive there and go into the museum you can get up real close and yes it is a flying aircraft. They also have many other planes on display. Tom

Old 07-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
KAPTAN KAOS
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Gary Arthur
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4u View Post
The Lancaster was probably the one from the WAR HERITAGE at Mount hope airport.. If you drive there and go into the museum you can get up real close and yes it is a flying aircraft. They also have many other planes on display. Tom
There are only two flying lancasters. One at the heritage museum and one in england. I live right near Hamilton airport (home of the lancaster) and see it fly regularly. It sure is nice...
Maac#30370
JPO 2011 Member
KAPTAN KAOS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

How about the 1000 plane raid. Some where over Europe while others were still taking off from England. Used to work at Norman Rogers airport here in Kingston in the 50s. They were using B 17s for aerial maping up north. They landed one here for winter storage, landed on two engines for a shorter landing run. Had to take one wingtip off and let the air out of the tailwheel to get it into the hangar. Was gassing up a plane when I saw this little dot off in the distance. About 5 seconds later this P38 Lightning screamed by overhead at about 200 ft. at full throttle. Never forget that one. Winter storage too. Leaked glycol all winter long.

Gord.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #6

Total Props: 57

There's still a few Lancs in various museums in Canada.

Right off of the top of my head, there's one being restored at the TAM in Downsview Park, one in the NAM in Ottawa, one at the Aerospace Museum in Calgary, and one in Nanton AB (Battle of Britain Memorial Museum).

A simple web-serach will probably bring up the remaining museum pieces or gate guardians.

The TAM Lanc is the one from Exhibition Place and is being restored to near-flight condition (spars will not take flight loads, done when became the pylon-sitter.)

My best memory of a major flypast of warbirds was at a aircraft display in Buttonville (MAAC had a booth inside one of the Quonset-styled hangers). Grumble, roar and the amount of sheet steel vibrating and rattling..... the Hamilton Warplane Heritage had their Mitchell, Mustang and Corsair as well as a Harvard or two do a stright pass down the main runway at about 500 feet.

Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
canadianf1pilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 6

Oddly enough, I have not seen the Lank on this side of the pond, But I was in attenedance at Juno Beach on June 6 2004 for the 60th anv. of the invasion of Normandy, and over head flew a Lank with two Spitfire's on each wing...the sound makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up...what a sound.

Bill
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
sclitheroe
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrocat View Post
There's still a few Lancs in various museums in Canada.

Right off of the top of my head, there's one being restored at the TAM in Downsview Park, one in the NAM in Ottawa, one at the Aerospace Museum in Calgary, and one in Nanton AB (Battle of Britain Memorial Museum).
I visited the Lancaster museum in Nanton last weekend, not with great expectations, to be honest (tiny town, old plane..tourist attraction..i figured it would be bad)

I was blown away with the quality of the exhibit and the work they've done on restoring the Lancaster. The building, the planes, everything is in fantastic condition and nicely laid out. The place is staffed mostly by teens, as one would expect in a small town during the summer, but they were polite, attentive, and presentable. Overall a great experience for myself and my two young kids.

If you have a chance to visit the museum on the way through Nanton, I recommend it. If you are an aviation buff, its good enough to be a destination by itself.
sclitheroe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7

I love those big bombers... I saw the Euro B17 at Biggin Hill, and the Lanc at the local airshow in Penticton, gotta say that 4 Merlins cannot be matched by ANY radials (flame suit on!). 24 cylinders on a Sea Fury is a close second, though...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #10

Total Props: 57

Those of us who watch (or are forced to watch) the BBC Antiques Roadshow this weekend. It was from Lincoln in Lincolnshire, on an old Bomber Command airbase. Flying Lancaster #3 is baded out of the museum there.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in