Balsa USA 1/4 scale floats need some assistance - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
proptup
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Clive S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics & Spectrum NX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Balsa USA 1/4 scale floats need some assistance

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi
I am building a set of Balsa USA 1/4 scale floats for my Balsa USA J3 Cub turned into a PA11 Cub Special (cowled engine & flaps).
I have them at the stage where they look like realy good floats. This is just before you put the bottons on and every thing inside will be out of site forever!!! What I would appreciate is some suggestions on how to seal as in (make water tight or water proof) in the area arround where the spreader bars got through the float. I have decided that the pattern for the cutout on the plan is basicly useless and Balss USA should perhaps consider an update of their plans. I have cut new caps for the Inner and the outer sides that will now fit reasonably well. However they will still require some thing to seal them. I am trying epoxy with a sandable filler added but it makes for very slow progress. Those of you who have built these floats do you have any suggestions.
I have flown on floats for some time and know that if there is any way the water can get in it will and the mould will follow.
Sincerly
Trying to keep the floats dry
Clive Sharpe
Proptup
proptup is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: Balsa USA 1/4 scale floats need some assistance

Hi Clive hope things are good your way and you've had a Merry Christmas. We have an active group of float flyers here and most of the guys cut theirs out of foam then use water based contact cement to cover them with 3/32 balsa sheeting. After covering them with Monokote or Ultracoat they remain relatively water proof. The amount of time they actually spend in the water they don't seem to absorb any moisture. Unlike the hollow floats which have split on hard landings these take a licking and keep on ticking. Now you have them built you could pick up some marine 2 part expanding foam and use it to fill the floats before you cover the bottoms. I remember using a polyurethane glue to accomplish a similar effect during a float repair.

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

Another lightweight possibility is the spray can of insulating foam for home use.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
proptup
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Clive S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics & Spectrum NX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Thanks Dennis, we had a good Christmas and I wish you a Happy New Year.
I will get some foam as it will be the solution.
Cheers
Clive
proptup is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #4

Total Props: 57

You might want to try a few different ones for weight.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in