Slight Main Gear warp - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
vgjunky
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bob F
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 2
Slight Main Gear warp

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Stripped the main gear in my TREX 600. Ordered new ones from Rotoquest. Installed it (put the small screws in, took them out to get rid of the extra little bits of plastic from when you initially screw into the plastic of the main gear), and there seems to be a 1mm different as the main gear rotates. I ran the heli up in the yard and as soon as it spools up and slight variation in the main disappears and it everything runs straight and smooth. I checked the second main (they come in a pack of 2), placed it on a perfectly flat glass surface, and it's not perfect either, but close to it. Is that normal? All screws are set at the same pressure, I was careful of that. Like I said it's a very small variation, maybe 1mm.

Thoughts, opinions?
vgjunky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Re: Slight Main Gear warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgjunky View Post
Stripped the main gear in my TREX 600. Ordered new ones from Rotoquest. Installed it (put the small screws in, took them out to get rid of the extra little bits of plastic from when you initially screw into the plastic of the main gear), and there seems to be a 1mm different as the main gear rotates. I ran the heli up in the yard and as soon as it spools up and slight variation in the main disappears and it everything runs straight and smooth. I checked the second main (they come in a pack of 2), placed it on a perfectly flat glass surface, and it's not perfect either, but close to it. Is that normal? All screws are set at the same pressure, I was careful of that. Like I said it's a very small variation, maybe 1mm.

Thoughts, opinions?
Probably warpage from manufacturing Heat from the molten plastic and cooling down

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Very true. Don't forget these are mass produced, likely in plastic injection form. With that they are popped out of the mold and into a bin while still warm. Differences in cooling rates, loads imposed by resting position, (and anything dropped in above them) all contribute to warpage.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
suresharp
RCC Apprentice

I am: James D
Radio of choice:
11x
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0

Yes the gear wheels always seem to be a little out of true. Ihave tried boiling in hot water for 1 1/2 min and then lay on flat surface with weights on it =very little change. Tried to install hub with gear hot tighting the screws alternetly = a little better for the effort. When I heated up a lot longer and hotter it got worse even with weight on it. Hard to change mem of plastic. Over all running result = not a large contributor to vibs But if worp is bad then wear on bearing and other parts are going to wear out quicker
suresharp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Don I.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

Total Props: 46

So far, I have been fairly lucky, and not had any that were warped bad enough to throw out. Most have been very good with the only real bad gears being those on the smaller 450 size heli's. Even then, as long as they don't rub on the lower gear or mainframe, I would install them by evenly torquing the screws in like you would do a tire on a car. Don't overtighten them but make sure they are snug. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I have a 450 with a slightly twisted main gear- It does not seem to hamper performance at all.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in