quick IMAC question... sportsman - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
quick IMAC question... sportsman

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK guys, I prnted out the sportsman sheet and had it laminated I mean business!

I have a few questions before I start practising.... in the first manouver, a half cuban 8, there is a 2 of 4 point roll on the downline.

Q: does that mean a 1/4 roll, followed by a second quater roll? (thats what I think) how long between rolls is considered proper, if any? Or as long as there is a hesitation thats OK?

in #6, the bowtie and #8, the reverse sharks tooth, there is also a 2 of 4 point roll. Same thing right?
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
JimMoss
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Yes correct, but I'm only a basic flyer.
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Re: quick IMAC question... sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic
OK guys, I prnted out the sportsman sheet and had it laminated I mean business!

I have a few questions before I start practising.... in the first manouver, a half cuban 8, there is a 2 of 4 point roll on the downline.

Q: does that mean a 1/4 roll, followed by a second quater roll? (thats what I think) how long between rolls is considered proper, if any? Or as long as there is a hesitation thats OK?Yup and yup

in #6, the bowtie and #8, the reverse sharks tooth, there is also a 2 of 4 point roll. Same thing right?yup

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Jim, you have GOT to move up, after all I hear the sportsman guys get ALL the chicks.. he heh

Thanks Ron... just wanted to verify that. Going to my first contest after practising something wrong would really SUCK!

Old 04-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #5

Total Props: 57
Andrew,

The best looking point rolls last about the same length as a slow roll, so around 5-6 seconds in duration. So for a 2/4 pointer you are looking at about 3 seconds long to complete from beginning of roll to end.....break it down now....its basically 3 points...wings level....wings knife edge....wings level.

So if it takes you 1.5 seconds to go from first wings level to knife edge, and another 1.5 seconds from knife edge to second wings level....you have no pause right?! How long to pause? Well in the past it was pretty quick but the trend of late is to drag it out.....so give it 1 second....now we have wings level...roll (1 second) to knife edge....pause (1 second)....roll to wings level again (1 second).....

Now you have a perfectly timed (and balanced/defined which is important) pointer that is simply to center as each element is equal in length.

The best way to practise 2/4's is a manouver called the reverse 4 point roll...basically you come in, perform a 2/4 in one direction and right after a 2/4 in the opposite direction. Since its defined as a 4 point roll, it is one continuous manouver and the switch over between directions is treated as the middle point (as in a 4 point).....so it really gets the brain working that rudder and timing is very important....but I guarantee if you master this Cubans with 2/4s will be a joke (PS: its easier starting from inverted )

Anyways, thats about it...and yes a 2/4 is that complicated LOL
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Remember andrew, if starting upright, first rudder will be opposite the aileron, and if starting inverted, rudder will be in the same direction as aileron.
Then you will NEVER screw up!!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:45 AM   #7
50%300SFlyer
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Clemmens

Total Props: 1
Remember guys, in Scale Aerobatics, there is no criteria to determine the speed of rolls, or point rolls.

Having said that, as Chad stated, the trend of late is to slow them down a bit. So if it takes you 1 second to perform the first point, you should hold that point for 1 second as well, before hitting the next one.

If on the other hand you choose to do it like the full size boys do, [much quicker using full stick, and being much harder to do] the hesitation between points is much shorter too.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:33 AM   #8
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Thanks for the help guys... always appreciated!

Thats one big thing I really like about IMAC flying. Even seemingly simple manouvers are really worthy of MUCH practice and the joy is in seeing your improvements as you go.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:35 AM   #9

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%300SFlyer
Remember guys, in Scale Aerobatics, there is no criteria to determine the speed of rolls, or point rolls.
Ya they say that in pattern as well....speed doesnt matter, size doesnt matter....blah blah blah....

Yet if you fly a wildly different style from those in the lead....you better fly 120% better to keep up with them So much for unbiased judging!!!!

Its always best to mimic those with the highest score Until you have a big name finding your own style is a bit of a risk!!

PS: In a competition...never watch fliers who are flying worse than you....and only watch those who you wish to mimic.....its amazing the power that has on a good flight.

Quote:
Even seemingly simple manouvers are really worthy of MUCH practice and the joy is in seeing your improvements as you go.
So true...

The absolute most difficult thing with precision flying is entering and exiting a manouver flying straight with your wings level....

Its such a simple thing yet has a huge impact on your overall sequence if you get it wrong. Basically you now wander in and out rather than remaining parallel to the flightline.

This is the one thing that separates those who fly great from those who fly perfect. You only need to get say a 4 point correct once in a sequence...you need to get entry/exits correct a lot!! (46 times in F3A!)

Getting this right will save you a lot of lost points.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

just an observation, since I have been trying t0 fly the sportsman manouvers on the sim (g3) I have decided that although not a lot "harder" in theory, in practice the manouvers are a lot more tricky than basic...

I look forward to getting to try them out in real life with a real plane - as soon as the nice weather returns

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in