lets talk about rules - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
imported_k1e1v1i1n
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
lets talk about rules

maybe we can talk about adding some rules for next year and see what everyone thinks r important . i am sure that the commity will want to decied what rules we use or dont use but we r the 1's paying the cold hard cash to run so i htink we should talk a little abou twhat kinda rules we like or maybe that we want to stay away from .

i will get it started by saying i like the idea of impounding radios during races . i think some of the glitching might b coming from ppl making mistakes abou tthere radio being off and some from ppls motors and other interfearance . but this way we can b sure its not just other radios
imported_k1e1v1i1n is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
imported_Sparkie
RCC Senior Contributor

rules

I LOVE this idea but.....

what if you want to do some tuning ie: with servo's or radio equipment inbetween qualifiers.

Would it be possible to bring your vehicle to the impound table and do adjustments there until the next qualifier begins. (obviously you would have to stop BEFORE the qualifier starts)

or something along those lines. I'm not sure if a radio policeman/women would be 100% effective, we might need a few of them as the pits are spread out and plentiful. (the radio police get billybats too)lol
imported_Sparkie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
Narly1
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie
I LOVE this idea but.....

what if you want to do some tuning ie: with servo's or radio equipment inbetween qualifiers.

Would it be possible to bring your vehicle to the impound table and do adjustments there until the next qualifier begins. (obviously you would have to stop BEFORE the qualifier starts)

or something along those lines. I'm not sure if a radio policeman/women would be 100% effective, we might need a few of them as the pits are spread out and plentiful. (the radio police get billybats too)lol
Sparkie:

To address your question:

The ultimate objective of a radio transmitter impound is to control radio frequency use, not radio use.

In theory, you should be able run your radio in the pits while a race is on, provided it is not on (and I need to research this a bit more) or near a frequency in use by someone racing.

It is then the impound person's job to ensure that no two transmitters are out there on interfereing frequencies.

There is always the chance of a problem, if for instance the impound marshall makes a mistake, or if either the pitting or competing racer swaps crystals, or, if, more rarely, we just have too many radios transmitting in close proximity to each other (hetrodyne effect).

A more extreme and 100% sure approach is to just impound all non-competing transmitters.

Narly1

(Licenced radio amateur and technologist with over 20 years experience in RF (radio frequency) electronics.)
Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
imported_superfly
RCC Contributor

I am: David Mandl

Are there any machines or drills or cutting equipement at Sid's landscaping business next door...maybe that is a source of interferance...
imported_superfly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
adam lancia
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Adam Lancia

radio impound is a good idea. spektrum is a good idea if you can pony up the bucks for it. however, all it takes to use your radio during a wualifier is to go up to the person in front of the computer and as them if anyone in that qualifier is on the frequency you are using. if no one is on it, turn on your radio and adjust to your hearts content. if someone is on it, for crying out loud don't turn on your radio!!!!!!!!!!! AND...if you sign up with on frequency and you change during the day for some reason, tell the organizers so they can change your frequency in the computer!!! if you don't do this and someone checks the frequencies in a heat and your current freqiency isn't listed and they turn on their radio because it SHOULD have been all clear and you get glitches, that's your own fault. there needs to be a lot more proactive steps taken to making sure things run smoothly. it's impossible for the organizers to baby sit a bunch of guys that are being lazy and not taking care of things for themselves. if htis sounds a little harsh, well, yeah, it might be. but it needs to be said because all too many times at too many tracks there are guys that rather not help themselves and ---- and moan about rather than doing what needs done and enjoying a race day. to go along with that, there will be times that if you are using crystals, you will get unexplained glitching and nothing will help. that just happens.
adam lancia is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #6

Total Props: 57
Guys, keep in mind there are other factors that come into play with regards to glitching equipment:

1) Industrial equipment close-by (thx Superfly for that post)

2) Faulty wiring... more often then not, a broken antenna wire is the culprit – but, poor wiring in general can cause glitching. If you are having glitching problems look at the following:

a) Do you have all your wires bundled together? The power wire from your servo or your speed control can actually cause a glitch when too close to your antenna. I have also had some success in reducing glitching with noise filters by APS. http://www.magmarc.com/contents/media/l_APS91010-C.jpg

b) How are your crystals? Change them for another set to see if the problem goes away. I had a really bad glitch one time in my on-road car and I replaced everything electronic – servo, receiver, speed control, motor … and it turned out to be a bad crystal. It worked fine for months before but it jus decided to die one day.

c) Is your antenna touching your chassis? If you have a carbon chassis, the vibrations caused naturally by racing off-road can actually build static in the chassis, which cause a glitch. Simple solution – wherever your antenna touches the chassis use some rubber tubing (fuel tube) around the antenna to insulate it. On most buggies, where you have to feed the antenna through the chassis to get to the antenna holder, a solution could be to drill a small hole in the side of the antenna tube and feed the wire through there so it does not touch the chassis.

d) Do you have broken wires (exposed wire) rubbing the chassis or other electronics? Again – small shorts, or static build-up can cause glitching.

e) Do you have a broken wire in your receiver? Off-road racing puts a beating on your car and it’s equipment… receivers are notorious for going bad after the punishment they go through in an off-road car. The only way to test this is to put another receiver in your car to see if it’s the problem. Same with the speed control … a bad speed control will cause problems.

Yes- the easiest way to a glitch is another radio being turned on - however, in some cases, it is bad equipment that can cause a problem as well.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
Mugenman
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Muckey M

Radio impounds don't work either if the radio is left on. I still believe there should be a honor system. If you don't want to glitch turn off and leave your radio off. Unless you have permission from race control. I'm a firm believer in do unto others as you have them do unto you. It's also about respect and putting value in your and everybody elses equipment. No one wants anything to happen to anyones stuff.
Mugenman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
crUshed420
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1e1v1i1n
i am sure that the commity will want to decied what rules we use or dont use but we r the 1's paying the cold hard cash to run so i htink we should talk a little abou twhat kinda rules we like or maybe that we want to stay away from .
Very good point! Sometimes the most vocal "trollers" never even intend to come out - so please... if you have a rule or some advice - please give it with a grain of salt in mind...

I think rules that are put in place that help encourage attendance and make playing more enjoyable are great!

Rules that are put in place for any other reason could just backfire IMO.
crUshed420 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
imported_k1e1v1i1n
RCC Pro Contributor

agreed so thought out some ideas and then we can all talk about them , i am sure everyone wants to see no reverse at any times on the track . and also maybe no driving on the track in reverse during the race . so basicaly if u go over a barrier its left up to the marshals to fix u

Quote:
Originally Posted by crUshed420
Very good point! Sometimes the most vocal "trollers" never even intend to come out - so please... if you have a rule or some advice - please give it with a grain of salt in mind...

I think rules that are put in place that help encourage attendance and make playing more enjoyable are great!

Rules that are put in place for any other reason could just backfire IMO.
imported_k1e1v1i1n is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
gremek
RCC Senior Contributor

From my past experience with Radio impounds, too many people try to come to the station to grab their radio quickly for a 'fast' adjustment in b/w heats. In between rounds, where there is a 5 minute break it may work better, if you must test something.

If you are one of those people who is constantly testing stuff, GET A SPEKTRUM radio system. Then you won't have to impound.

You're not only buying insurance, but also CONVENIENCE.

I have been at Sid's during the week on a practice day where people have glitched, when there were just 3 others in visible attendance. No radios on. THIS MEANS THAT THERE IS INTERFERENCE COMING FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE - perhaps the residences across the street? Radioshack toys? 75 and 27 band is very common. It's beyond everyone's control.

Impounding radios will definitely help, but it's not going to be bulletproof, as some discovered the hard way this past weekend.
Durango DEX410
gremek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in