Dietrich 42% Slick rebuild - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #21
Jack Marcotte
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jack M
Radio of choice:
futaba and JR
# of RCs: 9-0

Total Props: 5
Re: Dietrich 42% Slick rebuild

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Rick, i was running a DA 170 and it rattle the fire wall joint loose. I wouldn't hesitate to glass the box. The Slick is an awesome flying plane. I've got a video of mine I can post if you like.

2010 July 10-11 Imac at Hamilton Flying Tigers Slide Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmyxbDM9bgc

TBrum Carden Edge at Hamilton Flying Tigers Club Apr 17 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEImndeWOA

The Hamilton Flying Tigers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOH63E2Sk1c
Jack Marcotte is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #22
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K.
Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Marcotte View Post
Hey Rick, i was running a DA 170 and it rattle the fire wall joint loose. I wouldn't hesitate to glass the box. The Slick is an awesome flying plane. I've got a video of mine I can post if you like.
Thanks again Jack! As I said in an earlier post this plane has had a few motors in it. The front end is pretty beat and carved up, I going to replace it. I will beef it up as I go.

Did you find it needed the 170? For me, it will be for IMAC.

And yes, I would very much like to see your video!

Rick
MAAC #20880

Last edited by -Rick-; 01-12-2015 at 11:28 PM.
-Rick- is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #23
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3

Rick is like a kid in a candy store over this plane. He is very stoked and looking very much forward to putting some air under its wings.
We have had several discussions already about just about every part of the plane, in fact its here at my place while we work out the rudder pin assembly.
It has to be removable for transport, I'll be cutting some 1/8" 7layer ply for the pivot blocks tomorrow, all will be bushed with brass.
Really happy Rick has decided to let me help with the little bits and be involved. We'll be building a tailwheel assly too. You go Rick. flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #24
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytwice View Post
Rick is like a kid in a candy store over this plane. He is very stoked and looking very much forward to putting some air under its wings.
We have had several discussions already about just about every part of the plane, in fact its here at my place while we work out the rudder pin assembly.
It has to be removable for transport, I'll be cutting some 1/8" 7layer ply for the pivot blocks tomorrow, all will be bushed with brass.
Really happy Rick has decided to let me help with the little bits and be involved. We'll be building a tailwheel assly too. You go Rick. flytwice
You know me Doug, in for a penny, in for a pound!! And no one should ever have to build a plane, or in my case, rebuild without having a good buddy to shoot the s--t with!!
MAAC #20880
Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #25
machzx
Level 1 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: ED E
Radio of choice:
FUTABA 14 MZ
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rick- View Post
You know me Doug, in for a penny, in for a pound!! And no one should ever have to build a plane, or in my case, rebuild without having a good buddy to shoot the s--t with!!
Ain't that the truth
This hobby fosters good friendships !!
I have met so many good people in this gig
FUTABA 14MZ /18 mz

MISS YOU SON!
NEVER GOES AWAY
machzx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #26
Carlisler
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Scott B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10

I'm in
Carlisler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 AM   #27
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

I\m convinced the friendships made with fellow flyers is every bit as important as the remarkable machines we fly.
Hey Rick, I didn't get the pieces cut today, I was up to my eyeballs in snowblowers to be repaired, 3 of them!! Still have a little work to do on one.
I will get them done today when the sun comes up. flytwice
Old 01-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #28
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rick- View Post
Did you find it needed the 170? For me, it will be for IMAC.
Rick - I have never flown the plane but for the first few levels of IMAC I would recommend the 150. I have had a DA170 and I own several DA150's. The DA170 had a bucket load of power, was a high compression race engine, but was a shaker and finicky on the needles and I solved a lot of frustration when I took it off and went to the DA150. The DA150 is very reliable and I see a lot of them flown in IMAC. As the guys usually say, if you could hook them up to a 5 gallon gas can, start them and walk away they would be running tomorrow when you come back.

For Basic, Sportsman, and Intermediate you do not need huge power. The 150 or equivalent should meet your needs nicely. The guys that are flying Unlimited with multiple upline snaps need lots of grunt and the bigger engines. I have seen many 170's that run nicely but for a plug and play every day runner I would go with the 150. My two cents .....
Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #29
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi Rick I got all the rudder pieces cut out and bushed for the Dieitrich. flytwice
Old 01-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #30
-Rick-
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Frsky X12S Horus, X20S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpilotca View Post
Rick - I have never flown the plane but for the first few levels of IMAC I would recommend the 150. I have had a DA170 and I own several DA150's. The DA170 had a bucket load of power, was a high compression race engine, but was a shaker and finicky on the needles and I solved a lot of frustration when I took it off and went to the DA150. The DA150 is very reliable and I see a lot of them flown in IMAC. As the guys usually say, if you could hook them up to a 5 gallon gas can, start them and walk away they would be running tomorrow when you come back.

For Basic, Sportsman, and Intermediate you do not need huge power. The 150 or equivalent should meet your needs nicely. The guys that are flying Unlimited with multiple upline snaps need lots of grunt and the bigger engines. I have seen many 170's that run nicely but for a plug and play every day runner I would go with the 150. My two cents .....
Thanks Bill, your two cents are valued! From my understanding the plane was designed around a 150 and from what I have been able to find out the people that did fly it with the 150 were very happy with it. And I like the idea of a no fuss motor!

And I am certainly not at the point that I need the grunt for up-lines!!

Rick
MAAC #20880

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in