****THE CALGARY EVENT IS ON**** - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
akb
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Closed Membership
Radio of choice:
N/A
# of RCs: N/A

Total Props: 3
****THE CALGARY EVENT IS ON****

As of this morning I have great news. We have permission to hold Southern Alberta's first all Jet Event at the High River Airport on July 27, 28 and 29th. This setting is in the area south of Calgary on Highway 2, 37 km straight south with mountains to the west as a beautiful backdrop. High River is a growing little town of approximately 8,000 people and many services to accommodate you.
The flying day will probably run something like this, 9am to 5pm on the notam on Friday and Saturday and 9am to 4pm on the notam, on the Sunday.
There are many details to work out but, the first is the name and I think that considering where we are it will have to be, called Jets over High River. As details start becoming available I will try to post them. I am working to get out a web site as soon as possible. So please give me a little time to work it out.
As I said on an earlier post I will try to organize on site self contained camping, maybe charging, on site concessions. I would like to host a barbeque for the Saturday night (to be worked on). We hope to announce some surprises at the event as well but there are many things to work out to that point.
So mark it on your calender to come and enjoy, some western hospitality again on July 27, 28 and 29th.
akb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
akb
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
N/A

One thing I forgot to add, any of you wishing to sponsor our event, please Pm or email me thanks.

Alan Blore
Calgary, Alberta
Old 01-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #3

Total Props: 57
That's awesome Al! As long as it doesn't interfere with my honeymoon I'll be there
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Kelly W
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 6
Great to hear Alan!!!

I'm gonna try my best to make it... 50/50 chance right now.

Do you have any photos of the airport and surroundings for us to salivate over?

Kelly
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
rcav8tr
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Calgary Jet Meet

Hi Al

Put us on your sponsors list. We'd be happy to be involved with your event.

Sincerely,
Ed
rcav8tr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
akb
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
N/A

As a far as a look at the event site try and go to this link to have a look. This isn't much to see from the picture, maybe we will try and get more pictures of the site later.
http://www.copanational.org/non-members/index.htm
Follow through the Flying in Canada page and then go to Places to Fly and then Alberta and then High River. Sorry for some reason I can't get the exact address to come up for a straight link.

Alan
Old 01-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I have to go to Calgary in a couple of weeks and could take my camera over and get some pic's. I live 25 miles east so it is no problem. Also has anybody checked with the RC club that is there. I don't think they are in range but it may be a good idea to let them know in case somebody is flying an electric or something close by which they may know about.
John
Old 01-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13
Congratulations Alan...

Unfortunately, that weekend conflicts with an important family commitment, so I won't be able to come
Old 01-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
akb
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
N/A

Hi Wayne, sorry you can't make it. Maybe another event down the road we will see you.
As far as proximity to the High River Rc club. I had clocked that we are about 7 to 10 km away from the Rc field. MAAC states that we must be at least 4 km away which we comply with. As a test of the Calgary area, the club I fly in, is the Stampede club, and the pylon racers of Indus are closer to our flying field, than that of the High River situation and we have never had a problem from them. I did take this to account when picking the field. I can make that club aware of dates, just in case though, but I think they might just come over and see our event instead of flying at their own field. Thanks for your reminder.

I have also news of hotel rooms in High River. I have had initial contact with the Super 8 and they have blocked 15 rooms for us already. They include single, double occupancies, as well as non smoking and smoking rooms. The hotel offers check in of 3:00pm or later and check out of 11:00 am. Full Breakfast from 6:00 to 9:30 am. Pool, Slide and hot tub. For those that wish to book please call at 1-403-652-4448, there direct number, to reserve the blocked rooms. Guests need to ask for "Jets over High River" to be in the blocked rooms. The rooms will need to be reserved with a credit card. They say that calling the 1-800-800-8000 number for Super 8 will not show the blocked rooms for the event.
They had also told me that this being summer time, this is the last block booking they will take for that weekend. So things may be starting to fill up already.
So if you think you want to make it out to Jets over High River, I'd make a booking with the Super 8 fairly soon.
The other Hotel not far away from the Super 8 is the Heritage Inn. I know that the Super 8 is a fairly new hotel. I think the Heritage may have done some renovating in the past. I have never stated in either of these hotels.
The Heritage Inn number is 1-403-652-3834.
There are hotels also in the town of Okotoks that is north a few miles from High River and a little closer to Calgary, as well.
For now that's all the news I have.

Alan
Old 01-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Donovan R

Evening All

Have booked my room for the "Jets Over High River" event.

see you there
don dow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airwolf_105.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	21912  
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in