RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Riches to Rags

"Just" got my January issue of Flying Models Wednesday; I'm pretty sure most of you had yours some time ago.

Got my February issue of Model Flyer on Thursday. I love this one, as they address us builders, and offer us the odd multiple "free plans".

I have always liked Flying Models a lot, but man, is the North American rag market suffering. Like in so many areas, the "Brits" have us beat all to poop. Service and content.

What happened to us? And please don't use the dirty words "ARF"; you still have to fix them. I'm assembling my first "A#@R*^F" , and always wonder whats inside.

Is there anybody out there who can hear a tired old man. I want them to shape up! Get us a solid periodical that we can read in our bathroom, and we don't have to wait for it.

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Re: Riches to Rags

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflyer
"Just" got my January issue of Flying Models Wednesday; I'm pretty sure most of you had yours some time ago.

Got my February issue of Model Flyer on Thursday. I love this one, as they address us builders, and offer us the odd multiple "free plans".

I have always liked Flying Models a lot, but man, is the North American rag market suffering. Like in so many areas, the "Brits" have us beat all to poop. Service and content.

What happened to us? And please don't use the dirty words "ARF"; you still have to fix them. I'm assembling my first "A#@R*^F" , and always wonder whats inside.

Is there anybody out there who can hear a tired old man. I want them to shape up! Get us a solid periodical that we can read in our bathroom, and we don't have to wait for it.
I am one of those probable "yuppie douche bags" who have made the arf market profitable though I loathe myself for being so.
My question to you is why don't you scratch build a plane and make some plans for us to enjoy? I am not being dismissive or in any way demeaning, but some of us would love to see, build and enjoy from the experience of the older generation. A way of life(in this case hobby) cannot be passed down if it is not given freely to the next generation even if we are yuppie douche bags, probably not deserving
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
dccoop
RCC Contributor

I am: doug c
Radio of choice:
spektrum
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
Get yourself a subscription to RC Report magazine. Best non catalog on the market. Go to www.rcreport.ws and check it out.

DC
dccoop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
always flying
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Manny H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 10
Nothing beats good bathroom reading..i can agree on that!....
But what we have now that wasn't their before are the Auesome R/C web sites that offer us that no magazine can offer!!..up to date info on any new pruduct available...live feeds from the big atractions!..the list goes on!

Times change...that's the way it is!

my 2 cents!

mannyh
always flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Bkind
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by always flying
Nothing beats good bathroom reading..i can agree on that!....
But what we have now that wasn't their before are the Auesome R/C web sites that offer us that no magazine can offer!!..up to date info on any new pruduct available...live feeds from the big atractions!..the list goes on!

Times change...that's the way it is!

my 2 cents!

mannyh
The way the high tech industry is changing every day. It won't be long before you will have just a screen with a portable mouse that you will be able to surf and read your fav mag while on the throne. we will just lose the wipe option of having a paper mag handy when you find your out of the regular wipeing stuff.

Brian
Bkind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad Kacer

I'm tired of the "magalogues" too I let my subscription lapse with the Fly R/C mag this year. It started out great, but they promised a bunch of pull out plans, and those are now rare. My scrip to Quiet Flyer was just renewed, and now they've gone and added engines to their mix So much for quiet.....

The brits do a much better job of it IMO, but the scrip costs are a killer for me. My LHS nicks me $11 or so for one of them from their magazine stand

The best reading is on the web. I don't have a laptop 'puter and a wireless hub to take it with me while i'm sitting and thinking/stinking though

Brad

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

hillmanr2 wrote:
Quote:
My question to you is why don't you scratch build a plane and make some plans for us to enjoy?
I would really like to do that, except for a few minor issues.
For starts, I'm fairly new to this forum, and still trying to get the gumshun to post a build thread.
Secondly, I'm not near the builder that others who frequent this site are. Why would I want to bore them with my trivial efforts?
And most importantly; my scratch build efforts usually involve projects that are offbeat, and probably not the most popular.

Like this one, an R/C piggyback glider, the Hawker Headbutt:

Or this one, a Stahlwerk Mk.III R/C 1/2A endurance model:

It seems to me, that most RCC members are quite expert in this hobby. I'm restricted by a demanding shift-work job, and a more demanding wife. I would not want to begin a builders thread, and not be able to complete it. What a terrible waste of your valuable time.

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Hey we all have other things going on in our lives and do the best we can. I started a thread on a 1/4 scale T Craft about a year ago. I have it on the back burner right now . I don't think anyone is going to hold that against me as I wouldn't do that to someone else. I donot like name brand clothes or shoes but NIKE has a saying I do like JUST DO IT
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
Lag_Janson
RCC Noob

I am: Ryan D
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 7

Don't be so hard on yourself, mtnflyer. There are still people just starting out on RCC and only wish they can build to your skill level, let alone the experts.

I'd follow your build thread if you started one. I tend to read a lot of build threads as I try to work up the courage and inspiration to start building.
Lag_Janson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
County C
RCC Contributor

I am: Geoff C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflyer

I would really like to do that, except for a few minor issues.
For starts, I'm fairly new to this forum, and still trying to get the gumshun to post a build thread.
Secondly, I'm not near the builder that others who frequent this site are. Why would I want to bore them with my trivial efforts?
And most importantly; my scratch build efforts usually involve projects that are offbeat, and probably not the most popular.

It seems to me, that most RCC members are quite expert in this hobby. I'm restricted by a demanding shift-work job, and a more demanding wife. I would not want to begin a builders thread, and not be able to complete it. What a terrible waste of your valuable time.
Mntflyer,
Posting a build thread is quite a bit of extra work. It's especially tough when you're pushing your abilities and aren't really sure how it will turn out. That aside, I can guarantee both accomplished and new builders will find valuable insight through your build thread. I haven't read a build thread yet where at somepoint I thought "Now that's a great idea!" and have gone on to use it as detailed or modified to fit my build's requirements.

Passing on knowledge and experience is so much tougher in this day and age. Most of the very knowledgeable builders grew up in a time when computers and the internet were not around and find the pace and style of information transfer too quick and almost foriegn. Being taught the skills hands on is a rare comodity now, but just like building there is always more than one way to do things, and your initiative to do a build thread is just another way of passing on knowledge and experience.

Do a build thread because you enjoy building and don't be intimidated by the more complex builds. The build processes are all simple when broken down to their simplest and smallest size. eg how to add ribs to the spar or keep the ribs straight and in line.

Geoff
County C is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in