rome
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Taranis
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 9
blue angels

i heard the blue angels are in town, anybody knows how to get to see them close ? i heard by the airport. ( if we can )

thanks

rome
maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
kwm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Keith M

Total Props: 9
Re: blue angels

They are parked off Derry Rd at Tomken apparently.
kwm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
marcham
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Information regarding the cias available here: http://www.cias.org/content/view/37/52/

Matt Chapman is also in the lineup this year! ... I should probably get started on that Eagle 580 ARF.

Unfortunately, the Ex being removed from the airport, it's not the best show to meet the pilots or their equipment.

Last edited by marcham; 09-04-2009 at 08:46 PM.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
whatuwant
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Tim
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

so if l am going to the show for the 7th, where is the best place to go in toronto to get the best view of the show????
MAAC #78195
30% Aeroworks Yak, Sundowner 50, Great Planes Reactor, Cessna Trainer Jr 9303 2.4.

Is That Really Suppose To Look That Way!!!!!
whatuwant is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
mstram
RCC Apprentice

I am: MIke S

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatuwant View Post
so if l am going to the show for the 7th, where is the best place to go in toronto to get the best view of the show????
Most people will sit on the waterfront, as the show is flown between Ontario Place and a couple miles west of that.

For a different view, I used to enjoy going to the top of the old Terminal 1 parking lot at the airport (CYYZ) and watch the planes take off / land. Unfortunetaly that's been torn down, and there is now no good vantage point.

The smaller prop planes usually take off / land from the Island Airport.

They've also fenced in the old Boeing plant parking lot which is adjacent to rwy 23 at CYYZ, which was a great plane watching spot, though people still park across the street at Wendy's and watch the planes. Great fun when a 747 passes a couple of hundred feet over head

Mike
mstram is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

They are at the north end. Park in the Burger King parking lot accross the street, and cross over. There is a small area beside the blast fence where you can see them. Unfortunately there is no place to see the F86 in the centenial colours. Its parked with a Tudor, and another F18. Keep an eye on arriving and departing aircraft, and you will get an idea where to stand, when the planes leave.

So far, the Blue Angels herc has put on the best show. It starts its take off roll, and travels down the runway at about 3 feet, then near the end, they pull up at about a 45 degree angle, then at about 500 feet it levels off. Its got to be a barf bucket right then with the negative g's. When they do their arrival, they fly down the runway at a really decent speed, do a really hard 45 degree turn, then slow down, but stay at the same height. They desend at a very steep angle, then flair at the last minute. I suppose these take offs and arrivals are like what they do in Afghanistan. Very high performance take offs and landings. I've got some photos, I'll try and post them later. Daren
Old 09-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
mstram
RCC Apprentice

I am: MIke S

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatuwant View Post
When they do their arrival, they fly down the runway at a really decent speed, do a really hard 45 degree turn, then slow down, but stay at the same height. They desend at a very steep angle, then flair at the last minute. I suppose these take offs and arrivals are like what they do in Afghanistan. Very high performance take offs and landings. I've got some photos, I'll try and post them later. Daren
The approach / landing is called a " break / overhead / combat landing " :
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/...batlanding.htm

A few years ago I was there when the SnowBirds did a "break" landing ... all 9 of them in formation ... with smoke on !!!! ... better than the actual "show"

The F16 pilot did a "flyby" the Tower, he was probably doing ~400 kts !

Another good one is when I was listening on my scanner to the Blue Angels take off clearance, and the tower said "Cleared for takeoff .. cleared to FL330"(33,000 ft) (normal airline jets are only cleared to 5,000 after takeoff), so after accelerating to near the end of the rwy it was an almost straight up vertical climb !

Btw there's a great flight simulator called Falcon4 made by Microprose, that apparently was created for the military as a training aid, then released as a game / commercial product. I have it, and it's apparently very realisitic for simulating the F16.

Here's a great site that talks about how to fly the F16 : (landing )
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archi...ing/index.html

Anyway, I am now on short final (usually over the overrun) with ]thirteen-degrees AOA, slowly dragging the power to idle, looking for the ground effect (seldom a pitch change) to cushion the touchdown, and rolling the aircraft on the ground.

Thirteen degrees AOA ! ... Most planes stall at ~10 !

Mike
mstram is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Bent
RCC Contributor

I watched these guys rock Toronto for 45 minutes this afternoon. They made several low passes, solo and formation, directly over downtown. I'm willing to bet that won't happen during the Sun, Mon shows. Go see them if you can, they're awesome. Access is a pain coming from the west. The Gardiner and Lakeshore will be crawling between 11am and 4pm. Thousands watch the entire airshow while driving in their cars. The ideal way to access the show is by bicycle along lakeshore. My wife drops us off around Parkside and we follow the path east almost all the way to the Exhibition grounds.
Enjoy the show.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 14

Go anywhere around airport's perimeter, we have been going there for many years now and always enjoyed there more then Lakeshore!.

Yes Blue Angles are already here, i saw the whole team and there "Fat Albert C-130" parked on northend of the airport by Derry rd and Torbram rd earlier in evening today.

Last edited by Struts1; 09-04-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in