Sea craft red fuel pump warning - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 08-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34
Sea craft red fuel pump warning

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Bought this product a couple years and never used it until this weekend. Was very impressed with the machining and qaulity.

While filling my airplane with gasoline the pump started to slow Down and it got really hot with some smoke. Pulled it apart today and the pump was fine. Pulled the cheap, crappy $2 dollar electric motor out and put 6 volts to it and it started to glow.

I was using a 2 cell lipo pack to power the pump.

Going back to hand crank system as it is safer.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
DannoH
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1
Re: Sea craft red fuel pump warning

Good to know, thanks for the info. I keep thinking I should get something electric so I'm not cranking the pump 75 times to fill a tank but I guess it's not all that bad!
DannoH is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Bought this product a couple years and never used it until this weekend. Was very impressed with the machining and qaulity.

While filling my airplane with gasoline the pump started to slow Down and it got really hot with some smoke. Pulled it apart today and the pump was fine. Pulled the cheap, crappy $2 dollar electric motor out and put 6 volts to it and it started to glow.

They made two fuel pumps , one for nitro and the others for gasoline, kerosene .... At least at one time depending on pump version.

Last edited by stegl; 08-01-2016 at 05:28 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

This one was for everything
Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Had an issue with a turbine fuel pump ($275 cad worth) after sitting around for about 2-3 years..... Would hardly turn. If I had left battery on , it would have burned out likely. Ended up taking the end plate off to get gears turning. Then did a half hour running ; recirculating kerosene thru a filter and works fine now.
Surprised that you had an issue with Secraft as they are pretty much quality stuff. I know motors can look pretty cheap as they are pretty basic and not meant to look classy when in a pump casing . sorry to hear of the issue but have you contacted Secraft to see what they had to say ?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
cravenjw
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post

Same thing happened to me after 18months use of seacraft V2 pump. Slowed down over 5 flights and died. Talked to CDN vendor I bought it from and asked if this was why seacraft had released a v3 less than one year after the v2. Dealer offered me nothing.

I also opened mine up. While the aluminum machining and fit and finish is awesome, the motor that they use is a joke!

The seacraft pump was my second pump. I already had a jersey modeller pump that had run 3yrs. So jersey got my money for a replacement. Jersey also offer a replacement motor kit and you can buy the motor pump to fix your seacraft tank.

Since the death of my V2, I know of 3 other flyer who had seacrafts that died and all went to Jersey.

While seacraft does make some really nice shiney bling, I won't ever buy or recommend anything they make that requires electricity!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

I have the red Seacraft pump as well but mine has been bullet proof. Would not hesitate to buy another. Some kind of manufacturing problem with whoever supplied the electric motor to Seacraft??
Old 08-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
cravenjw
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetman View Post
I have the red Seacraft pump as well but mine has been bullet proof. Would not hesitate to buy another. Some kind of manufacturing problem with whoever supplied the electric motor to Seacraft??
Thunderbolt RC
Old 08-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
. sorry to hear of the issue but have you contacted Secraft to see what they had to say ?
Nope didn't contact Seacraft or thunderbolt as I let it sit for a year or so without using it. I don't expect anything in warranty because of the length I didn't use it. but electric motors don't go bad sitting around doing nothing
Old 08-02-2016, 12:39 AM   #10
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Well maybe in that case it could have been a bad batch of motors in the V2. I think Esprite has a listing of a replacement motor. I use the Jersey also and know of guys that pump a lot of fuel (turbines) and they look well used.

I would still contact Secraft and explain the situation and see what they have to say. They may not want the bad publicity.... Would give them a chance to correct , but I would try a nice approach and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in