RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #111
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 6
Re: Big Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamball View Post
It is with great sadness I pass this information on..
For those who knew Vince Gavagnin, of Stratford, a message this morning from a flying buddy of mine......
Vince passed away Friday evening. He was 80 and has been battling heart and lung problems for some time now...
He will be missed..
Funeral arrangements not yet finalized, will post this when I hear from Vince's wife..
Sorry to hear, my condolences to the family.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #112
foamball
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Art L

Total Props: 0

Viewing and Funeral for Vince Gavagnin will be Wednesday morning, Sept.5th, 10 AM at Young Funeral home, 480 Huron St., Stratford.
Art.
foamball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #113
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
Cool. Let me know and I'll be sure to get an EPP one cut and have it ready for you whenever you get here.
Cool, thanks.
J
Hi Jason
I have a teaching assignment in Newmarket Sept 10-13 and I usually get students from all over Southern Ontario, if I have one who lives not far from you, I'll give him the kit, I'll let you know as soon as I get the list this week.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #114
uberjay
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jason U
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjets View Post
Hi Jason
I have a teaching assignment in Newmarket Sept 10-13 and I usually get students from all over Southern Ontario, if I have one who lives not far from you, I'll give him the kit, I'll let you know as soon as I get the list this week.
Sure .. thanks!

If I happen to be in Mississauga one of those days for work maybe we could just do the exchange then? I still need to see if Jared can get a SH printed and cut for you. Hopefully will be able to.

Incidentally, I think I have it pretty dialed in now. My motor choice turned out to be a bit heavy, but worth it! With the micro & the C10 motor I was running with the battery on the nose, but with the super the battery works really well on the wing saddle. The Turnigy G450 1200kv is what I have on the SH. The lipos I mainly use (on the saddle) are the 3S 1000 mAh 25C's that I started with on this thing. I've also run 450 mAh and even 1600 mAh lipos! With the 1600 it was a bit of a tank, but still flew fine and I could still hover it (as much as _I_ can hover ).

I'm still experimenting with props. I've run a 10x4.5 which pulls great, but tends to warm things up a bit and chew up the battery. I'm currently running 8x4 MAS and I've run an 8x5 APC. The APC was pretty efficient, but, as APC's are, brittle. I now have gear on it so could go back to the APC if I wanted. I'm leaning towards trying a 8x4.3 or 9x4.3'ish. Will let you know.

Anyway... looking forward to the BBF. Going to read this thread to remember what the AUW was that you had (minus lipo). That way I will know which motor to plan for - have a couple here that I think should work fine.

Thanks!
J
uberjay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #115
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Jason

Maybe we can meet for supper or something.
The weight of the Sbach 342-50 less lipo is 3.5 lbs, a 5000 5s is around 1.5 lbs.
That's with an SK3 5045-660. I'm using a 15/6 prop.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #116
uberjay
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Quote:
Jason

Maybe we can meet for supper or something.
The weight of the Sbach 342-50 less lipo is 3.5 lbs, a 5000 5s is around 1.5 lbs.
That's with an SK3 5045-660. I'm using a 15/6 prop.
Supper sounds super. I'll let you know if and what day I am able to make it.

Thanks for the weights. I'll let you know what I land on . Have to go through my little pile of motors.

Thanks,
J
Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #117
uberjay
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Hey Gaston.... with the BBF I am thinking of using this one:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...5-Speed/Detail

I happened to have it sitting here. I know 'spec' ratings are usually idealistic, but headsuprc seem to be fairly reasonable with their numbers. I'm thinking with my motor being about 100 g lighter than the SK3 and also running just one 2200 3S lipo (about 400 g lighter) I'll save 500 g. The AUW you listed was 5 lbs (2.27 kg). If I start with that and drop the 500 g I get 1.77 kg. The Power Up 25 motor above is listed at 77 oz or 2.18 kg thrust with an 11x5.5E prop. That's only a 1.23 thrust to weight ratio, but that's good enough to get me off the ground for now and I can upgrade later if needed.

Normally, I would go to a minimum of 2:1 ratio, but I need to use up some of the stuff I have sitting around . Also, I don't have any 5S batteries sitting around.

What do you think? Should work if I'm carefull with my build weights right? It'll be more 'sport' than '3D', but I can live with that initially.

Thanks,
J
Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #118
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

[QUOTE=uberjay;982427]Hey Gaston.... with the BBF I am thinking of using this one:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...5-Speed/Detail

I happened to have it sitting here. I know 'spec' ratings are usually idealistic, but headsuprc seem to be fairly reasonable with their numbers. I'm thinking with my motor being about 100 g lighter than the SK3 and also running just one 2200 3S lipo (about 400 g lighter) I'll save 500 g. The AUW you listed was 5 lbs (2.27 kg). If I start with that and drop the 500 g I get 1.77 kg. The Power Up 25 motor above is listed at 77 oz or 2.18 kg thrust with an 11x5.5E prop. That's only a 1.23 thrust to weight ratio, but that's good enough to get me off the ground for now and I can upgrade later if needed.
Hi Jason
It should be ok but you''ll have to look into the C of G, it should be approx. at the front edge of the middle square tube, otherwise it could be too nose heavy unless the lighter weight of the motor compensates.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #119
uberjay
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Quote:
Hi Jason
It should be ok but you''ll have to look into the C of G, it should be approx. at the front edge of the middle square tube, otherwise it could be too nose heavy unless the lighter weight of the motor compensates.
Nose heavy with a lighter motor and lighter battery? I need to look at your plans again to see where stuff is mounted.

Thanks,
J
Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #120
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
Nose heavy with a lighter motor and lighter battery? I need to look at your plans again to see where stuff is mounted.

Thanks,
J
It might all work out ok, all you can do is check it out, the problem could be the battery compartment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in