What is it?? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 11:56 AM   #11
Ron Roy

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Flying is not a natural human trait, therefore we are defying nature (sort of) by flying our models. My first experience was watching four P-51's in formation at an air show in North Bay (long time ago), and I haven't lost the love for aircraft, ....and never will till I die!

Most modellers, being the patient sort, are also the nicest people!
Ron Roy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:28 PM   #12
Ed Smith

I have been modelling for 55 tears (I mean years) I pylon race, one would think that my age I would know better.

I have said this before and I will say it many times again. There is nothing, nothing like the sound of four racing engines coming around the #2 and 3 pylons, just 15 feet away. revving at 24.000rpm. And one of them is mine.

I get the butterfies at the start of every heat. When I do not I will give it up!

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #13
rscamp
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Rob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd
This sounds stupid but the last thing I look at before I goto bed at night are my planes and the first thing I look at when i get up are my planes. The first thing I want to do is fly, the last thing I want to do is fly. I got it bad. My girlfriend thinks i'm sick in the head, I think i'm sick too but sick in the head is good.
We're going to get you the best doctor we can find... Hehehe.

I think that having success at doing something that isn't easy and has a risk of loss associated with it is a major driving force. Maybe it is a bit like what attracts people to gambling?

Rob
rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-13-2004, 02:14 PM   #14
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

I gave this one some more think since it was posted so long ago... I like Derricks sentiments - I love airplanes!! And where else can you go to watch so much action packed into every minute??? ...and the non flying time spent with some of the best people on the planet...

..hard to beat that.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:07 PM   #15
Raymond Gignac

When you have to quit flying the real things because of $$$, the next best thing is RC.
Raymond Gignac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:51 PM   #16
britbrat

I've been an airplane nut for as long as I can remember -- back into the '40s. I clearly remember seeing my first jet -- a Dehavilland Vampire -- I was completely agog! I got to see one up close -- sat in the cockpit in Trafalgar Square on Battle of Britian Day in 1949.

It is through & through me into my bones. I don't know why, but it just is. I flew for the RCAF & the saddest day of my life occurred when I was bounced from flight status for a vision problem.

My modelling friends have varying backgrounds, but the common thread is an uncommon excitement where aircraft are concerned. It just happens. It is a good thing.

I left the hobby for ~ 30 yrs because life got in the way, but what a rush to come back -- I hope that I can do this stuff until my dying day.
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:32 PM   #17
IAN GUNN
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1
WHAT IS IT?

It's,it's ...in the genes for me! My dad was a modeler and on the day I was brought home,the first pictures of me we with a free flight Stinson Sedan that my dad had just finished.Although I've had many interests over the years,model aviation was always there in the back ground.Either in free flight as a kid,r/c gliders in my 20's and 30's and now transisting into power in my 50's.
But what is it about it that attracts? For me it's the smells during building and flying as well as the research for scale planes,the guys at the field and their left handed complements.And some of the crazies that hang out on RC CANADA to!
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:40 PM   #18
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Actually, I had to choose between finishing my homebuilt full scale and getting my liscence & quitting the models, or persueing the models and letting go of my dream of piloting my own full scale....

I think the choice I made is clear
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:26 PM   #19
Frenchman
RCC Contributor

I am: Rene B

For me it was the challenge of trying to learn something new at the age of 60. I must have lived a sheltered life because I didn't know that these things even existed. Once I seen them fly I wanted to learn to do that. I will never be the pilot that the younger guys are, but if I can get it off the ground, fly it around for 10 to 15 minutes, and get it down safely than I am happy and feel that I have accomplished something. Most of all though I think that most, but not all, people that I have met in this hobby are fun people to be around and will bend over backwards to help out, and I like that

MAAC # 68775
Frenchman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #20
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
For me, it sort of grew as I was intrigued as to whether or not I could master this new (to me) activity with it's somewhat delicate eye/hand co-ordination requirements, and there were times early on when my knees were knocking and things were not quite as I wished when I would ask myself "Why am I doing this? I am not having fun!"

I got marginally better, and now I do have fun.

What keeps me pumped though, as I was saying to Mr. Coholic on Saturday [You made excellant time getting home, Andrew] is the support and encouragement of the folks at the field.

I have just started flying my first low wing (The Super Sportster I bought fom Dennis Pratt aka Propworn) and it is faster, smaller and much more nimble than anything else in my hanger.

Friday evening, my first two solo flights with that little beast, and everyone was on the ground before I went up, and all eyes watching. (Talk about pressure!) After clean landings the accolades and applause for a decent job made me feel like a five year old who got two gold stickers on his artwork from his kindergarten teacher.

We all seek support and approval, and this kind of warm, comradely environment is where I want to be. The flying is fun, but the people make it so.

Sorry to rattle on, guys, but that's me.

Dave

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in