Tail Setup - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
dcaranci
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dom

Total Props: 0
Tail Setup

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all,
I'm setting up the tail rotor, servo, and gyro on my new Raptor 30 and need a little advice.
I'm following Michael Prewitt's advice on his web site "raptor technique" as much as possible, but not sure about this part...

I'm using an XP8103 radio, and 401 gyro. Ok, it's not a 401, its the G011 but it's basically exactly the same thing, just cheaper.

Anyway, using his instructions, I set the servo travel on the radio to 100% in both directions, then limit the travel with the dial on the gyro. Ok, but when I do this I end up with only about 70% of the stick on the transmitter being used. Beyond that, obviously the gyro is limiting the servo rotation (as expected) and further stick input does not have any effect.

My concern is that doing this, I will have a very sensitive tail rotor to my commands, plus I have a fairly large "dead ends" at the limits of the stick movement.

Would it not be better to limit the servo on the transmitter instead of on the gyro? This would allow a less sensitive tail to the stick movements, and able to use all of the available movement on the stick, which my intuition tells me is better, but there must be a reason for not doing this.

Anyone out there have any guesses? What is your setup like?

Thanks for the thoughts...
D
dcaranci is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
marcham
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: Tail Setup

I have not tried the Walkera gyro, but I can try to help you out anyway.

Stick travel is not = tail travel.
Stick travel = piro speed.

The objective is to find a ball placement on the servo arm that allows you to keep the gyro travel setting as close as possible to 100%, without exceeding it. Ideally, you can set your ATV / end point adjustment for the rudder channel to it's max value 140? 150? and work the dual rates from there.

Without independent Left / Right travel limit, you piro rate will be limited in one direction.

There is some good info on this on trextuning.com, well worth the read. Also of interest is the Bob Finless video on the GY401 setup, which can be found with his TRex 450 videos on helifreak. Here's the TRex tuning bit:
http://www.trextuning.com/modern-gyros.php

With gyros, like anything else, you get what you pay for. The less expensive gyros typically drift with changes in temperature, do not filter out vibration very well (especially in the case of this gyro that was designed for electrics, not glow). All in all, it should be manageable unless you're doing crazy stuff.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
dcaranci
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
I have not tried the Walkera gyro, but I can try to help you out anyway.

Stick travel is not = tail travel.
Stick travel = piro speed.
Ok, please excuse me as I'm relatively new at this...
But how can they be different? In my mind, piro speed = simply pitch of tail rotor blades which = servo travel which = stick travel.

Obviously I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what...

I'll check out the references you pointed me to when I have a little more time this evening.

Thanks for the help and advice, it's very appreciated... but I'm a little confused still.

D

Old 05-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
dcaranci
RCC Apprentice

Ok, so I just took a read through that link and wow it's much more clear now. I actually do understand it now....

Sounds like even though on the bench the servo does not travel any further when it hits the limit at say 60% stick, there will still be an affect when it is in the air and the gyro is actually measuring the turn rate.

Anyway, long story short... I understand now.

Thanks again RCC and thanks MARCHAM!

D
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in