Figuring out CG question? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
Re: Figuring out CG question?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Maybe a better term is "Longitudinal Center of Balance"

After all, isn't that the thing we are most interested in, to be sure that the "object in question is balanced with respect to (all) applied forces."?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_balance

But we usually just abbreviate it "COG"
"All", applied forces is the key. Longitudinal (end to end) force is only one component. Transverse (side to side) and Vertical (Depth, or top to bottom) forces have to be taken into account too. These are 2 dimensional balance points. Each of these 3 dimensions are a component of CofG (3 dimensional). I found this link to the same terms as they apply to a vessel in water. http://www.neely-chaulk.com/narciki/...tre_of_Gravity It's another way of looking at the same forces.

It would seem that the only reason we need to determine where the CofG is, is so that we can adjust it to be within a certain distance of the Neutral point which then trims the plane to fly the best that it can for what it was designed for.

I think post #2 by Terry J, is it in a nutshell. Once you understand the reasoning, just get it done the simplest way.

Last edited by fixer; 04-20-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added link
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer View Post
...Once you understand the reasoning, just get it done the simplest way.
Which is what likely 75% of modelers do. Test only for Longitudinal Center of Balance.

Another 20% likely test for Transverse Center of Balance.

But 99% use the term CoG.

So long as somebody else has designed the plane so the actual CoG is in the right spot the simple measurement of LCoB is really all we need. Correct TCoB will eliminate the need for counteracting roll trim.

This probably reads better if I remove the (all) that I added.

"object in question is balanced with respect to (all) applied forces."?
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Which is what likely 75% of modelers do. Test only for Longitudinal Center of Balance.

Another 20% likely test for Transverse Center of Balance.

But 99% use the term CoG.

So long as somebody else has designed the plane so the actual CoG is in the right spot the simple measurement of LCoB is really all we need. Correct TCoB will eliminate the need for counteracting roll trim.

As long as they understand that the CofG is being adjusted with respect to the Neutral point to make the plane recover to level flight after any change in pitch, and to recover from stall, or not, yeh, it's that simple.
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
center of gravity , centre of gravity , cg , figuring cg , gravity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in