3 d planes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
3D - Aerobatics Discuss 3D

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
Robcrash

Total Props: 0
3 d planes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have an ultra sport 40 .Could this plane be used for 3D and should I install a larger engine ,,Right now it has a super tiger gs 40, but i have a 46 that would work as well.
Robcrash is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
Chris Cann
RCC Supreme Contributor

You could always keep that ultra stick for a sunday flier and make a new 3d plane I would suggest making a SPA3DT for that 46 of yours! http://www.spadtothebone.com/misc/spa3dt.htm
Chris Cann is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
cplant

GP actually makes a new Ultra Sport called the Ultra Sport plus. They claim it's 3D capable. I looks like all they did was enlarge the control surfaces by a fair amount and maybe a few other subtle mods to the wing. It still only has 595 sq in. of wing and weighs around 5 1/2 lbs. Wing loading is stated at 20.5-22.3 oz/sq ft. I'd say it's a little on the heavy side for any kind of decent 3D (unless you have plenty of power and all you want to do is hover). The Original Ultra Sport is more like a small pattern plane. You could maybe try lightening it up a whole lot, and rebuild the flying surfaces with more control surface area. But as Chris said, if you're going to to all that work (and possible expense) why not just build a new plane that is designed specifically with 3D in mind and use the Ultra Sport for "normal" aerobatics and sport flying. It is a really nice plane for that.
cplant is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
I would go for the SPA3D too. Good one to learn on as it's tougher than nails. Only plane I ever had that would flatspin with rudder only. but it's got to be the ugliest plane ever built.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:04 PM   #5
Robcrash

3D

That spad looks great and I think that it may be the hot ticket i'm lookin for , I have been mulling over building a spad for a while ,like the pizza box thing ,I may have to stop by here to pick your brains some more on this subject,,,, thanks all ,,,Crash
Old 01-28-2004, 09:02 AM   #6
james
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: James W
Radio of choice:
Jr
# of RCs: 10

I have an Us 40+ and although not the worlds best 3D machine it's alright. I built mine carefully and kept the weight to 5lbs even. Fly's nice although I haven't got a good harrier out of it yet. With the TT 46 pro it has lots of vertical.

MAAC #68500-J
james is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
Robcrash

an US 40+ never heard or seen one of those .is it a spad design?
Post a pic ,I would be intrested to see what you people fly for 3d, and what you can do for stunts !
Old 01-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #8
james
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: James W
Radio of choice:
Jr
# of RCs: 10

The US 40+ is a built up balsa and lite ply plane. The kit is fairly simple. Here's a link to the Us 40+ on Great Planes site http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0390.html

MAAC #68500-J
james is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:23 PM   #9
matteo
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: matt s

I have a SPA3DT and that thing harriers really easaly. I never got a chance to hover it because my engine couldent go vertical without it killing out but i am shure the it hover really good.
matteo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:18 PM   #10
Robcrash

Well why didn't you say so Hey james thats an ultra sport ,with steroids ,lol larger control surfaces , that was my original question , if any one uses an U, S , for 3D i I see others still think very light weight and a good motor is the key thing , (spad ) any one build a pizza box spad here I have seen it in some videos and it looks very simple to build ,,,,,,,yes now i'm pumping you for ideas on what to build ,(S.p.a.d. wise) nobody around here has anything like it , the closest thing is a friends pink all foam packing taped plane ( ugly dosn't cover it ) it flys nice ( if you can keep it running) hope he's not in this forum lol
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in