Old 12-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
rc999
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brian P
Radio of choice:
spektrum

Total Props: 0
RC tv.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I finaly caught an episode of rc-tv today,loved it...drove my wife right out of the room
Set the pvr to record them all!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Jack Marcotte
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jack M
Radio of choice:
futaba and JR
# of RCs: 9-0

Total Props: 5
rctv

I don't understand when women do that?! lol
Jack Marcotte is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
homme de fer
RCC Contributor

I am: Marc A

RC TV is a hot topic on RC Canada so we have to be carefull about what we say lest the haters start in on us.

That said, I really enjoyed the jet rally part; I find RC jets to be absolutely fascinating.
homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
I like the show too, but that host drives me out of the room!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #5
Tmaxx4ever
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 1
RCTV

Personally, I think the idea behind the show is awesome. It's great that our hobby is getting some exposure on a national level. I hope it continues to air and continues to do good for the hobby.

That being said here are some of my thoughts and opinions on the show:

1) They need a new host. The current host (Nik Rak?) tries way too hard and comes off as an irritating fake on camera.

2) From a non-hobbyists point of view (which I think the show is aimed at) it is a very informative show. You get just enough of each segment of the hobby to make you start asking questions (which is the whole point of the show from an advertising point of view for the retailers and distributors) and give you an idea of what it's about.

3) From a hobbyists point of view, I find it very lacking. I get alot more R/C related content from reading various discussion forums and such however it still is entertaining to watch.

4) They need to take the focus away from those irritating guys doing the "so you wanna race" segment and pretty much all the characters in general. I don't give a flying crap about 2 noobs trying to race (with the emphasis on "trying"...they really suck at driving). I like it when they actually interview the hobbyists themselves as they are the ones that I wanna hear about. I want to see what they are doing and what makes their craft unique or special.

5) I find that, in general, the show is very immature and unprofessional. I sometimes feel like a 7 year old kid when I'm watching it. A few instances in particular:

A guy flying a plane gets tackled by a "drunk" guy at a big funfly with lots of families around?...and this is supposed to be a family oriented event? It's great that he is promoting the hobby in such a horrible light. Is this supposed to be entertaining? Cut the crap. It adds nothing to the show. If i want to see foolishness like that, I'll turn on Youtube or some late night TV show.

In the last segment, Nik, once again, pulls off a marvelous act of being in a restricted airport (as the camera shows a 40ish year old trainer jet full scale type plane that probably hasn't flown for 20 years) and the security guard comes over and hauls him away. WHY? Very useless part of the show that only makes it look like a "Joe Backyard" production. That sort of stuff should be left out of the show all together. That, again, is what youtube is for.

6) I would like to see the show done without any hosts....sort of like a documentary (you can figure out what the question was depending on the answer given by the hobbyist). Focus on the real hobbyists and not some crappy, annoying actors.

Nik: if you have read this, I hope you listen to what the guys are saying and think about it. You have a good thing going and we'd love to see it "take off".
Tmaxx4ever is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
rc999
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spektrum

I am just amazed that we have a show!On the last one they had that guy show us the subs he built from scrstch,which i thought was interessting.
As well as the jet segment.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
homme de fer
RCC Contributor

Tmaxx made some good points to help improve the show. Here is another one.

Nik probably interviewed many people at the many events he attended throughout the year. Obviously, during edit, he needs to cut quite a bit of it out. If possible, he should post everything on xten.tv to let us see more of the characters, drivers/pilots, and builders that didn't miss the cut. Sort of like an extended version of the show.

I think the show is geared more to attract new people to the hobby rather than to produce a show for the hard core. Having an extended version online would help Nik cater to both the newbies (on TV) and those already in the hobby (on line).
Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
rc999
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer
Tmaxx made some good points to help improve the show. Here is another one.

Nik probably interviewed many people at the many events he attended throughout the year. Obviously, during edit, he needs to cut quite a bit of it out. If possible, he should post everything on xten.tv to let us see more of the characters, drivers/pilots, and builders that didn't miss the cut. Sort of like an extended version of the show.

I think the show is geared more to attact new people to the hobby rather than to produce a show for the hard core. Having an extended version online would help Nik cater to both the newbies (on TV) and those already in the hobby (on line).
Yeah i think that about sums it up.They have the same 3 comercials running during the show.Brought to you by......etc..
But without the corp. money,there would be no show i guess.
Too bad it couldnt be an hour long,they may be able to go a little more in depth?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
homme de fer
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Too bad it couldnt be an hour long,they may be able to go a little more in depth?
Exactly. If Nik has the bandwidth on xten.tv, interview pilots/drivers, builders, and mechanics at all the events then post them all. Newbies get attracted to the hobby through the TV show, those already in the hobby get to see what their fellow flyers are up to and maybe learn a little something.

RC-TV has some potential to help the hobby in a lot of ways with some creative thinking and a co-operative spirit. If Nik, or anyone from RC-TV, is reading the thread, you might find something here that could make it a "win - win" for everyone.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
Ed Smith

I saw part of one episode. There was this loud mouthed MORON yelling and jabbing at the camera. That was it for me.

If this is how our hobby is to be represented then we are better off without this show. That idiot did not represent anybody I have met in this hobby. Some cement headed hockey hooligan yes, but not the typical model aviation enthusiast.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in