Vinyl Graphics Cutters - Page 36 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #351
akabek
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick B
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

Total Props: 3
Re: Vinyl Graphics Cutters

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had success tonight. Using the scan I traced the gasket, made a copy and flipped it 180 degrees. Than I erased the sections I did not need. I welded both parts together and sized it.

For the second gasket I traced it, enlarged it and erased parts I did not need. Than I added the bolt holes and the main pipe hole. I made some test cuts until I had the size I needed.

For the auto cutter I looked for the setting that had the slowest and deepest cut. It was not quite deep enough but close enough. Both gaskets are spot on. No I am assembly my new air frame and think about the graphics I will add to spice it up. Thanks for everyone's assistance.
akabek is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #352
akabek
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

I was able to use the scanned JPG file from my printer. What would the advantage be of using the pixscan mat? Would the image be more crisp using the original on the mat?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #353
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Trying my best to explain pixscan. For example if you want to reproduce a plywood former. of course you can you can just scan it and use that image .....but it won't be accurate. Problems arise as the scanner doesn't accurately reproduce the former.

First you have to calibrate your scanner or camera to the software. Once you have done this lay the former on the pixscan mat (it is sticky like the cutting mat) Take a picture making sure you get the registration marks that is on the pixscan mat in the picture. Try and be straight up from the pixscan mat and highest resolution on your camera. I place a white piece of paper on the mat before I lay the former down as it gives a sharper line. Import the image into the software and use the trace feature to establish the cut lines. I use sticky backed paper with removeable backing and place it on the pixscan mat. The most important part is the cutter has to find the registration marks on the pixscan mat to orientate itself to the image. once it's done that successfully it will make the cut. Pull the former off the mat and you now have a accurate template of the former.

Hope that helps to explain, there would be easier ways of doing what I just explained is the only example I could come up with that us airheads would understand. Think nose art and how Pixscan can be used for that.

It is a very powerful feature where you can accurately reproduce a item. Watch the Pixscan video on youtube
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #354
akabek
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

That makes sense. I had a feeling it would be around accurancy.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #355
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Trying my best to explain pixscan. For example if you want to reproduce a plywood former. of course you can you can just scan it and use that image .....but it won't be accurate. Problems arise as the scanner doesn't accurately reproduce the former.

First you have to calibrate your scanner or camera to the software. Once you have done this lay the former on the pixscan mat (it is sticky like the cutting mat) Take a picture making sure you get the registration marks that is on the pixscan mat in the picture. Try and be straight up from the pixscan mat and highest resolution on your camera. I place a white piece of paper on the mat before I lay the former down as it gives a sharper line. Import the image into the software and use the trace feature to establish the cut lines. I use sticky backed paper with removeable backing and place it on the pixscan mat. The most important part is the cutter has to find the registration marks on the pixscan mat to orientate itself to the image. once it's done that successfully it will make the cut. Pull the former off the mat and you now have a accurate template of the former.

Hope that helps to explain, there would be easier ways of doing what I just explained is the only example I could come up with that us airheads would understand. Think nose art and how Pixscan can be used for that.

It is a very powerful feature where you can accurately reproduce a item. Watch the Pixscan video on youtube
Thanks Mike. Understanding this process just makes this tool that much more useful.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #356
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

I tried cutting out a rib from 1/16 balsa using the deep cut blade and it worked pretty well. I used the max blade setting 20 to cut the balsa sheet. it didn't cut all the way, was fairly easy to finish the cut with a xacto blade. For the cross grain cuts I choose the perforate option instead of a complete cut. I tried 3/32 balsa sheet and the Cameo wouldn't load it as it was to thick. If I was doing 1 or 2 ribs I probably wouldn't use the Cameo, if I was doing a bunch of ribs definitely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3273.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	1119121  
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #357
akabek
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

I picked up a HIX heat press and made my first T-shirt. It turned out pretty good. I bought a pack of 4 black Tshirts and 4 white shirts from Costco. After taxes it comes out to $4.50 a shirt. I can see making logos and Tshirts becoming addictive.

5-6 years ago I owned a 2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory motorcycle so I did my Tshirt up around the bike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aprilia.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1129297   Click image for larger version

Name:	aprilia rsv4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	1129305   Click image for larger version

Name:	aprilia rsv4a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	1129313  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #358
jtsmash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jason T.
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 21

Craftshack.ca has good prices for vinyl. They carry oracal/avrey/siser they are in timmins ont. They have a sale starting on Monday if anyone needs to stock up check out their site.
IMAC 8158
jtsmash is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #359
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Thanks Rick!!

Turns out the font size I gave you was correct (They looked kinda big when I first got them) but they look great on the plane.
Thanks.
PS- I might need more soon

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vinyl%20graphics1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1249906   Click image for larger version

Name:	vinyl%20graphics2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1249914  

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #360
akabek
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24

Your welcome Max. They definitely do look like they fit. If you need more let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in