dope not sticking - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
khelsea

Total Props: 0
dope not sticking

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had to replace a panel of solartex on my beaver using buytrate clear w/ talcum to fill the weave and it''''s not sticking to it. Tightens up and lets loose of the surface. HELP!!!!!
Khelsea
khelsea is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6
Re: dope not sticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by khelsea View Post
I had to replace a panel of solartex on my beaver using buytrate clear w/ talcum to fill the weave and it''''s not sticking to it. Tightens up and lets loose of the surface. HELP!!!!!
Khelsea
Hard to say exactly what's going on.

I've been a "doper" for about 50 years. The only time I've had a no-stick issue is when the stuff I'm doping has some sort of contamination.

It just so happens that lacquer thinner works about the same as dope thinner and that will strip any crap off your surface.

You will also find that nitrate dope goes on easier than butyrate dope for the fill coats, costs less, dries much faster, shrinks your fabric and gives a great prep with no brush marks when it dries, if you happen to be brushing.

With nitrate, you must remember that it is not fuel proof with glow fuels and you cannot put it on top of butyrate, which is fuel proof to glow fuels.

It's also a good idea to finish off with a butyrate clear coat once everything, including trim and any vinyl stripes or whaterver trim you use, is done. Just go easy on the initial clear coats so you don't melt anything like vinyl. The final clear coat will seal all the edges of the trim.

Another possibility to check is that there may be some contamination in your dope or your delivery system if you are using a sprayer - the sprayer, the hoses, the compressor, the compressor tank or in your paint bucket or on your brush if you are brushing.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
khelsea

Is it possible to clean solartex w/lacquer thinner prior to spraying buytrate w/ buytrate thinner or will the lacquer thinner leave a residue that won't be compatible w/ the buytrate? Could it be that the infrared heat system I have is flashing off the surface too fast. Maybe I should start again w/nitrate to fill the weave and then buytrate for color, the rest of the beav is fine. Khelsea

Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Dzlstunter
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

Just a thought, khelsea: the word "clean" jumped out from your last response. Assuming the plane has been flown, the surfaces may very well have accumulated some stuff in the weave of the solartex which is rejecting your finishing coats. Acetone, or maybe some Prepsol or some other finishing treatment might help. But it MUST be clean if you are going to finish coat it. Good luck, Dzl
Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
khelsea

Thanks DZ but this is new solartexand the plane is new build. My dope came in today and I'll shoot dope primer first, 2 lite coats w/ 20 minutes between and let it sit till tommorow. I'm going to move it out from underneath the infrared heat when I spray and still haven't decide what I'm going to clean it with... shouldn't have too, it's new, clean dust off with damp cloth and go for it. I'm not going to go with MEK cause we have 30% humidity today. It's white solartex so I beleive it's a dyed material and not painted right? Wish me luck and thanks for everbodys help. Khelsea
Old 04-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Marcel B.
RCC Apprentice

One of the best de-greasers is Methyl Hydrate. I have never tried this on a plane, only for prepping aluminum for TIG welding, so...
Acetone will leave a residue, is toxic and stinks like heck. Not to mention all the stuff it dissolves.

If you try it, remember meths burns with an invisible flame, so be careful!

Last edited by Marcel B.; 04-19-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Marcel B. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in