Beginer question... maybe important!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
ckanroh
RCC Apprentice

I am: Cristian H

Total Props: 0
Elec Beginer question... maybe important!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a question for you guys.
I read about and I know how it works the safety thing in flying RC helicopters, the setting up a helicopter or an RC model.

My question is:
For flying a 4 channel or 6 channel RC helicopter I need some kind of licence from MAAC or I need to join a aircraft modelling club or something ? I mean that need a licence to have a 4 or 6 channel transmitter... how it works ??
ckanroh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: StewartW
Radio of choice:
Dx7s
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 12
Manitoba Re: Beginer question... maybe important!!

No you dont need anything! You just need to be in a safe area! If you want to fly at a club most sanctioned clubs are MAAC mandatory unless you are a guest of a member. Some towns and cities have bylaws for flying RC aircraft in populated areas, understandable due to safety reasons you are aware of.

If you want to just go to a SAFE area and learn to fly then do it. If you cant afford a membership at a club just contact a club and ask. While in S.W. Ontario I have learned that they will be more than willing to accomodate you and help if you want to learn.

Cheers guys!
Blade 130X
craneman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
ckanroh
RCC Apprentice

Re: Beginer question... maybe important!!

Thanks craneman32...

Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

I do not believe the number of channels has anything to do with it. Back when I started a radio license was required. That is no longer the case.

I may get some arguments regarding this opinion, but I believe any and all aircraft carry some risk and reducing that risk is wise from any angle. There are several ways to go about this and joining MAAC is a good idea. One of their first priorities is safety for yourself and anyone else.

Joining a local club places you in touch with others that may have much more experience with both the flight aspect and mechanical complexity of your type of craft. Having an extra pair of eyes to check over the machine is always a good bet. Believe me, some things can go unnoticed regardless how long and hard you look at it. I think this can be compared to "Target Fixation" and with a few decades in this hobby I can relate a few of my own "Homers" in that regard.

Trying to learn it all from scratch is not only inefficient, but unless you live well away from any club location it is likely wasteful as well.

Waxing philosophical., one of the old adages fits perfectly here:

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You will never live long enough to learn them all on your own".
Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

There are a few things going on that can be very confusing.

First legally: check your cities by-laws for their parks and rec department. Check with the school board if you're going to fly in their fields. For private property you need the owners approval. Maac is not required in any of these situations.

Smart thing to do: join maac and take advantage of their benefits and support RC as this is the body that represents us with the government and tries to protect our interests. That said, most join for the insurance. In order to qualify for the insurance though you need to meet all their safety requirements. Local clubs give you a place to legally fly as they either own or lease the land and have already put in place all the maac requirements to qualify for insurance but that means that everyone flying there needs to have maac as well. Keep in mind that owners permission and maac membership are only the beginning to qualify for the insurance....

Dumb thing to do: fly wherever and whenever you want then give the authorities a hard time when you get caught. Happens all the time...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but currently, the only reasons you'd need a license is due to higher power output of the radio and/or if you do FPV or aerial photography/videography commercially.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
kwm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Keith M

Total Props: 9

Keep in mind that MAAC only covers you at a MAAC sanctioned field or event, anywhere else you are on your own for any and all damage or injuries you may do to others or property.
kwm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm View Post
Keep in mind that MAAC only covers you at a MAAC sanctioned field or event, anywhere else you are on your own for any and all damage or injuries you may do to others or property.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this was changed in 2010? MAAC insurance now covers you as long as you follow all the safety rules and have permission of the owner.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=108641
Old 04-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

One more thing I have heard that it is illegal to fly RC within five miles of an airport. Cougar is this true?
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
ckanroh
RCC Apprentice

Elec Re: Beginer question... maybe important!!

Thanks Cougar429, waylander for the advices... good to know this things from the beginning for our safety and others. Thanks again.
I asked this because I was in rc models about ten years (boat modelling) and in the past you have needed some kind of licence for use of radio frequencies ranges of the transmitters (I think that was same for aircraft modelling also) but now ?!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensidus197217 View Post
One more thing I have heard that it is illegal to fly RC within five miles of an airport. Cougar is this true?
All the rules are on the maac website. I believe that there is both a distance and a height limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanroh View Post
Thanks Cougar429, waylander for the advices... good to know this things from the beginning for our safety and others. Thanks again.
I asked this because I was in rc models about ten years (boat modelling) and in the past you have needed some kind of licence for use of radio frequencies ranges of the transmitters (I think that was same for aircraft modelling also) but now ?!
I wasn't involved that far back but I think a ham license used to be required, not they are not as the frequencies used are allocated for our use. I think a ham is only required in very specific instances now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in