2.4 and electronic ignition question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
2.4 and electronic ignition question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Is 2.4Ghz affetced by stray rf signals such as the gasoline engine solid state ignition units?

I know I was always very cautious installing throttle and choke links (no metal, no battery or switches in close proximity to the ignition battery and wiring) when dealing with 72Mhz FM.

WHy am I asking? I was hoping to place my throttle and choke servos in my new plane up front and close to the firewall... since I am on 2.4 with this airframe for the first time in a large plane.

Anyone know for sure? (no guesses please).

Andrew
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Carl Layden
RCC Contributor

I am: Carl Layden

Total Props: 0
Re: 2.4 and electronic ignition question

Hi Andrew,

In practice and theory the answer is no. I'm sure there's someone out there that may disagree. In my own experience operating ignition systems with a 2.4 systems interference has never been an issue due to the ignition.

In theory the way 2.4 GHz systems work DSM2, spread spectrum, etc eliminates the potential for the interference. Two basic reasons, frequency is beyond that of the RF noise generated by ignition and the design of the receiver eliminates all signals not received from the transmitter it which it is bound.

I have seen a 2.4 GHz system experience interference. This was caused by a 2.4GHz video transmitter that did not comply with IEEE standards.

Hope that helps,
Carl

Golf : WHACK! F!
R/C Flying: F! WHACK!

Last edited by Carl Layden; 10-28-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Carl Layden is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
JeffElecRC
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeffrey T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
Is 2.4Ghz affetced by stray rf signals such as the gasoline engine solid state ignition units?

I know I was always very cautious installing throttle and choke links (no metal, no battery or switches in close proximity to the ignition battery and wiring) when dealing with 72Mhz FM.

WHy am I asking? I was hoping to place my throttle and choke servos in my new plane up front and close to the firewall... since I am on 2.4 with this airframe for the first time in a large plane.

Anyone know for sure? (no guesses please).

Andrew
Andrew,

Speaking as an electrical engineer, I will state that no one can tell you "for sure" that you are safe to put your servos close to your ignition. It will depend heavily on how well the ignition and wiring are shielded, the connector and signal quality between your receiver and servos, the locations and orientations of components in the system, etc. To quantify the noise in your system you have to contract a radiated emission expert and book some anechoic chamber time.

Short of that, the best answers you will get here will be "educated guesses" and personal experience. Here's my experience with my 2.4Ghz spektrum radio. In one plane I have a throttle servo within 2 inches of my gas igntion module and I do not have any issues. All I did was put an RF choke on the long wire back to the reciever. I did not use a choke servo, but I used an optical kill switch for the ignition battery.

On two other planes I have seen the igntion cause glitching in one or two servoes. This glitching I believe was caused by the servo signal wire directly (not the receiver) picking up noise from ignition because in both incidents all other servoes were rock solid. On one plane with twitching and deflecting ailerons at idle, I remedied this by shielding the spark-plug boot to the engine block and to the rest of the shielded spark plug cable (which was not previously shielded). On the other plane it was the throttle servo glitching at full throttle, I relecoted the throttle servo wire and it was fine.

Lots of people will tell you you should follow all the guidelines of a 72Mhz install because "the noise is still there and it is only hidden on 2.4Ghz, it will still cause problems you can't see, gremlins, etc...". While this advice is good because those practices of isolating components from noise will work with 2.4Ghz, the reasoning is wrong. The benefit of 2.4Ghz RF frequency with spread spektrum is that you are on a whole new playing field of noise. The low frequency noise caused by an ignition system will be orders of magnitude lower at 2.4Ghz then it would at 72Mhz. Add to that digital modulation techniques of DSS and FHSS, the noise caused by an ignition is insignificant. Of course there are other sources of noise at 2.4Ghz, but that is a whole new topic.

In short: install the components how you like. Do a range check with engine running. Ask someone to carefully monitor your servoes for twitching or random deflection.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Last edited by JeffElecRC; 10-28-2008 at 01:04 PM.
JeffElecRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
BillGreen
RCC Contributor

I am: Bill G
Radio of choice:
IX20, IX12
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 5

A personal experience was with a freinds 1/3 extra 330. Upon range checking with a 72 mhz rx, ignition noise was very apparent. We tried a PCM rx and got lockout during a running range check also. We decided to pull the 2.4 Rx out of his other gas plane, did a range check, no interfearance or lockout. Flew the airplane with great success and confidence.
I have personally have flown 2.4 on most of my planes, gas and glow. for the last 2 years.
Never had a glitch. I also use a data logger to verify the integrity of my system (spektrum) and arange satelite rx's for the least # of dropouts. My extra has the throttle and choke servo's mounted on the firewall box.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
3dflyer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: marc.c
Radio of choice:
hitec a9,jr 9303
# of RCs: 20

Thumbs up Re: 2.4 and electronic ignition question

hi andrew .to answer your question.i have a wildhare extra 260 with a zdz 80,the choke servo and throttle servos are close to the firewall and so is my ignition battery.i switched to 2.4 when i bought the plane back in april.i,m running two satalite receivers and have not had any issues with any interference.i have many flights on my plane.so far so good.just my 2cts.

life begins under 10ft and ends at ground zero.
fly it like you hate it.
troy built sponsored pilot.
cambrain rc flyers
3dflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Thanks for the responses, guys!

It appears that I can mount my servos up near the firewall - of course I will thoroughly range test the aircraft with the engine running - but I have confidence now that it will not cause trouble based on what I have read here.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in