Charging Deep Cycle Battery with RC Charger - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #11
twistedge
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8, NX8
# of RCs: ½

Total Props: 30
Re: Charging Deep Cycle Battery with RC Charger

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks Len,

I'm also thinking that my Hyperion RC charger can handle the job, but I'll find out when I actually do the test. (The marine battery is for a trolling motor on a current boat project). I will buy a small battery tender to maintain it over the winter, but I'm planning to do the main charge cycles with what I have.

I think you may have reversed the the plate design for the type of deep cycle batteries I'm talking about. Everything I've seen says that Deep Cycle uses larger, more robust plates. (Battery University Link)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batteries.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	658377  
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #12
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

As it was explained to me any years ago the makeup of the plates is what I was referring to. Yes you are correct in stating the plates themselves are much thicker/heavier with the true deep cycle to handle the more charge and discharge cycles. Yes Pb/acid battery usage/application can turn into a pretty deep conversation with the various types available and there are so many good sites on line available with excellent information from manufacturers.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
twistedge
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8, NX8
# of RCs: ½

Total Props: 30

A very solid point Len... I'll definitely do some research into the make up the plates themselves. Thanks for the clarification.
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

I prefer to use a quality deep cycle battery that is fillable ( when needed) with DISTILLED water and not river,well or tap water as the minerals will shorten the life every time. All deep cycle batteries are not equal. Have tried many times with my father in law on that point to make that and overcharging a killer for any battery. He keeps wondering why he has to change his rv battery every 2 years and I am into my 8th year . Just had mine tested and it is working just fine. The annual cost of that battery keeps shrinking every year.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #15
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1

We just purchased a used power wheels vehicle for our kids, and it comes with the smaller, 12v sealed lead acid batteries. Since it didn't come with the stock charger, I used my hobby charger and alligator clips. Set for 1amp charge rate, the battery took the charge wonderfully. Plus, with the automatic shut offs and safety parameters, I feel more comfortable charging with my hobby charger as opposed to a regular Canadian Tire unit.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #16
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

As long as a charger is rated as an automatic low rate charger you will be fine but I might mention that those sealed lead acid batteries do have a limited life cycle. my understanding they were really meant for standby low draw power supply for house alarms and similar.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #17
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

batteryuniversity.com

black and decker 2/6/10A smart battery charger works for me, iirc $13 at the clearance centre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in