Foamies and the future...... - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #51
Scale Freak

Total Props: 0
Re: Foamies and the future......

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Yes I get it that some people just don't want to or don't have the ability to build things and it is a real bonus for them but... to say that you can't build one as nice as a foamy... Hoo Boy! They aren't that special!
Prairie, Ill amend my statement, can i build a model that as nice and probably better than a foamy (ill also add, a foamy that is a decently detailed scale one)? Yes. Do I desire to? There's the question, and its mostly no, I don't.
I built a Top Flight Gold edition C182 kit. and it came out pretty darn nice if I may say so. But, the time to add and mod the kit to achieve the little details that made it so nice, take a huge amount of time. I would not spend that on every model as if I did, id never fly.
The Beaver has all sorts of little details that are just there and would take time, or would be left off just because of the time to add them. The Seawind, would I build it out of balsa? No, I would not, the internal required structure would be heavy and covering nothing but compound curves is a PITA. So for this one, the foamy wins. Making it out of fiberglass? sure, if you want to make a pattern, then a plug and then lay it up. Don't have that space or luxury of time, or cash on hand.
I am currently working on drawing up plans for a deHavilland Buffalo that one day I will begin building, and it will have all the features of the full size, including the split rudder and rear cargo doors.
Can I build a museum quality model? yes. Do I want to? Yes. Will I? probably only one or two...maybe..
The new foamies give me a model that I can enjoy flying as it has pretty decent look, and honestly, I don't have the desire to spend 50 hours or more building every plane.
Is building important? yes, I do think it is and has given me the ability to work out problems and modify to achieve what I want and its given me a deeper appreciation for modeling overall.
Is it mandatory? no, and I don't think we need to look down on those who don't want to build, but encourage them and just maybe, they will take an interest and want to build a design of their at some point.

Last edited by Scale Freak; 10-30-2016 at 08:29 AM.
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #52
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

I can accept that, quite a reasonable stance.

I guess what bugs me is statements to the effect that planes can't be hand built to the foamy and ARF standards. No you didn't put it quite like that but it was leaning that direction and it is in my nature to reach over and straighten the statement up a bit.

Yes I have a foamy Beaver too(by default, bought for someone else and he changed his mind)and I have flown it. It flies fine and looks reasonably scale in the air. I am happy with that part but on the ground it shouts "Foamy" from any angle you look at it. Definitely not contest material. It is what it is, a reasonably priced plane to go and fly, nothing more and certainly nothing I would invest any pride of ownership in. There are thousands just exactly like it out there and as long as you have the money you to can have one too.

As for not having time to build there is some merit to that too, the present workplace culture is demanding more of us all the time. However if you really love building you will find the time - period. If you don't there is ARFs a foamies galore out there.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #53
scochrane
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Stephen Cochrane
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 4

I got back into flying 5 years ago, after a 35 year absence from flying, upped from C/L to a radio kit and balsa AFT. Joined a club but never got my wings, quit the club a couple years ago. Fast forward to a couple months ago. Bought an Apprentice RTF, electric. Went out with a buddy that flys and was off to the races on the first flight. Now, truth but told, the transmitter was set to 'beginner' but I feel confident that I can fly on the intermediate and advanced settings, might have to switch to beginner for the first couple landings in the advanced settings.

I built from kits in my c/l days, enjoyed it. If I could find a kit to build I wouldn't say no although I see and appreciate the appeal of an ARF. I miss the c/l days too, but where do you buy the supplies to build? Even eBay falls short.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #54
Harvard 387
RCC Contributor

I am: Don Forness
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: 38

Total Props: 3

I have been building and flying RC for 40+ years, balsa and glue. Bought a couple of foamies, didn't like the way they fly, especially in the wind (which we got lots of on the prairies). Got a couple of electric balsa planes, flew better but were discontinued by the manufacturer.
I decided to go back to what I enjoy......building AND flying nitro planes and gassers.
I started with white glue and epoxy, still enjoy it. As a friend of mine said once, "I built a purple plane 'cause I like purple and I got to look at it when I fly." White glue and epoxy it is.
What I don't like is the chirping about "old fashioned " or "dinosaurs". Hopefully there is enough room and passion enough in this hobby for all of us. I don't encourage anyone to build OR to buy.....it's your hobby, enjoy it your way!
I will spend Winter building my nitro "slimers" 'cause....last I looked.....they were all mine and I like 'em.
Harvard 387 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #55
Geebeeflyer
RCC Noob

I am: Frank M
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Foamies have their place I like them for indoors and on very calm nights , it can be very relaxing velcro a battery on and going and can been flown just about any where
Geebeeflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in