Clear Coat Over a Model? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
psam

Total Props: 0
Clear Coat Over a Model?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello

I just finished scratch building a combat plane. It has a foam wing and a gutter pipe fuse. I was told some people used on Mac Tac for a covering instead of Monocoat so I decided to try it. The results were OK but the problem I am having is when I try to attach some trim colors to it I can't find anything that will stick. I am now using Sign Vinyl which has a sticky back and applying two coats of contact cement to each surface and it is not bad. My question is is there a clear coat or something that I can apply after the vinyl that till help seal in vinyl so it will not peal off?

I tried covering it with Minwax Polyurethane Clear Gloss and it seems to seal OK but it discolored the white covering.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
psam is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0
To be honest it sounds like you added a lot of weight. Hope it doesn't hinder the model too much. Not critisizing, just a comment.

For my combats with a foam wing I use "Solar Film"; about $13-$14 a role. It uses minimal heat so won't hurt the foam. I normally go with all white then use a contrasting color of either more solar film or some vinyl peel n stick to make a visible pattern on top and 2 strips on the bottom . This let's me determine my orientation in the sky while flying.

I personally found the neon colors against the white (orange and/or pink) stand out the best when using the vinyl and the transparent blue on white when using more solar film.

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in