Engines Discuss engines

Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8
Stupid prop question...

I have a Evo .46NT in my Pitts, and have been running a 10x7 prop. It hasn't been performing that well lately, and I noticed that the benchmark prop for this engine is a 11x6. Would it make a big difference? And, does running a smaller prop hurt the engine?
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Re: Stupid prop question...

Hmmmm....the smaller prop is better for the engine lifewise. 11 x 7 is probably too much load and may overheat your engine.
Please tell us what type of fuel you are running ? how old is it? where do you store it?
outside on the patio? etc
Also, what brand and number glow plug you are running?
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
pipercub17
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
frsky or JR
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassat View Post
Hmmmm....the smaller prop is better for the engine lifewise. 11 x 7 is probably too much load and may overheat your engine.
Please tell us what type of fuel you are running ? how old is it? where do you store it?
outside on the patio? etc
Also, what brand and number glow plug you are running?

Hmmmm
this is not true one of the biggest problems in this hobby is guys trying to get max rmp
out of there engine
running small props = more rpm
more Rpm is not always a good thing
the standard was a 10/6 prop for this size engine but now days thay have more power
you have to mach the prop to the plane i would try a 11/6 or better yet a 12.25/3.75 apc if this one http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=APC123038
give the bigger one a try you wont be sorry
also this one would be worth trying http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=APC115040
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
wymbly1971
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9E
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

There's no such thing as a stupid prop question. Choosing the "right" one is an art....

The 11x6 will pull harder, but with a decrease in top speed.

You'll likely find a small drop in max RPM and maybe a rise in engine temp.

Matching the prop to the plane is an important factor. A prop that is over pitched may cause your aircraft to have landing speeds that are too fast, for example.

At least that's the theory......
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate

Last edited by wymbly1971; 09-02-2010 at 12:00 AM.
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
gkm41
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Gary

Total Props: 0

Great point, one that I always try to tell people but few listen... the prop not only has to be matched to the engine but to the plane as well... there are always suggested starting points, but if you have a large Yak type cowl, sometimes a larger prop is needed, and the type of plane always plays a huge factor, from a high drag trainer to a sleek pattern ship, it all makes a large difference... as does the type of prop.... you can ask all kinds of questions, but comes down to some experimenting with different types of props and different fuels until you get something that you are happy with,,, all hands on kinda stuff.
gkm41 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12

Hi

It,s not about youre prop , but it is a question about youer engine . You mentioned that youre engine doesn,t run well .

Change the O-ring on the needle valve , for an OS , O-ring , BIG difference .

These are good engines .

BTW ,............... the only stupid question , is the one you DIDN,T ask , I think youre question is good

Michel
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
sport_flying
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Sport Flying
Radio of choice:
JR/Spetrum

Total Props: 1

I fly with a fellow who was using an 11x7 on a GMS47. I gave him an 11x6master airscrew to try. It made a huge difference providing longer flight times and increased performance.
The engine will rev a little higher but will be well within the proper operating range.
The 11x7 propellor is more suited to a .60 size engine.
sport_flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
twobladeprop
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jason H.
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean2287 View Post
I have a Evo .46NT in my Pitts, and have been running a 10x7 prop. It hasn't been performing that well lately, and I noticed that the benchmark prop for this engine is a 11x6. Would it make a big difference? And, does running a smaller prop hurt the engine?
A rule of thumb for glow engines is to run them on the rich side of lean for one, and second high rpms always kill engines. Over rev and expect disaster. I have learnt to always over prop and under pitch. With a 12X4 on that engine, expect awsome thrust and not that crazy of revs. Especially with a biplane.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobladeprop View Post
With a 12X4 on that engine, expect awsome thrust and not that crazy of revs. Especially with a biplane.
Great prop for a Funfly plane but, the issue may be speed.

I flew (or attempted to) my Kyosho Pitts with an MVVS 45 running a funfly prop (APC 12.25x3.75), the engine ran great but I couldn't reach sufficient speed to keep her much above a stall (when I could get her off the ground). I went to an 11x6 and she was an entirely new aircraft, quite capable of sustaining knife edge etc.

As already mentioned, matching engine to prop to aircraft is more art than science, keeping the engine from over-revving or overheating is the first concern, getting the aircraft in a decent flight envelope the second.

I'm not sure what Pitts you own but, for a Pitts, I doubt there will be any issue of any prop (for that engine/plane combination) resulting in too high a speed at idle (assuming the engine is tuned to achieve a decent idle) to land.

Also, as already said, I would like to emphasize running the engine a little rich, this will keep the engine cool as the extra fuel will absorb heat and remove it through the exhaust.
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Thanks for all the replys, great information...

Jim - Mine is also the Kyosho Pitts. The engine is the Evo .46NT or "Trainer Power System". It's a GREAT engine, very consistant and strong...I really shouldn't have said that the engine isn't running well lately, in retrospect the plane has always been lacking a bit of thrust, most noteably for loops. If I've got the needle set spot-on she pulls just enough, but other times not quite enough.

So the question then is - would a 11x6 give me more thrust than a 10x7 for this engine. My understanding is that the best thrust comes from a higher diameter prop with a lower pitch, provided the rpm's aren't reduced too much. If the overall load on the engine is apx. the diameter x the pitch, then an 11x6 would actually produce a bit less engine load than a 10x7. In fact, a 12x5 should produce even less load...

fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in