RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 03-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #171
Michael in Toronto
RCC Contributor

I am: Michael R

Total Props: 12
Re: Is Glow Dead?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsone View Post
I would agree with you Roger and I believe the individuals here on the forum agree as well for the most part. The thing I notice on these forums is one will start a thread like this one IS GLOW DEAD? and when they give their opinions they don't answer the thread they go off into another hemisphere and start a different one. If people would stay with the topic these forums would go much smoother.
The title of the thread is "IS GLOW DEAD".

The opening posts asks for our thoughts.

Although glow is not dead, it's overall use is in a significant enough decline that it is not economically viable for hobby stores to keep as large an inventory as other power sources.

I am not denigrating glow power, I am not denigrating those who use it, and I am not including opinions (in this post) as to why I believe it is in decline.

That is my dispassionate thought.
Michael in Toronto is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #172
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 13

Paragraph #1

I feel that looking down on people who aren't as good or experienced at something as you are is a massive character flaw...but one so common it's just a part of the human condition I guess. I can guarantee that for everything you are good at there is someone better and also that everybody on this forum is better at something than you. Is that licence to look down at you?

Paragraph #2

That my friend is a horrible attitude!

MAAC nor sanctioned clubs have any thing to do with whether or not you are part of this hobby! Just like not being a card carrying Conservative member does not exempt you from being Canadian!

In reference to Paragraph #1 from COSMITH. I'm glad that you had the discipline, and interest to join MAAC, as well as an organized model aircraft club. Clearly, you are also safety conscious, and don't believe that flying over people is a good idea. I agree with you.
I was at the local shopping mall a few weeks ago, and two guys were flying quads above the parking lot that was full of cars, people and maybe even a large breed dog. At no point did they ever get above 30', and were considerable lower than that most of the time. According to you, those guys are part of the hobby. According to me, they aren't.
I have also seen guys flying in Edward Gardens with lots of people around. Again, in my books, that isn't part of the hobby.

Thanks for pointing out all of my character flaws, as well as deficiencies in my skills. Also, thanks for pointing out that I look down at people. Did that make you feel good? I am actually quite a humble individual, and don't look down at anyone. I would have welcomed the guys in the parking lot, or Edwards gardens to come to our field and fly safely.

Then there are the parents that buy RC models, cars, quads, planes... for kids for Christmas. Most of those have Lipo batteries, and the risk is that the parents probably didn't get much instruction on the proper care required to handle LIPO batteries safely. I would also welcome those people to join our club, and I would gladly share what limited skills I have to offer. Prior to that, I don't know if you could really call them part of the hobby, or are they just playing with toys? A large number of them will never have a clue about the safety issues, or that there are clubs available to help them.

There might be some things that I am good at, there may even be a few things that I am better at than you, but it isn't very likely is it.

Mr. Prairie Redneck... You are correct. You don't need to be part of MAAC to be part of the hobby. You really don't even need to be part of a club. Like COSMITH, there are thousands of safety minded individuals that truly enjoy the hobby, have a passion for it, and would never put anyone at risk by taking part in the hobby. For some of them, they may be in remote areas, and it may be impractical to join a club.

Contrary to your comment about my attitude, I think my attitude is fine. What's more, I think that your attitude is also fine.

For those that may be offended by the lack of grammatical skills in my posting, I tried not to use run on sentences, and I tried to use the correct punctuation, but I was not an english major, and my skills aren't as good as many others. Please show some mercy while looking down from above.

OH, one final point. I think that glow is still hanging on, and I like it.
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #173
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

If I recall correctly, the OP a couple years ago burnt up 40-50 gals of glow fuel in one season......that is a commendable feat..

Glow is still alive but is splitting sharing the air with gas and elctric....there is enough room for all of us up there

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #174
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
If I recall correctly, the OP a couple years ago burnt up 40-50 gals of glow fuel in one season......that is a commendable feat..

Glow is still alive but is splitting sharing the air with gas and elctric....there is enough room for all of us up there
Yes, Curt. That was a great year!! Haven't come close that 45 jugs, but my trunk STILL smells from that season...
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #175
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

The "Never ending Glow Thread", love-it!
Ha-ha.
-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 03-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #176
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Hunter View Post
The "Never ending Glow Thread", love-it!
Ha-ha.
-Dale-

You have your ways Dale, we have ours....lol

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #177
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

I still fly Glow occasionally. Saito's, love them. Full case of glow fuel in my Cargo trailer.
Heck I flew a Control Line flight shortly before Christmas.
-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 03-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #178
Me109G
RCC Contributor

I am: William
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX9
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 4

Never got to do control line my dad and I built a training control line kit it was the sig sky ray I tried to fly it but wouldn't fly so it ending up getting given away plus at the time I was kind of terrified of it.
Me109G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #179
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Everybody Fly, lots!
Heck I will get some flying in tomorrow (that's the plan).
-Dale-

Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #180
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

If you want to know if something is dead you poke it with a stick. If it jumps up and bites you it's not dead!

I think that just happened here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in