Reciever range? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
Reciever range?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just bought a Hitec Micro 05S reciever and was wondering if I can use it for a 40 size plane. It says it has full range capabillity so is there a reason you can't use it on a 60 or 90 size plane? Some type of electrical limitations maybe? Some one please enlighten me. I actually want to use it on a SPAD.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=HIT25572

What about other park flyer recievers? I know GSW have range limitations but some do not say. If you do a range check and it seems fine are you good to go?

Cheers. George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
Re: Reciever range?

Not quite what you asked but a reason for not using it (IMO as it is single conversion) in a larger-than park flyer type plane:

From the hitec site:
Quote:
Q. What is the difference between "Dual Conversion" and "Single Conversion"?
A. A single conversion receivers have only one "mixer" stage. The receiver takes the incoming signal and mixes it with the local oscillator signal. The different frequency is then amplified as the Intermediate Frequency (IF) and detected for use. The draw back with single conversion is that there is a chance of "image" reception. This is where, depending on the receiver tuning, the receiver will pick up an image of another frequency at either the high or low end of the band.
A dual conversion receiver has two mixer stages and two local oscilators. This eliminates the chances of image reception. Dual conversion also allows for better interference rejection.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9

Hi,

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that JR receivers are single stage for 72mhz. I also know of people who have used the Micro 05 in 40 size planes with no problems. To be sure, you may want to ask Hitec.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

I also have one of these.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Ch_72Mhz___(v2)

Some guys have used them on larger planes, but they are not described as "park flyer" recievers. I don't think that range would be an issue and I've had no problems with it on my small electric yet.

Thanks for the info guys.

George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Hi George.... I have two of the Hitec 05S RXs' sitting here also waiting for homes.
I asked the same question a while back and was told that range would not be an issue as they are full range, but being single conversion may be more susceptable to hits and interferance.
Only one way to find out for sure.... put one in a Spad and give her a whirl. Where we fly, it will probably be a non issue and work just fine.

Regards
Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

Wayne, JR utilize some configuration they call ABCW or something like that, which they say is every bit as effective as dual-conversion - why they should go another route is difficult to see - dual-conversion is not patented anymore and, although it does introduce other spuria, these are of minor consquence compared with the main advantage, especially how our bands are set up, of much superior image rejection. Castle Crations had an excellent article written, I think, by Peter BERG on the difference. Dual-Conversion are not more sensitive than single-, they are just much less susceptible to image interference, so single- is used for lighter, simpler receivers and I suspect that they are designed to have less sensitivity and thus range, to reduce this form of interference for Park, etc..
But quite honestly George, as the Captain said, 'why would you want to sink the ship for a ha-pence worth of tar'?
Thanks for bearing with me , guys!
P.S. I still think the Micre-05 is a great little receiver though.

Last edited by Spitball; 06-29-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9

Hi Spitball,

Thanks for the explaination, I agree I think the Micro 05 is a great receiver as well.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

All of my JR receivers are single-conversion. I have read some articles which state that single and dual conversion receivers both have their flaws, but I can't provide any quotes to say so.

I personally would fly that thing in a SPAD, but others may not. I would be a little wary on that Corona synthesized jobbie, I've read some poor reviews of those. I might save that one for the park flyer.

Any swap meets coming up in Alberta, George? You can pick up 72mhz receivers for a handful of magic beans these days. Also, if you pick them up off of RCGroups you can get them for a song, since postage rates in the US are half what they are here.

Cheers,
Ben

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in