nitro/electric debate... - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

View Poll Results: How should electrics and nitro be dealt with at series races?
Run electrics and nitros together and score together? 13 15.48%
Run electrics and nitros together and score separately? 15 17.86%
Run electrics and nitros separately, and score separately? 56 66.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #41
DOCTORDREW
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
il say it sgain...
if you are willing to run 4 monster trucks in a 30 min main,
why wouldnt you run 4 e buggys in a 10 min main???????????

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #42
Stalker
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jeff F

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash metal View Post
i agree with you guys in that if there are enough numbers of electric buggy then set up a seperate class for them.

but i dont agree with keeping an electric guy on the sidelines just because there arent enough of them to have a seperate class.

let them join in on the racing is all im saying and once you have enough electrics entries then create a seperate class.
That is exactly what I was thinking and what we are planning on doing at our place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFBCAP View Post
To help keep the focus of this pole on track...

If there were 50 'electric guys' and 50 'nitro guys' registered for a race with (buggy and/or truggy), then how would you like to see it handled in respect to running and scoring?
If it were a situation like that then most definitely run and score them seperately. I really liked the triple a main idea that was posted above... it is definitnely something to think about.... I might have to play with RC Scoring Pro and see how that works...
Caster ZX1.5R Pro, EX1.5R Pro, SK10 Pro
Stuck to the dirt by VP Pro Tires
Stalker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #43
Narly1
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
The os speed is a fully modded motor. It even comes with a hard coated crank. The two batteries, speed controller and motor in your revo cost more than a speed. I'm not sure why you keep going back to this price point. Just to finish a full length A main you'd need a FORTUNE in batteries. If you're going to throw the cost of fuel into the mnix, consider this - I ran about 7.5 gallons of fuel last year, and will do about the same this year. This season i got 8 gallons for $35.00 a bottle, which comes to $280.00 canadian. Substantially less than the cost of the batteies you need to finish the mt main.
Except that those same batteries will likely last for more than one season.

The electric motor and ESC have a similar chance of lasting that long. Can the same be said for a nitro motor? In considering this model you also have to consider fuel costs for the additional season.

I suspect if you accurately compare operating costs over a more appropriate time interval (2 seasons) that electric is more economical than nitro.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #44
imported_smeerdude
RCC Contributor

i think the poll results pretty much say it all.
imported_smeerdude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #45
Mac
RCC Supreme Contributor

Also if run them seperate it will also allow racers that want to, to run both classes!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #46
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
also if run them seperate it will also allow racers that want to, to run both classes!
hey i was saving that one for the end!!!!
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #47
Dannie J
RCC Noob

IMO: Keeping them seprate = less wining.
FS RACING 1/8 TRUGGY FULL CAGE!!!
Spektrum DX3R!!!
Dannie J is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #48
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
Except that those same batteries will likely last for more than one season.

The electric motor and ESC have a similar chance of lasting that long. Can the same be said for a nitro motor? In considering this model you also have to consider fuel costs for the additional season.

I suspect if you accurately compare operating costs over a more appropriate time interval (2 seasons) that electric is more economical than nitro.

Narly1
this is a debate about running and scoring together or separately.
as it applies to glorcs, we allow 3 bumpups per main and have 15 minute c's and lower, 20 minute b's and 30 minute a's (or longer if time permits).
The whole point of layoing out the cost of the equipment was to outline that you can't compete with an electric buggy in a nitro series because you'll never have enough money invested in batteries to bump from main to main if you need to. we award the podium in the nitro races by allowing them to bump and race on. you just plain can't do that in a reasonable time frame with electric cars unless its the million dollar boys club.
And all the above is ASIDE from the other differences between the two.
They're two different animals, and when you race them competitively, you need to have separate classes, scoring, rules and procedures.
Club racing is a whole different ball of wax.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #49

Total Props: 57
I don't understand why all the negativity towards adding E-Classes to the series!? They definitely have to have separate rules and regulations, no questions about it! The E-monster trucks have been racing in the series for two seasons now and have been scored separating successfully and everyone seems to fine with them entered into the time sheets. All the major manufactures have developed and/or creating E-Buggy/Truggy for competition I really don't see a problem with adding them to the field (in separate classes via separate rules, of coarse)

This past season the series has evolved with the entries of two new classes... We now run Electric powered Slash Trucks in the series and they have their own scoring!! Also the Gas powered 1/5 scale Baja and are also scoring separately. These two examples are definitely not "Nitro" but are raced and scored in the Glorcs Series! When the series started the E-machines didn't exist and now they do. So myself along with many others think its time for some expansion of the series to help further the interest in the series! The finals this weekend at Glenwood will be a true example of how they can all be ran in a timely manner, all within a race weekend, even with them running 10th scale electric Trucks!! :GRIN:
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #50
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

re electrics in glorcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalShield View Post
I don't understand why all the negativity towards adding E-Classes to the series!? They definitely have to have separate rules and regulations, no questions about it! The E-monster trucks have been racing in the series for two seasons now and have been scored separating successfully and everyone seems to fine with them entered into the time sheets. All the major manufactures have developed and/or creating E-Buggy/Truggy for competition I really don't see a problem with adding them to the field (in separate classes via separate rules, of coarse)

This past season the series has evolved with the entries of two new classes... We now run Electric powered Slash Trucks in the series and they have their own scoring!! Also the Gas powered 1/5 scale Baja and are also scoring separately. These two examples are definitely not "Nitro" but are raced and scored in the Glorcs Series! When the series started the E-machines didn't exist and now they do. So myself along with many others think its time for some expansion of the series to help further the interest in the series! The finals this weekend at Glenwood will be a true example of how they can all be ran in a timely manner, all within a race weekend, even with them running 10th scale electric Trucks!! :GRIN:
i couldnt agree more with you there calvin. the glenwood guys realize that showcasing the new brushless products will only encourage people to buy one themselves. i for one am glad that glorcs is finally going to run a 1/8 electric buggy class next season. i hope eventually they will run an electric truggy class also. ( when that time comes i will no longer own a nitro powered rc. )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in