Masking canopies using Parafilm - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Jim Connell
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jim R

Total Props: 0
Masking canopies using Parafilm

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Everyone

I’m hoping that someone out there can provide me a Canadian supplier for a medical product called “Parafilm”. It is a transparent film which can be stretched and then molded onto any irregular surface. I have read recently about other modelers using this product to mask off canopies before spray painting with great success and I would like to give it a try. But I don’t know just where to get some locally (Edmonton) and the US internet sites that sell this product are asking a fortune to ship one box up north. I would like to purchase one 4 inch x 125 box.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Connell
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Below is a description from a medical website on just how to use this product to mask off areas, in case you are interested.

Masking applications:
Parafilm will confirm to any surface and fill in the tightest corners. It comes up easily and leaves no residue behind on the surface being protected. It is the preferred material by many for model masking. To use in this application, the as-received Parafilm® M is a waxy-rubbery thin substance with a release paper backing. The recommended procedure is to cut out a thin strip from either the 2" or 4" rolls and slowly stretch to about four times is original length and let is set for about one minute. This permits it to stress relax resulting in the development of a nice "tackiness" to the stretched material. This is when the thin strip is applied to the surface requiring protection and masking. Use normal finger pressure to massage it into a good adhesive situation with regard to the substrate surface. After painting, it will come back up with the gentle lift of a toothpick. And unlike a number of other masking agents, it will absolutely not leave behind a residue on the protected surface.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Frequentcrasher
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff M

Masking

That stuff sounds fantastic! if you find a supplier, please post it here with prices. I've been using liquid latex for masking canopies. It works very well, but it's quite time consuming and somewhat difficult to get really sharp corners. Good luck.
Jeff
Old 03-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
rusty33
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: dave a

Fisher Scientific Ltd.
112 Colonade Rd.
Ottawa, Ontario
K2E 7L6
tel. 613-226-8874

www.fishersci.ca

There will definitely be a number of local reps in Edmonton. If you have trouble getting satisfaction, pm me and I will see what I can do.

We use this every day in a chem lab

rusty
rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Jim Connell
RCC Apprentice

Hi rusty

First and foremost, thanks for the Canadian web site selling Parafilm. The price is not too bad but I’m afraid that I must continue my search. If I am reading their web page correctly the 4 inch x 125 ft rolls are sold only in a case of 12. This is way more than I need. In fact if you do the math based upon the fact that this stuff is suppose to be first stretched to 3 to 4 times its original length, that would mean that a couple of inches of this stuff would be sufficient to do cover most canopies. So 125 feet would be capable of covering about 750 canopies! So 12 rolls (a case) is definitely not in my plans.

When I do get my one roll (from where ever I can find it) I now know that it will be more than I ever will use in my life time so I would be willing to send some samples to anyone else who might wish to give this product a try.

But thanks again rusty for the help.

Jim Connell
Old 03-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
If you know anybody that works in a "wet" lab, particularly in the medical field, they should be able to score you a foot or two. This stuff is nothing but soft parafin wax spread real thin on a paper backing and when rolled into a ball becomes a candle or crayon.

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
rusty33
RCC Senior Contributor

Jim,

give me a day on this. HOw much would you like, and what width?

rusty
Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Jim Connell
RCC Apprentice

Hi Rusty

Thanks for your interest in helping me get some Parafilm in which to try.

If we are talking about getting a full package, I would be interested in one roll that is 4 inches x 125 feet long.

If you have access to “samples” I would really need only a 4 inch by 1 foot section in which to try this product out on several different canopies. So that would be great help.

I am currently building a Hawker Hurricane Mk I (not yet completed) and I was also considering the possibility of using the Parafilm in helping me mask off the fuselage and wing top while spray painting the early RAF camouflage pattern. I figured if I painted the brown pattern on first, once if was dry I could use the Parafilm across the entire wing and then use a sharp exacto knife to cut away the areas to be painted green. Since this stuff is suppose to be clear this should be an easy way to mask off these irregular shaped areas. So If I wish to try this idea out as well I would guess that I would need a least 10 feet of the stuff.

Having said all of that however I would appreciate any help you could provide for any amount (4 inches wide) up to one box and more than willing to pay whatever is fair.

Thanks again.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plane21_146.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	23170   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane11_139.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	23171  
Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
flysrcs
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Bob,
As an alternative. Have you heard about liquid mask. It can be brsuhed or sprayed on through an airbrush. Water based sao no bad fumes. VERY easy to use. Just apply it let it dry for a couple of hours then cut away the area ro be painted. In the real of this hobby it's cheap to. Under $20.00 for a pint. This goes a very long way. I've used it for a couple of years know and its the easiest asnd yields the best results. I've tried the product you have mentioned and this works better.
Dave
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
rusty33
RCC Senior Contributor

Jim,

You can try a company called Cole Parmer. We deal with the regularly. The page of interest is the following url:
http://www.coleparmer.ca/catalog/pro...sp?sku=0672040

I don't know if they have a minimum, but I don't believe they do.

good luck,

rusty
Old 03-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Jim Connell
RCC Apprentice

Parafilm ordered

Hi Rusty

The second Canadian pharmaceutical web site (http://www.coleparmer.ca) was better than the first in which they selling Parafilm in single roll quantities. Because of this I have ordered my roll of Parafilm from this company for $23.49 cdn. plus shipping, which certainly does not seem too bad.

When the stuff does arrive and I get a chance to try it out masking out canopies and aircraft surfaces for painting, I will post my impressions on whether it is a useful RC building accessory in this forum. I will probably get to that point on my current build sometime within a month.

Thanks for your help in my Parafilm quest.

Jim
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in