Big problem with Spektrum DX7... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
JVFan
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Yves Sabourin

Total Props: 0
Big problem with Spektrum DX7...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all rc plane fans,

Last september, I bought a Spektrum DX7, I install it in my new Pulse XT, I flown this plane but like we were at the end of the season, I found it was not perfect, so this spring I install a receiver in a new SuperSporster 60, I went to the field and try to make a good flight, but the impression is I lost for a moment the transmission, so I land, rebind the plane with the transmitter, make all my check and go up for an other flight, at the same place, I completely lost the signal and the plane accelerate and dive to the earth with the result you know, nothing good, all the servos exploded, the engine was broken at the base of the cylinder and the plane completely demolished.

So I take my radio and the receiver to my hobby shop and explain the case, they send it to Horizon Hobby and three weeks later I received my radio with a brand new receiver no charge.

So I install the new receiver in an old Tiger II, I made all my test and binding, I went to the field and at the same place, I begun to lost control, I can take back the plane to land with difficult and I went to my hobby shop, so we past about 2 hours to make distance test with the transmitter and with a new one, before we install a log flight from Spektrum to see how the transmiter works, we finally found, the transmitter lost something like 124 frame in a 3 minutes test and the average should be max 100 in a 10 minutes flight.

We called Horizon Hobby and they told to my hobby shop to give me a new one, then now all goes ok, but my hobby shop eard about a problem of the dx7 and some other spektrum, the kit sold in Europe have not the same transmit mode then the one sold in North America, but Spektrum can not tell witch one is send the the hobby shop around the world, so my problem was probably, I receive a Europeen one instead of a North America and the result is I almost lost one plane, but I scrap a brand new one, an engine and all the servos. And Spektrum din't accept the fault, so I paid and I lost.

Be very carefull if you think you lost control of your plane.
MAAC 71660
JVFan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
brrzee
RCC Apprentice

I am: Joe.B

Re: Big problem with Spektrum DX7...

Thanks for the positive feedback on the DX7 considering I am using it in my pride and joy reborn Sig Skybolt that is about to maiden this weekend hopefully. I thought I was already on pins and needles about the maiden seeing this is my first build and a little history behind the plane, now I have to worry about the electronic system failing...I think I might just let it hang in the garage for show (JJ) I am sorry to here about your issues. Hopefully the odds of getting a bummed system are very low.
brrzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
yakityyak
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Andrew Collins

I've had a few strange problems with my Dx7, at the end of the day it was usually setup and user error. First of all, if by "accelerated" you mean that the throttle increased then you did not re-bind after the intial setup. All Spektrum rx's shold be bound at least twice, once to get the thing to connect and then again once the preliminary setup has been completed. This ensures that if the rx loses signal, and you get a hold, the failsafe positions are such that all servos move to a predetermined "safe" position such as low idle for the throttle. This is all laid out in the manual. The other thing is always use a flight log during setup. Every airframe is different and it is impossible to estimate the ideal setup for the best reception. I have had frame loses in my setup and moved the rx's a couple inches or changed their positions and developed a frame loss - less setup with little effort. Now all my planes have perfect reception - something no 72 mhz radio could dream of. It does take attention and there is a learning curve but when it is done right, you will appreciate the work. By rights with a proper setup and the new software on the rx's, you should've been able to go into a hold or failsafe and have almost no idea that it happened and continue your flight.

My two cents

Andrew.
yakityyak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12

Hi Yves

I was there when you crashed , and I remember we all wanted to know what happened and thats the answer ............. ya right .......... so much for almost perfect . Sorry for the llose of youre plane , hope to see you at the IMAC

Michel
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

I just received my Spektrum Data Flight Logger and was wondering if someone could tell me how it is used to do the setup BEFORE actually flying the model to see if the antennas are in good locations.

Does one turn the Rx & Tx on and move the plane around in various positions and then check the logger? How far away from the plane should the radio be?

If I could just get a basic idea of how this is done, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12

Hi Gary

I do not what to sound Like I know it all , but is not this a question for Horizon Hobby ( or the distributer of the product ) . Its one heck of a good question though and a very important one at that .

Michel
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
yakityyak
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Andrew Collins

This is the PM I just sent to Gary, I hope its ok Gary.

This should help clear things up a bit.

The setup for these radios is important. After many talks with other users and through communication with JR/Spektrum, I use the following procedure to ensure a reliable, consistent connection. Once you do this, you should feel confident in your setup. I personally wouldn't fly a Spektrum equipped plane until I did.

1. Have the plane ready to fly and make sure that you have bound the rx AFTER the reversing of servos and setting of center or failsafe mode (you will find this in the manual)

2. Plug in your Spektrum flight log and turn on the Tx, then RX

3. Perform a range and reception check. This is done by holding the bind button on the back of the TX and maintaining a distance of 30m while a friend spins the airframe on its wheels 360 degrees twice, and then stands it on its spinner and does another 2 rotations. This should check the connection in all axis at all attitudes.

4. Check the flight log, for me all 0's is a pass and it is quite possible to do. Takes a little bit of work and possibly extra antennae, but in the end worth it. Everyone has their limits but keep in mind that a frame loss means that there was still a connection, just no data transfer for a millisecond. A hold on the other hand means that the rx did not see a connection (a bunch of frame losses in a row) and reverted to failsafe. <<<<NOT GOOD

I do this test and then I repeat the first bit with the motor running, I have not seen a difference. I just do it for peace of mind.

The antenna have trouble around the fuel and battery's. For a AR9100 I mount one of them very high, over the tank, and one low. This usually seems to work well as a start.

Ar7000's and other single ANT rx's you will have more luck with a more aft location, it widens the angle around the tank.

Good luck!
yakityyak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
JVFan
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Yves Sabourin

Thanks Andrew,

Just to be more explicite, All what you talk about was done perfectly, binding after the installation before plugging servos, binding after all the servos was connected, and another one after the reversing, programming, ect was done.

Finally, I'd made my range check about 30m and the lost of control happen arround 300m or 500 to 600 feets then I crash my new plane and fast!, For the second plane, all was done the same manner, then I begun to lost control around the same distance, by a miracle I bring it back to the runway in one piece.

But before I do my maiden on my big Piper Arrow II, I gone try a flight log to make the experiences you ask for a good connection. But if all the connections on the RX are occupied with servos, where do you connect the flight log? With a Y?

Thank you
MAAC 71660
JVFan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Has anyone checked the airfield for interference such as cordless phones or wireless internet?

Has anyone else had 2.4 GHz problems at the field?

Apparently in Europe the 2.4 GHz transmitters are not allowed as much power output as in North America, and it's highly unlikely that you got a European transmitter. The North American version should have FCC and/or DOC approval stickers on the back.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
bear57
RCC Contributor

I am: Lorne B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12

Cool Re: Big problem with Spektrum DX7...

One thing I just was made aware of that may or may not be applicable in this case.
A friend of mine was using his Spektrum with a tray. He crashed an airplane and after some investigation realized that the range switch on the rear of the module was being pushed in while it was in the tray, thus limiting his range considerably.
I just checked my Spektrum and I can see this being a possibility.

For what it is worth.
Lorne
bear57 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in