Happy Nitro flyers let's hear from you! - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #31
Sparkfarmer
RCC Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Pat B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 6
Re: Happy Nitro flyers let's hear from you!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
I've seen the Mustang vid a while ago and have to agree the sound is the closest to original as anything out there. Interesting when he pushes it if the bark is from the exhaust or the prop.

However, not to start an argument I feel pressed to point out a couple of items. First is that it's hard to tell from the video, but that sure seems to be pushing the limits for noise output. Also, it's gas.

O/K. Now I'll duck.
To those who would find this sweet symphony too loud or offensive.... I say turn down the hearing aids... I don't care if this thing shatters windshields as it goes by....what a BEAST!!!
MAAC #83261
Sparkfarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #32
Sparkfarmer
RCC Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

I prefer nitro over electric for two reasons:

1- It fits my lifestyle. I work out of province and it can be weeks even months between flying sessions. I like that with easy preventative maintenance (remove unburnt fuel from the engine and a dab of after run oil) my engines can stay stored for an unlimited amount of time and start right up when I need them to. Not so with batteries.

2- Tinkering and tuning is part of the fun as far as I'm concerned.
MAAC #83261
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #33
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Sparkfarmer, I know noise levels are each persons opinion and I made my first career breathing in gas fumes in my shop, deafened by the sound of impact guns and open manifolds. Once in aviation nothing compared to a WWII vet firing up. Merlins were and are sweet music, but the bark of a huge radial snorting out a short pipe off the collector ring is addicting.

However, after already losing one preferred flying site, (3 minutes from home with a huge pond for water flying when we felt the need) this has become more important, at least to me.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
Sparkfarmer
RCC Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
Sparkfarmer, I know noise levels are each persons opinion and I made my first career breathing in gas fumes in my shop, deafened by the sound of impact guns and open manifolds. Once in aviation nothing compared to a WWII vet firing up. Merlins were and are sweet music, but the bark of a huge radial snorting out a short pipe off the collector ring is addicting.

However, after already losing one preferred flying site, (3 minutes from home with a huge pond for water flying when we felt the need) this has become more important, at least to me.
Hehe... I know what your saying... I just felt bad nobody was taking your bait!
MAAC #83261
Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #35
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

Electric is a good choice for me for float planes (especially turboprop models), small foamies to just throw up into the sky to play with and for motor gliders. Nitro and gas for the rest.

One thing I like about nitro is cleaning them (really!). Gives you a good reminder to do a post-flight inspection and see what's coming loose.
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #36
flysrcs
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5

I'm in the process of building a 100" Lancaster bomber from factory plans. The few whom have seen it so far ask what electric motors are going into it. I give them a look of shock and horror before proudly saying "no electric, 4 nitro motors". Electric just wouldn't some right. 4 -OS.40's turning 3 bladed props would be heaven. 4 electric motors would sound like a well tuned seeing machine..... My twin nitro mossie sounds amazing purring along as well.

Dave
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #37
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

I started out with an electric, then went nitro and never looked back. Something so classic about it...the sound, the vapour trail, the thrill of the start up. Of course, there's the disappointment of the failed start up, but as someone mentioned it just makes you more meticulous in your flight prep.

I find nitro engines are very tough too. I've nosed in one particular engine 4 times and it still runs like new. You can rebuild them and maintain them to last a long time. Fussing with the tuning and so on is part of the hobby, part of the pass-time, something else to perfect and be proud of.

For the record though, I have nothing against electrics and thing they are very cool in their own right. I have flown with a few electric flyers and their kits are just as thrilling to watch. Sometimes I think having an electric or two would be great just for those ugly days when fuelling and cranking is just miserable.

Either way, rock on RC'ers.
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in