Dx7 - backup error - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
gi1mo2
RCC Contributor

I am: Gilles M
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 4
Dx7 - backup error

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I turned on my DX7 and the screen stated to blink and the unit beeped a few times until I got a message saying BACKUP ERROR. Turning the DX7 on and off still only shows this message.

I did a search for this error, and indications are that I might have to send my unit for repair. Seems that the firmware may be corrupt.

Any suggestion? What's the best way to ship to reduce costs and also avoid duties. Canada Post? Horrizon Hobby has to put 'Warranty Repair' on the box when they return I believe.

I hope I don't loose my models. I have 17 now.
Plane: F4U Corsair, Extra 300, Hangar-9 Piper J-3 Cub 40, Visionaire, Polaris Ultra, Focke Wulf 190
Micro: T-28 Trojan, Extra 300 3D
gi1mo2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
ve7nly
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Darren W

Re: Dx7 - backup error

Horizon is fantastic with their warranties. Go onto their website and fill out the warranty claim form, then send it out how you wish. They usually send things back via US Post and it comes back via Canada Post. I also usually ship stuff to them with Canada Post as well. Although I usually pay for the shipping there (not sure if you can get them to pay for that as well, I've never tried) but I've never had to pay for anything once it came back. No duty or anything. And they usually ship the repaired unit or replacement back either that day or the next.

Hope this helps.
ve7nly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
rbwater
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Rob B

I had the same problem a while ago. It happened when the battery ran out while the Tx was turned on. HH reset the software & unfortunately the model info. was lost. I believe they sent it back by UPS & I had to pay $25 brokerage fee in addition to the postage to send it to them. Last time I sent an item for warranty service, I specifically asked them to return it by USPS & got it back in a few days without any charges.

RB
rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
rotormonkey13
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

Same here. I had the same problem a little while ago. Your model memory will be wiped (mine was anyway).

I too avoid UPS at all costs. I requested USPS, and got it back with no duties, etc. They do specify "Warranty Repair" when they send stuff back so you shouldn't get dinged.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotormonkey13 View Post
Same here. I had the same problem a little while ago. Your model memory will be wiped (mine was anyway).

I too avoid UPS at all costs. I requested USPS, and got it back with no duties, etc. They do specify "Warranty Repair" when they send stuff back so you shouldn't get dinged.
Ditto. The backup error occurs when the radio does not shut down properly.

Normally this should not happen in low voltage through normal use- Ie if you leave it on it should go into backup mode before shutting down.

The only times this happens is if power is cut off instantly through either
a) the power disconnects while it is on.
b) you blow a fuse when it is on (very rare- if the fuse blows it is usually at power-up when the radio is still doing the start-up sequence.
c) if the battery is in really bad shape and does not even have enough juice to allow the radio to go into backup power-down mode before the voltage drops off.

It happened to me when I was using the sim and the radio got knocked. The shock disconnected the battery . I too had to send it back. Repair was free and I was lucky with no UPS charges when it came back.

Now I always route the battery leads so that it never has any tension on the leads, and I use a wad of tissue in the battery bay to keep the battery from shifting about.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
FLYINCHASE
RCC Master Contributor

I am: mike w
Radio of choice:
DX18
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 5

I had the same prob. I was flyin indoors when mine beeped and shut off. Good thing it was a foamy! Lol sent it to HH it cost me 23.oo to ship it. They fix it the day they got it and sent it back. It came ups n/c. Great to deal with but lost all models ect

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6

Max i put pieces of foam in the battery compartment at both ends to keep the battery from shifting.There have been a couple of guy's where the battery wire was getting chewed from the battery shifting,causingto short out the tx.
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Gizmodude
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Richard L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX10 / Vbar Neo / V-Touch
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 14

Horizon has great customer service! All advice posted here is terrific!
Go to Horizon web site and submitt a claim for warranty repair , include any specific paperwork and mark the package clearly. Yes USPS shipping should avoid any customs or duties/tarrif charges as its a warranty/ service repair.

Best of luck ! I recently sold my great working Dx7 and bought a JR X11 I can do backup to memory card, I think theDx8 can do that as well. So if u plan on upgrading and have a fair number of aircraft a backup solution is important.

Cheers
Rich
Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmodude View Post
... a JR X11 I can do backup to memory card, I think theDx8 can do that as well.
The DX8 and DX7s both have model backup to SD Card capability.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
gi1mo2
RCC Contributor

I am: Gilles M
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 18

I called HH before shipping, and they said to ship it back as expected. Canada Post $22.47 for 4 day delivery including a $1.42 fuel surcharge. $33 for 3 days (NOT). I will consider getting a DX8. The DX7 might be for sale. It worked great before this.
Plane: F4U Corsair, Extra 300, Hangar-9 Piper J-3 Cub 40, Visionaire, Polaris Ultra, Focke Wulf 190
Micro: T-28 Trojan, Extra 300 3D
gi1mo2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in