Start dumping the Old 72meg radios now?? - Page 9 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #81
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96
Re: Start dumping the Old 72meg radios now....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by always flying View Post
What's bees knees?...can i use it on my kids?

mannyh
Manny...you're too young...it was a term used in the mid 50's......you wouldn't understand.....Ron
reo is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #82
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
There have been a lot of good, valid points made in this post. The fact still is, and always will be, if you feel the need to fly under the "security blanket" of the 2.4 frequency, then by all means, do so. If 72 is working for you, then by all means, fly that.

If I were flying 2500.00 gassers or 5000.00 jets out here in the boonies, I would probably be using 2.4 also just for piece of mind.(the old metal to metal thing, right mannyh)!!

Cheers
Curt
Well, Curtis, I fly gassers and jets and have resisted the change and will continue to do so.....my trusty 10X on '72 will just have to do for now, but I suppose the time will come and even us old dogs will have to give in and make the change.

That said though, just because someone is using a 2.4 system, it should not preclude the importance of a nice clean installation that would be glitch free IF using a 72 meg system. I've seen guys over the years (primarily with gas engines) have interference bad enough on FM that they could not taxi to the flight line.....the solution?....install a PCM receiver!!! Did they take the time to look for the source of the problem?....nope....PCM forever!!....maybe not visible, the the problem caused by a poor installation was still there.....

same goes for 2.4.....you may not see a problem but don't be mistaken, it is still there....Ron
reo is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #83

Total Props: 57

This thread is really quite funny, it reminds me of when PCM came out, it also reminds me of when the 75mhz frequency became illegal to use for airplanes.
Know what the biggest differece was when those changes occured? NO INTERNET FOR PEOPLE TO HIDE BEHIND!!!!!!!
I'd love to see these same conversations happen in person. People tend to act much more civil when you're within punching or even yelling range.
For all the good the internet has brought, it certainly seems to bring out the worst in people from time to time.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #84
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Pretty good points here. Proper installation is certainly important. Same sort of things you had to watch for in the RC cars. Unfortunately for me, installation wasn't the issue on mine.

A few of the top pilots at one of the local clubs I belong to are still using 72, and they're flying 35%ers, and I think the one 40% is still on 72 also. I've never seen them have any issues either. It's all about proper controls, meaning that you have to make sure you use the impound on 72.

Really, aside from the impound thing, the only other real advantage that I like about 2.4 is the model matching capability. You can never get your plane off the ground with the wrong model selected, and that's a pretty nice safety feature. I've heard so many stories (and I've only been flying about 9 months) about people not having the correct model selected. Even the experienced guys get bitten by that sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Well, Curtis, I fly gassers and jets and have resisted the change and will continue to do so.....my trusty 10X on '72 will just have to do for now, but I suppose the time will come and even us old dogs will have to give in and make the change.

That said though, just because someone is using a 2.4 system, it should not preclude the importance of a nice clean installation that would be glitch free IF using a 72 meg system. I've seen guys over the years (primarily with gas engines) have interference bad enough on FM that they could not taxi to the flight line.....the solution?....install a PCM receiver!!! Did they take the time to look for the source of the problem?....nope....PCM forever!!....maybe not visible, the the problem caused by a poor installation was still there.....

same goes for 2.4.....you may not see a problem but don't be mistaken, it is still there....Ron
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #85
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM Guitars View Post
This thread is really quite funny, it reminds me of when PCM came out, it also reminds me of when the 75mhz frequency became illegal to use for airplanes.
Know what the biggest differece was when those changes occured? NO INTERNET FOR PEOPLE TO HIDE BEHIND!!!!!!!
I'd love to see these same conversations happen in person. People tend to act much more civil when you're within punching or even yelling range.
For all the good the internet has brought, it certainly seems to bring out the worst in people from time to time.
I agree. It's funny how social skills tend to fall off when people are using a keyboard. It's kind of embarassing.

In case anyone missed it in my previous post. Joe Nall and XFC are both 2.4 gig only. Check their websites if you want. I think that was the intention of the original post. Making people aware.

BE COOL Y'ALL. George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #86
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

I had my DX6 and DX7 on order before the hobby shop got them in!! Went through the reeds then proportional and this is just the evolution of RC. First thing I noticed with 2.4 was the faster response I was getting from the planes with quick maneuvers. Second was the ant. blocking my vision. Don't notice it till it's gone Had a Futaba 9C with about 10 rcvrs.Can't remember what I got for the trans,but I got $30 bucks ea. for the rcvrs. A new AR6000 rcvr was $50. bucks, so essentially they cost me $20. bucks ea. I only have the AR 7100 rcvr for a big rcvr. The rest up to 40 size use the AR6000. For my indoor jobbys I have two AR6100s and the new AR6300 that weigha 2 grams. Never had a glitch on 2.4 whatsoever. Any problems were Elec. motors,ESCs er electrical problems. Had the IMAA event here last weekend and of, I think it was 56 registered 12 or 15 were on 72. We hold it here every year and this is the first I've seen where there were 4 up at once for much of the time. Before there were seldom 2. At age 72 I envy you younger guys as to what's to come for Radio Control. Have fun.

Gord.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #87
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4

What u call younger Gord 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypaper View Post
I had my DX6 and DX7 on order before the hobby shop got them in!! Went through the reeds then proportional and this is just the evolution of RC. First thing I noticed with 2.4 was the faster response I was getting from the planes with quick maneuvers. Second was the ant. blocking my vision. Don't notice it till it's gone Had a Futaba 9C with about 10 rcvrs.Can't remember what I got for the trans,but I got $30 bucks ea. for the rcvrs. A new AR6000 rcvr was $50. bucks, so essentially they cost me $20. bucks ea. I only have the AR 7100 rcvr for a big rcvr. The rest up to 40 size use the AR6000. For my indoor jobbys I have two AR6100s and the new AR6300 that weigha 2 grams. Never had a glitch on 2.4 whatsoever. Any problems were Elec. motors,ESCs er electrical problems. Had the IMAA event here last weekend and of, I think it was 56 registered 12 or 15 were on 72. We hold it here every year and this is the first I've seen where there were 4 up at once for much of the time. Before there were seldom 2. At age 72 I envy you younger guys as to what's to come for Radio Control. Have fun.

Gord.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #88
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Been a long enjoyable trip Randy and I wouldn't change a thing. Even the tree climbing Gotta get our exercise you know. .......By the way, what am I going to do for the next 30 yrs.

Last edited by Flypaper; 08-31-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #89
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0

I'm entirely embarrased to say, that I'm still using my old Futaba Conquest 4 banger radios (ch.18 & 54 on 72mhz), and have had no problems or complaints to date. I also use a Hitec; I don't know the model, but, it's in a Futaba Conquest designed case.

I install these in my scratch-built planes, and feel no pain. I'm not a member of any club, though, and don't have to respect other fliers. That's because I usually fly when I'm supposed to be working, and nobody is around.

I do own a 2.4, but it is new in the box, waiting for my next project. I have absolutely no problem with the evolution of the hobby. Its here, its done, now get on with it. There's no point in arguing; 72 will die, 2.4 is here, and the future is coming.

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #90
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0

Being also from the old school and have seen a lot of changes from the 27mhz era up I know there will be some changes. There always will be something new but we will still have problems. Installations as was mentioned was and still is the problem with most using something like pcm as a work around but not the cure. I have an Multiplex EVO transmitter which from information I have so far will be an upgrade in software along with probably changing receivers will get me into the 2.4 era. The part I like from what I have read is it is only about a minute to change back to 72mhz so I can still use my older receivers. As for flying the wrong model there is no way it should happen with the newer radios if you can read.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in