Flip 3D Thoughts... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 10:36 PM   #1

Total Props: 57
Flip 3D Thoughts...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys

Got the Flip 3D on Tuesday, its now Thursday eve and I am installing the linkages and should by flying it by tomorrow morning. I wanted to give some of my impressions on the kit, then later on the flying

The plane seems to be very well constructed, I looked it over in detail and could not find any areas that were substandard. Most of the balsa used in the plane was very uniform and in most cases was contest grade with the exception of certain areas stiffer wood was used.

The plane is supposedly covered in Ultracote. I would agree with that for the color trim, but the clear covering does not look like any Ultracote I have ever seen. A lot of the colors are not stuck well to the clear and should be retacked. For the most part the clear covering is well done throughout the plane.

The instructions were simple and straightforward. Lots of pictures, any one should be able to follow them easily.

Hardware, well its your typical ARF hardware. Most is useable and I did use most of it simply because I wanted to get it in the air and I thought that it would serve the purpose well. I did replace the pushrods with 5/32" carbon tube, and the metal hinges with CA type (more on the mods later). Other than that I used all the metric bolts (I will regret that later!) and the control horns, which fit a 4-40 clevis perfectly with no slop. (I am used of using ball bearing supported clevis's and these were excellent).

Mods:

- First the stab calls for flying wires to hold it in place. I dont like wires on my planes so I routered a 1/8" wide and deep slot on both LE and TE of the stab and epoxied in 1/8" carbon tube to increase the stiffness.

- I used CA hinges, the surfaces are absolutely massive on this plane. If you do this use more hinges than called for and pin the ones on the rudder. There is not a lot of hinge space on the rudder (full flying) and I could only fit in 3 so you gotta pin them.

- The kit includes 2-56 pushrods, forget that idea once you see the controls on this thing!! 4-40 ends and 5/32" carbon tube, or something of similar stiffness to get the max performance out of it.

Equipment....

YS 63 up front, with a 13x6 on 30% nitro should pull it around with lots of extra power. A 2.25" Tru Turn spinner will finish off the look.

Futaba gear throughout, with a R129DP receiver and a 9ZAWC2 transmitter guiding it.

For servos, use some massive ones on the tail! I put in 9402's on elevator and rudder, and 9602's on the ailerons. I dont know yet if the 9602's on the ailerons will be enough, I may have to change them out for something with more jam. The throttle gets a dinky little 3101.

4 cell 1100 mah will provide the current.

All in all I think its a pretty good plane for the money, and should provide loads of fun. It should be noted that this plane is certainly no beginners model, more like a third or fourth plane.

At any rate it should fly tomorrow, will probably give another report in a couple of weeks after I have had a chance to fly the hell out of it If it can withstand the abuse that is about to come its way then it is a good plane hehe !
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:07 AM   #2

Here is a picture of me and the Flip....

Got a couple of flights, flew straight off the board, I didnt put in any trim. Amazing considering the size of the surfaces.

So far it flies excellent, the motor is still breaking in so I dont have an abundance of power for really tearing it up yet.

Will get into some more flight detail in a few weeks as I wring it out.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:14 PM   #3
tag
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Trevor G

Total Props: 0
Hey nice lookin plane you got there Chad. Actually I have one also. I've flown mine about a dozen times now. I also have the .63 with a 14-4 wide blade prop. I'm useing the new digital standard servos. Weight is around 5 pounds.
I can't believe how slow this plane will fly. And touch and goes on only the tailwheel is kind of cool. Still working on the hovering, torque rolls and that kind of stuff but it's coming along.
I've got a tee and fuel dot in line between the filter and the tank on the clunk line for filling, and another tee and plug in line on the other line in between the check v/v and the tank for overflow when filling. It seems to work allright. What do you think Chad?
Anyway it's a great flying plane and I hope the weather smartens up soon. Been windy and rainy lately here. No snow though. I hear Calgary got another shot of snow again. Maybe we'll get Lake Diefenbaker filled yet thanks to you folks out in Alberta.he he he Later, Trevor.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:13 PM   #4

Hi Trevor

How do you like the 14x4W? I have a 13x6 and its not the right prop for it, more thrust and less speed than what it gives would be more appropriate.

Mine is a little fat right now, about 5.4 lbs, I have a large battery (4 oz) which I am going to replace with a 720 NiMH (1.8oz), and the 9402's that I am running in the tail are heavy also. I am going to put in the new Futaba 9650 mini digitals once I can get my hands on some so it will drop a bit of fatness there as well.

The way you have your fuel system setup sounds exactly correct for a YS pressure system.

This weather is really starting to get my mad, I got a new pattern model that will be ready this weekend, and a contest the weekend after that and my 40 gallons of fuel sittin in the corner aint going away as fast as I would have liked !!!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in