Li-Po question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Li-Po question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just purchased 4 Li-po packs: 2 - 2 cell 750mAH and 2 - 3 cell 830mAH

They come with no connectors and I was just wondering what is recommended for connectors on this type of battery pack?

I also just purchased an Ikarus Shock Flyer Edge 540 (of course) Any recommendations when assembling this plane? I know that a number of folks out there fly these foamies so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:22 AM   #2
Rob
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rob

Total Props: 0
Gary I really like the ultra deans they might be a little over kill ut they aea good solid connector and dont weigh to much. It is what i will be useing on all of my foamys
Old 03-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Hey Gary, an excellent review here:
https://www.rccanada.ca/reviews/ShockieEdge/

Have you heard anything from Nick?

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Gary,

there is also a mini deans type connector that I've seen. That might work well for you. Same quality as the ultra, just smaller.

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:45 AM   #5
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Connectors

Hi Gary,

I tried many connectors, including 2 pin trailer connectors from CTC, but ended going back to the deans ultra, just because they seemed to be the most common used.

The RC Model Car shop in Cambridge carries them as a set and individually. I also have a grab bag full of connectors I bought at the London swap meet and your welcome to pick something from there if you want.

If you don't have something before Toledo, let me know and I can take some down for you - of course you could probably get some there.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:31 AM   #6

Total Props: 57
micro dean polarized are probably the most common for park flyers.

Deans ultra are just way too huge!! Thats what we use for the motor connections in our electric pattern models and thats 2200 watts!!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
SteveM
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve M

Total Props: 12
Re: Li-Po question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maker
I just purchased 4 Li-po packs: 2 - 2 cell 750mAH and 2 - 3 cell 830mAH

They come with no connectors and I was just wondering what is recommended for connectors on this type of battery pack?

I also just purchased an Ikarus Shock Flyer Edge 540 (of course) Any recommendations when assembling this plane? I know that a number of folks out there fly these foamies so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
The micro Deans connectors are probably your best bet and that's what I plan to use. I just bought the Ikarus Edge 540 kit from J-T Hobbies in Napanee and I was planning to use the following equipment;

- Axi 2204/54 brushless outrunner
- Castle Creations Phoenix 10 brushless ESC
- Thunder Power 2S-480mAh Li-Po battery
- Three micro 6 gram servos
- GWS micro 4-channel FM receiver

I had read that the 480mAh battery was good enough as long as the overall airframe weight was kept low.

Last edited by SteveM; 01-18-2010 at 11:41 AM.
SteveM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Thanks so much for the replys fellow! Much appreciated!

Are the micro Dean's connectors different from the regular Dean's connectors that all of the Ace Radio systems use to come equipped with as standard equipment? They look quite similar and I do have a few of these connectors but I would just want to make sure that they are sufficient!

Also I have a choice of two different outrunner type motors (brushless) that I could use on the shockie! I will list them here and perhaps someone could tell me if either or both of these motors would be good to use for this foamie plane and which of the packs that I have would be good to use for outdoor flying: 2 cell 750 or 3 cell 830?

Rotex 25/6/15 and an Axi 2212/34. They both weight about the same!

Also what prop would you recommend for either of these engines? My buddy Rob has already been very helpful for me but I just thought I would get a couple of thoughts from you folks too, if you don't mind..lol

I have pretty much everything else that I will need including the micro servos, castle 10 amp controller and micro receiver.

As you can tell I have little experience with electrics but I have been reading a lot of material trying to understand the basics but there is nothing like experience so I appreciate you helping me here! Thanks!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Motocalc

Hi Gary,

You may want to go to the MotoCalc site and down load their software, it is "what if" prediction software for electric models. Once you have the basics for your plane set up, you can pick different motors, batteries, and props and see what the performance will be. It also has an "opinion" section where it will give you flight performance and suggestions. The program is widely used around the world and was created north of Kitchener, in fact the builder will be putting on a presentation at the K/W Dutchmen meeting - I think it will be the next meeting.

The it is free for 30 days, so don't download it until you need it. The site is located at:
http://www.motocalc.com/

If you need assistance in using it after you download, let me know and perhaps we can get together.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #10

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maker
Thanks so much for the replys fellow! Much appreciated!

Are the micro Dean's connectors different from the regular Dean's connectors that all of the Ace Radio systems use to come equipped with as standard equipment? They look quite similar and I do have a few of these connectors but I would just want to make sure that they are sufficient!

Also I have a choice of two different outrunner type motors (brushless) that I could use on the shockie! I will list them here and perhaps someone could tell me if either or both of these motors would be good to use for this foamie plane and which of the packs that I have would be good to use for outdoor flying: 2 cell 750 or 3 cell 830?

Rotex 25/6/15 and an Axi 2212/34. They both weight about the same!

Also what prop would you recommend for either of these engines? My buddy Rob has already been very helpful for me but I just thought I would get a couple of thoughts from you folks too, if you don't mind..lol

I have pretty much everything else that I will need including the micro servos, castle 10 amp controller and micro receiver.

As you can tell I have little experience with electrics but I have been reading a lot of material trying to understand the basics but there is nothing like experience so I appreciate you helping me here! Thanks!
The micro deans are protected from hooking up in reverse polarity....they one go together one way. The old Deans might do that as well but I cant remember.

Both motors are way to big for a shock flier by a long shot and depending on how propped have the potential to draw more current than your ESC or batteries can deal with. One of the best motors for a shocky is the AXI 2204/54 either 2s (GWS 9x5HD) or 3s (APC 8x3.8.)
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in