Karbonite gears - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
Flyin High
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bob S

Total Props: 0
Karbonite gears

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I recently bought 4 Hitec Hs-5475HB off an RCC member (they were brand new) I have heard people saying that they are failing a lot for people. I would like to know, has anyone HERE had first hand problems with these servos. Also who has them and have had no problems?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris l

https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic....866&highlight=
Old 04-05-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

If you search you will probably find the press release about carbonite gears from Hitec themselves. They have warned against using them in high load applications. What is happening is the gears are more brittle than expected and they are chipping. I have read this release myself, I just can't remember where. They are fine for about 60 size or under but not anything above, if I remember correctly.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Ramz-to-tha-Z

big screwup...

wow...did Hitec ever screw up on this one!!!
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
x-Turd
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: john m

Hi Bobby i would e mail Hitec and ask them there just might be an updated gear set
x-Turd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
I have had three 635s fail..........ie teeth were fractured from the gear wheels under what I would consider normal loads for servos in this torque range.Crashes and rough service were not factors.
The dealer where I bought them could not get replacement gears so two of the servos were sent to HITEC in California at my cost and Hitec replaced my servos with new ones and paid the freight.
They have offered to repair/or replace the third one in the same way.
There is no metal or nylon gearset that will replace the Karbonite ones.
Hitec did say they would consider an upgrade at my cost but only on failed servos when I sent them in.
I have read everything I could find on this subject and it appears the Karbonite material is very brittle and will fail at all but the lightest loads.Too bad too because the servos are smooth and are supposed to wear better than nylon or metal.........
I think Hitec have a major problem here but I dont know what they intend to do about it in the final analysis.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
Flyin High
RCC Senior Contributor

Ok thanks for the help guys. I sent Hitec an email, and I will tell you how it goes.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
Flyin High
RCC Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hello Bobby,

We are suggesting following the 12lb rule. This means if the plane is
over 12lbs that you should gang up servos per surface. I would always
suggest going with metal gears servos with larger planes.

Thank you,
This was there response to me
Old 04-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #9

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McGrath
I have had three 635s fail..........ie teeth were fractured from the gear wheels under what I would consider normal loads for servos in this torque range.Crashes and rough service were not factors.
The dealer where I bought them could not get replacement gears so two of the servos were sent to HITEC in California at my cost and Hitec replaced my servos with new ones and paid the freight.
They have offered to repair/or replace the third one in the same way.
There is no metal or nylon gearset that will replace the Karbonite ones.
Hitec did say they would consider an upgrade at my cost but only on failed servos when I sent them in.
I have read everything I could find on this subject and it appears the Karbonite material is very brittle and will fail at all but the lightest loads.Too bad too because the servos are smooth and are supposed to wear better than nylon or metal.........
I think Hitec have a major problem here but I dont know what they intend to do about it in the final analysis.
Mmm, super strong material that is ductile Yet cheap enough to withstand the cutthroat hobby business

Me thinks it doesnt exist

This is not just a problem with servos....many high strength materials have problems with fracture toughness unless you go to the exotic such as Inconel, Incoloy, MP35N, ENXX series....but they are a bit $$$$ Gears are usually carburized (case hardened, 3312/9310 steel) or the like to give high surface hardness and a relatively thick (0.050") very high strength case, yet leave a lower strength but fatigue, crack resistant core. Then the design of the gear it self is critical....sharp corners, load angles...man not straight forward stuff

Thats doing it will alloys, which are uniform and predictable by all accounts.....plastics, composites....that takes the science out of it right there and leaves it in the hands of chemists!!! Ahhhhh!!!!

I cringe when I hear material names like Karbonite.....like man what the hell is that!!! Would give me a much better warm fuzzy if they would use a common trade name so I could get the properties of it.

Good, that pretty much wasted the last bit of the day LOL
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Some of Hitecs Karbonite servos develop as much as 144in/oz of torque at 4.8 volts.
Using their 12 lb. rule that means I have to gang two 144oz servos on an aileron on a 15 lb model?They must think We have been taking stupid pills
I have seen reference to this 12 lb rule before and frankly it makes Hitec look very silly and is doing real damage to their normally very good service and quality reputation.
I have no way of knowing what kind of dollars are involved but the ethical way to handle this disaster is to pull the Karbonite servos off the market,admit they screwed up and quickly develop nylon or metal gear replacements for the Karbonite ones already in the hands of customers.
Their approach so far doesnt fill me with faith that anything will get done,and the really sad part is that they are still selling the servos with these disastrous gears in them and contributing to the destruction of modellers aircraft.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in