126" Carden Extra 300 - BBT - Build Thread - Page 124 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #1231
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62
Re: 126" Carden Extra 300 - BBT - Build Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis 9412 View Post
I was reading that thread too!!

Pretty neat huh Trev?

Wade's motor takes his plane off whenever it feels like it.

Did you ever figure out what was causing it Wade?

(Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread!!)

Regards,

Dennis

LOL - that`s a low-blow Denis!! I just said the 3W55xi had serious horsepower, not that it had a mind of it`s own!!! Those 3Dubs are so eager to run that they ignore the throttle servo sometimes!
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #1232
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy View Post
Jack,

Have you talked to Mike at MSC? He had a DA 200 for a while in his 43% Extra 260. It might be worthwile to see if he came up with something "special" that he has not marketed yet.

He is a friend of mine but please don't hold that against him!

I've been to his shop many times it's only about 25 minutes from me and is nice.

I haven't watched the vids yet but I always like the looks of a 3 blade although 3D purists will poo poo a 3 blade for 3D.

Another note about Mike's props..... When he says it's a 32" dia it truely is. MOST other prop manufactures misrepresent the true dia of their props. If you actually measure some of the other props you will find that there diameter is an 1/2 shorter then advertised.

MSC Moto is.......

"The BITE without the BARK"
Jim, in the vids there's an extreme amount of bark coming off the MSC.

Trevor talked with Mike at length yesterday and like you say he sold his whole setup. So he never come up with anything special.

Asked about 11' pitch props but no chancy..

To me on most props I've tested even for the 100cc class, the jump from a 10" to 12" or 8" to 10" pitch is very substancial.....I wish they could give us more pitch options all the way down to the 40cc class.

Oh well the search continues for the ultimate prop.

Wish Trevor would open his wallet to a couple more
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #1233
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingburner View Post

Trevor talked with Mike at length yesterday and like you say he sold his whole setup. So he never come up with anything special.

To me on most props I've tested even for the 100cc class, the jump from a 10" to 12" or 8" to 10" pitch is very substancial.....I wish they could give us more pitch options all the way down to the 40cc class.

No more wallet opening on this end Jack - The wallet open ups, but there`s nothing left inside!! I now need to behave really, really well at home and keep the dust down and "the boss" may just give me my allowance!!

I agree though Jack - the 11" pitch options IMO are extremely important!

What we`ve seen so far in the testing of the 4 cylinders is that they have so much torque that it`s very tough to load them up to keep the RPM`s down (and hence tip speeds). If you go to a 30" prop to keep tip speed down, you would need a 13 or 14" pitch to load these monsters up and then the plane feels fast (a mix of personal experience and some research)! Go to a bigger prop and the motor doesn`t drop many RPMs and tip speed gets so high and they push an insane amount of air!!!

I can`t believe I`d ever say this, but these motors almost seem a bit too big for a 44-45lb plane unless it`s a plane used in high power situations like IMAC. It would likely be much easier to prop for a 50lb plane for what Jack and I do - 3D and sport flying! (Jack - I have an idea for your next plane!!)

Seems to me that ideal prop would be a 31x11, 32x11, or perhaps a 33x11. 3-Blades are an option, but it get`s really expensive doing a $300.00 test on this size of prop!!

IN SUMMARY - PROP TESTING IS FUN, BUT $$$$

Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #1234
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
No more wallet opening on this end Jack - The wallet open ups, but there`s nothing left inside!! I now need to behave really, really well at home and keep the dust down and "the boss" may just give me my allowance!!

I agree though Jack - the 11" pitch options IMO are extremely important!

What we`ve seen so far in the testing of the 4 cylinders is that they have so much torque that it`s very tough to load them up to keep the RPM`s down (and hence tip speeds). If you go to a 30" prop to keep tip speed down, you would need a 13 or 14" pitch to load these monsters up and then the plane feels fast (a mix of personal experience and some research)! Go to a bigger prop and the motor doesn`t drop many RPMs and tip speed gets so high and they push an insane amount of air!!!

I can`t believe I`d ever say this, but these motors almost seem a bit too big for a 44-45lb plane unless it`s a plane used in high power situations like IMAC. It would likely be much easier to prop for a 50lb plane for what Jack and I do - 3D and sport flying! (Jack - I have an idea for your next plane!!)

Seems to me that ideal prop would be a 31x11, 32x11, or perhaps a 33x11. 3-Blades are an option, but it get`s really expensive doing a $300.00 test on this size of prop!!

IN SUMMARY - PROP TESTING IS FUN, BUT $$$$

LOL!!! Yup you were naughty a couple days ago and looks as though you got away with one (for now)

Yup I also think an 11" pitch for 100cc motors would really help out..28/10 to 28/12 is a substancial drop in rpm for 100cc engines and takes away throttle response and performance, whereas the 10" is noisy an 11" could be the best of both.

Now TELL me, what's on your mind for MY next plane....Very very curious
Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #1235
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Now TELL me, what's on your mind for MY next plane....Very very curious
WELL........ Now that we know how much power you`ve got there!!....

I know a guy with 50% Modelbau Ultimate Bipe kit that is just begging for your DA200 or a DLE222!!! Put a beautiful smoke system in it with all the bells and whistles with a custom paint-job and watch the fun!! Ron Sebag`s 50% Modelbau Challenger is 57lbs and flies well on a ZDZ210 and the Ultimate would come in around 47-50lbs!!

Also, DA has one 50% Modelbau Challenger left in stock that they want to get rid of and it could be easily built to 47-50lbs!! The ultimate show plane IMO!!

That is my dream plane, but unfortunately I don`t have the trailer for such a beauty!!

Last edited by TBrum; 04-27-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #1236
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

Hmmmm....I think you're onto something Peppy
Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #1237
wasadoll
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis 9412 View Post
I was reading that thread too!!

Pretty neat huh Trev?

Wade's motor takes his plane off whenever it feels like it.

Did you ever figure out what was causing it Wade?

(Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread!!)

Regards,

Dennis
I Ordered a new Servo and Extension,
wasadoll is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #1238
50%300SFlyer
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Clemmens

Total Props: 1

Quote:

Hi Jack,

As I told Trev on the phone, my flights with the DA 200 on my 43% 260, were with an MSC 31-12. It flew REALLY well too! Far better than the 210 CC twin I had in it previously.

There is no doubt in my mind, I would have switched to an MSC 32-12, had I kept the plane. The 31-12 was good for break-in and the initial flights, but not really enough load for such a powerful engine.

We have them in stock if you would like to give one a spin.

Thanks,
Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #1239
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%300SFlyer View Post
Hi Jack,

As I told Trev on the phone, my flights with the DA 200 on my 43% 260, were with an MSC 31-12. It flew REALLY well too! Far better than the 210 CC twin I had in it previously.

There is no doubt in my mind, I would have switched to an MSC 32-12, had I kept the plane. The 31-12 was good for break-in and the initial flights, but not really enough load for such a powerful engine.

We have them in stock if you would like to give one a spin.

Thanks,
Considering Jack is running your 32x10 MSC, which is the same diameter as a Mejzlik's 33x10 and ripping it, I second your recommendation to try a 32x12 MSC. I have run the 32x12 Xoar and 32x12 Mej on my Mintor220 and find the thrust is insane - probably a good 20% more than the Mej 30x13 I tried!!! In fact for 3D there is almost too much thrust out of the 32x12s!

I'll probably order a 32x12 MSC from you soon for mine!

Cheers

Trev
Old 04-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #1240
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

A start on the graphics Trev..

Should look good when it's all done..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIG 300 GRAPHICS 029.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	76122   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIG 300 GRAPHICS 031.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	76123   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIG 300 GRAPHICS 032.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	76124  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in