converting an HOB bonanza to electric? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #11
barrett
RCC Contributor

I am: Barrett Russell

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
ya after i asked you i went and dl'ed some vids, very cool. how fast does that f-18 with the 480 go? how could i tell if my motor would fit into a mini fan? they look very cool. so does your site, ill take a better look tommorow.
barrett is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:53 PM   #12
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Moe N.

What I meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747drvr
Ya , I'm pretty sure that's what he meant . That would NOT be a good motor for that conversion. The KV is way too high to be used without a gearbox unless you want to use a 5" prop ! That motor is typically used in helicopters and cars where gearing is involved. Also , it is a little heavy.

My guess for a good motor would be a Mega 16-15-6 with around a 7 or 8" prop . Make sure you keep the amperage below 21 amps for that battery pack assuming it's a newer 10c pack. The Mega weighs around 80 g.

Marc
Thanks for figuring my "ohms" were Revs, it's been a long week. As a straight "can" brushless motor the Twist 3700 RPM per volt is indeed in the old "Speed 480" size & weight class. A 7 or 8 inch prop with a 4 or 5 inch pitch is what I would expect the twist to spin if fed from a 2S LiPo while a 3 S Lipo would spin a 6X4 or 5x5 any of which should drag a 25 to 30 oz 1/12 scale HOB planes around just fine. That's a lot more motor than the speed 400 brushed motors that I started out flying "HOB'' 1/12 scale planes with (geared and direct). Then theres the added factor of todays LiPo's weighing a lot less than the "old" 6 to 10 cell AA packs that were the order of the the day 5 years back. I was quite happy doing circuits, with the odd snap roll or hammerhead using the speed 400 so I think that this Twist 3700 fed from whatever the user wishes, utilizing the correctly sized prop will take planes from the "speed 400" era and give them better than nitro "10" size performance. Are there better choices? Sure there are, but for the intended application this motor is still an acceptable one.

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:11 AM   #13
oilman

My quik measurement shows your motor needs to be 29 mm or less in diameter to fit in the fan.
A 480-37 Kontronic motor on 4S2P will get you some high speeds. I'm not sure what the fastest speed is on the HET F18 at the moment. That totaly depends on the amount your willing to spend. It seems to be a pretty versatile plane as many hand launch it. With a light power system its stall speed is fairly low. A good place to get a feel of it is by reading through this thread. But be aware. It' a long thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204374
oilman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:52 AM   #14
747drvr
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc T
Radio of choice:
Futaba

I have to say again that this motor is not suitable without gearing . 3700rpm/v is a very hot motor and may be able to swing a 5' prop but the amperage is going to be way more than that pack can handle . That would be a hot pylon racer motor direct drive.

The Bonanza would be best kept light with an appropriate motor . Do you own this motor now and for what purpose did you buy it ?

Marc
Old 01-20-2005, 08:25 AM   #15
barrett
RCC Contributor

yes i own this motor. had it in an electric heli, but i found out many use it it the e3d and similar planes so i decided to keep it. like i said , with the 5.2 GB and 32 pack it can be a very effecicient planker motor.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:28 AM   #16
barrett
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman
My quik measurement shows your motor needs to be 29 mm or less in diameter to fit in the fan.
A 480-37 Kontronic motor on 4S2P will get you some high speeds. I'm not sure what the fastest speed is on the HET F18 at the moment. That totaly depends on the amount your willing to spend. It seems to be a pretty versatile plane as many hand launch it. With a light power system its stall speed is fairly low. A good place to get a feel of it is by reading through this thread. But be aware. It' a long thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204374
ya the inner can is exaclty 28mm and with the fins its 34, so i guess no DF with this motor. maybe in the future tho, i always wanted a jet. you guys actually run 3700kv motors on 4s, that would give insane rpm, like 50k under load.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:12 AM   #17
oilman

I don't understand the term "Planker"

So the outer finned can does not come off eh bummer.

Well 4S is what 12-13 v under load. You just mentioned using a 32 pack (I assume round cell) or was that a typo. And yes people do use 4S. Not myself yet as no spending money lately. The cheaper Wemotec fans are usualy run in the 40k RPM range. But some have gone much higher. Better fans can be bought for the higher RPMs I am waiting on some Shuebler fans to arrive. THere a little pricey at $300 but I'm going to feel safer spining the higher RPMs.

I agree with Norse that you could possibly make your Twist work in that plane. But I also agree with 747 that its not worth trying. I love to "over motor " my planes but thats going a little far IMO. That Bonaza would be beautiful to see doing cicuits and touch and goes. However if you had a simular sized Mustang or Corsair painted up as a Reno racer. Hmm You would need a bungee or catapult though. If you look on the American Kontronic site there recomending to use this motor/ gearbox on 40-60 size planes. Wich would be half a meter again in wing span. and up to anouther kilo in weight.

Anyways I'm off to work.
oilman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #18
barrett
RCC Contributor

thanks for all the great info

as far as this twist goes, im going to scratch build a profile 3d ship for it (oh ya plankers is a term for plane, heli guys use it i guess, just kinda became part of my vocab. ).

as far as the 32 cell count goes, i couldnt find where i said that, either way, i emant 3s, once i went to lipo i cant go back, although i had a 200$ pack pooch out on my after 10 charges, not cool.

keep me in mind if you happen to get some used DF gear up for grabs.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in