How to power my raptor? (rx battery) - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #21
Tmaxx4ever
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 1
Re: How to power my raptor? (rx battery)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-planker View Post
Tmaxx4ever

why would you want to run a 1500nicad at 4.8 and have to charge so often and suffer from the voltage drop??
The reason i would recommend a nicd/nimh battery is becuase of price and ease of installation. Not everybody is into "hard 3D" so a voltage drop isn't even noticeable to 94% of us. I assumed that Norm doesn't have as much experience as alot of us here on the boards so I figured that setup would suit him......just like a different, more expensive setup would be better suited for somebody with more experience.
Tmaxx4ever is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #22
Norm
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: DM

Total Props: 3

I have been flying model helicopters for a few years now. Mostly .30 size and 450 electrics. I have always just run basic setups with 4.8 volt packs and analog servos. I am to the point where I want to start doing 3d. So I am setting up my .50 appropriately. I am new to digital servos and regulators. This is why I've been having so many questions. Thanks for all the great answers and opinions so far.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #23

Total Props: 57

I run digital 9252's on cyclic a ds810 digital on throttle and a ds8900 on tail all are digital and high drain I still only use a sub-c JR 2400 mah nicad with no trouble at all,and as far as the 3D goes this will do all of it with a lipo upgrade if I ever get good enough to 3D,these guys talk of the ultimate setups' but most of us will never get there so keep that in mind when spending all your hard earned money.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
Norm
RCC Senior Contributor

I hooked my multimeter into a spare channel on the rx. The battery was not fully charged but had a reading of 5.46 volts. I then moved both tx sticks in circles. The voltage dropped by .40 volts to 5.06. I stopped moving the controls and it went back up to 5.41 volts. Is this a normal drop under no load for all digital servos?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #25

Total Props: 57

Did this radio or any part of it come from a crashed heli? If it did I would go buy new parts before you kill your brand new bird with a bad radio system been there done that.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #26
Tmaxx4ever
RCC Junior Contributor

Awesome advice. Forget trying to figure out what is faulty. Anything that has been in a crash should be thrown out and replaced with new stuff......... NOT. Not all of us are so wasteful, or have such deep pockets.
Tmaxx4ever is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #27
Norm
RCC Senior Contributor

Yup, the rx came from a crashed heli. I am saying the heck with it. Buying a new hitec autoshift rx, regulator and lipo sometime this week. Hopefully this cures all my problems. I just didn't want to buy anymore new 72 mhz gear when I am so close to going all 2.4 in a few months. This way every electronic item on the helicopter (except gyro) will be brand new! If there is still problems after that. Then it's not my problem and a warranty issue!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #28
G-copterbous-funk
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John Appleseed

Total Props: 0

Quote:
The battery was not fully charged but had a reading of 5.46 volts. I then moved both tx sticks in circles. The voltage dropped by .40 volts to 5.06. I stopped moving the controls and it went back up to 5.41 volts. Is this a normal drop under no load for all digital servos?
Yup that's fine for a 4 cell pack. At 5.46V and with the drop to 5.06 it was well over half charged-easily. What you need to do is see at what voltage the monitor goes off at. If you run a heavier switch harness like a JR HD unit and the battery has decent gage wiring things will improve. I'll fly at 5.06 without a load and if it drops to 4.85 while moving the sticks I'll still fly. Just check it every flight. The best part of the charge is still available. Cycling a battery will tell you exactly how good it is and putting a load on the battery with a volt meter will tell the truth about if you should fly or not. Those voltage monitors with the flashing LEDs cause more problems that they are worth if not set correctly for voltage. Remember a cell is not dead at 1.2 volts under a load.

1500mah is fine for learning to fly, it doesen't take much energy for basic aerobatic helicopter flight. Even with digitals and my flying there should be 4 safe 10 minute flights available with a big buffer in the bank. The digitals eat energy if stalled but it takes very little energy to fly like a gentleman. Colin can pull 3 amps average out of his battery in a nasty flight while most will pull much less. I've run 1800mah for years and found them more than ample with digitals.

Stephen

Last edited by G-copterbous-funk; 04-06-2009 at 05:30 PM.
G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #29
x-planker
RCC Contributor

I am: kevin b
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 8

[QUOTE= Not all of us are so wasteful, or have such deep pockets.[/QUOTE]

Is this directed at me Tmaxx4ever?? Im more interested in knowing where you get you numbers from " 94% of us" ?? Do you like to battle plp on forums?? This was a simple battery question but i can see you are targeting my posts why? Who is Tmaxx4ever from toronto?

Team Skycraft Hobbies_Outrage Volocity N2_Protos 500_Blade 450x_Aeroworks Edge 540
x-planker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #30
x-planker
RCC Contributor

I am: kevin b
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 8

Tmaxx4ever

My bad, now that i read your post again i can see that it was directed at Flyswatter40. But the funny thing is, i agree with him as well why risk a good machine for a faulty rx? I also viewed some of your other posts and you have the same know it all attitude...you even took a shot at finless who has helped alot of people move forward in this hobby. Whats your deal??

Who is this guy???

Team Skycraft Hobbies_Outrage Volocity N2_Protos 500_Blade 450x_Aeroworks Edge 540
x-planker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in