Caribou/ Buffalo - Page 15 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #141

Total Props: 57
Re: Caribou/ Buffalo

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yeah FT,

better keep those flaps like the real one use them for ...
Better static and better flight responces as the real one do ...

Looking good hard working man ...
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #142
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3
Elec Re: Caribou/ Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnotter View Post
You're a machine!!!!! Looks awesome though, next model you should do, another fine dehavilland product, the -7, I could help you out with that, I have a maintenance training manual that I could scan pictures/drawings from. I worked on the -7 for 11 years, next to the twin, it is one of the best aircraft out there.

Keep up the great work and for sure I will follow this thread. I would love to have my own dehavilland fleet.
Thanks for your kind comments. I hope to show this plane at "Wings and Wheels" in early June here in Owen Sound. Come on up.
Awesome plane - A FOUR engine plane, With retracts Not for awhile and definitely not in this scale! Maybe next winter!! hehe. flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #143
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.TYPHOON View Post
Yeah FT,

better keep those flaps like the real one use them for ...
Better static and better flight responces as the real one do ...

Looking good hard working man ...
Hi Capt: I think one of the main attractions to this plane, other than it being a Dehavilland, was the real planes ability to do the "Wheelbarrow". That consists of the plane coming to ground in about a 15 degree nose down attitude and running the nose wheel along the ground under perfect control and then lifting back up a lot like an elevator. It is able to this because of its huge flaps with up to 70 degrees of deflection.
I just encountered another samll snag. The props I intended to use are EMP's 15/8/3blade cut to 13.5" They won't fit into the 2" scale spinners! A 12/8/3 blade fits fine.
OHHH, what to do, what to do -hehe. I may be able to clear some material from inside the spinner, the agony of scale. Covering will be started shortly, another trip to Barrie-hehe! flytwice

Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #144
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Thought it about time for a small update. As you all know, I've been waiting for parts - again! Well, the 12/8/3 blade EMP props have arrived. I have the control horns now, but not the 2mmX 8 screws to mount them, another week.
My new to me JR 8103 radio arrived yesterday, along with a 7 and 9 channel RX, so started the process of installation. Have some mods to do to the wiring as I originally installed it. Best part is I'll be able to run the plane with one radio!!
Over the last few days, I got the fuselage covered, going to attempt my own decals. The ASC on the rudder is ultracote, come out pretty good, I think.
I've also ordered a second 4020-16 Scorpion, found one in Grand Prairie NIB, even tho they are 4 ozs heavier than the 3040-480G's, I'm a little suspicious of the bearing quality in these $18 motors. I'll probably find new bearings for these 3040's before I trust them in this build. more to come! flytwice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BP56.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	104692   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP57.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	104693  
Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #145
Rob
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rob

Total Props: 0

Hey Fly twice
Just cerious when the maiden flight will be one this. As I would like to see it and also get some video of it .
Cheers Rob
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #146
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi Rob: I'm wondering how you'll take video and maiden the plane too -hehe. At least I hope you'll volunteer!!!!
I picked up a 8103 radio, I may need your advice on setup. I was thinking about waiting until after Wings and Wheels for the maiden flight. I think it will be a month before she actually done.
I'm waiting now for special screws, and a 8-15A BEC from HobbyKing, and a 4020-16 from Grand Prairie. Need the BEc to set up the radio, should be here in a week or so - I hope. flytwice
Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 AM   #147
Rob
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rob

Total Props: 0

You can use a battery back to set up the radio then install the bec when it arrives. Let me know Doug if you need a hand with programing. I can alsway slip over and give you a hand with that. As for the maiden I guess some one else will have to shoot video. But Ill be honest Ill be a little on the nervious side flying some thing you put this much time in.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #148
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi Rob: Thanks for the idea of the battery pack for the receiver,unfortunately I don't have one. No rush for now.While I wait for the horn screws and BEC, I've started covering the wing. That has already proven to be fun, can't wait to start covering around the nacelles -right!
As for the maiden< If you accept, I will rely on your 30 something years of accquired skills over mine regardless of nerves. I believe in you! I guarantee you won't be as nervous as me!! hehe.
The Buffalo has to fly, right? flytwice
Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 AM   #149

Total Props: 57

How is it

going on the covering buddy ?
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #150
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi Capt: The Buffalo is progressing. I now have the fuselage and main wing covered. Now on to the nacelles, likely the hardest part to cover!
I still have a couple of parts to recieve, hardware mostly. I've also got another Scorpion motor on its way. I waited 2 months for Innov8tive to deliver, still no motor. A fellow flyer in Grand Prairie is supplying a NIB unit.
I'm still waiting for some special 3 way connectors from HK (over 1 1/2mos) to allow quick foolproof hookup from ESC's to motors.
I wanted a 3 connection plug to assure the right connections, may have to color code the wires individually!!
From here, its about getting all the little stuff done, and finishing the decals, another challenge for me! The testing!!
Oh yeah, I have to double check that it will fit in the trailer. flytwice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in