Vinyl Graphics Cutters - Page 12 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #111
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26
Re: Vinyl Graphics Cutters

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Thanks Peter. Sometimes it is just the colour combo you use that makes the graphic come alive.
Still using the original Silhouette graphics program that was provided. I have found some limitations when I wanted to do certain things. I could use more letter fonts. I also wanted to taper a word and it can't do that. You can only scale, crush or stretch.
Not sure what you really want me to discuss. The pics you posted are generally what I am doing. Import, trace, cleanup, scale and cut.
All the graphics are layered. Can't inset with Ultracote as you would end up with gaps due to heat shrinkage. Did you want to know how I was cutting Ultracote or more of using the program? Like the weld button.

Chris
Hi Chris:

I was interested to learn how you're layering the graphics. I haven't done this yet and was wondering if you were using any special technique. Also, are you using Ultracote heat shrink covering or trim sheets? You seem to be getting very clean cuts.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #112
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Chris:

In a previous post you mentioned that the "stock" Silhouette program has some limitations, particularly font manipulation; you also mention that you were attempting to produce tapered font. I wanted to make a tapered Aeroworks graphic and solved the problem by producing it in Microsoft Powerpoint, saving it as a JPEG file and then importing it into the Silhouette program. Not the best solution, but if you have access to Powerpoint, you'll have more options to create logos. Attached is the logo that I ended up using.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEROWORKS 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	236756  
MAAC #22527

Old 02-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #113
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeisel11 View Post
Hi Chris,

All 3 layers are cut separately and then assembled on a light table before installation. I can post some pics of how I do it this weekend.

Colin
Thanks for clearing it up Colin. From you #103 post you mentioned you just finished cutting. I didn't realize you had also assembled them.
Pictures help us all if you have the time.

Chris

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #114
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midair View Post
Hi Chris:

I was interested to learn how you're layering the graphics. I haven't done this yet and was wondering if you were using any special technique. Also, are you using Ultracote heat shrink covering or trim sheets? You seem to be getting very clean cuts.

Peter
Hey Peter. Using only regular Ultracote covering. I have a lot of colours and pieces available. Not the trim sheets. I only use the cutting mat in the Silhouette. I will take some pics and post how I am layering with the Ultracote. I will say that there is less weeding involved when using Ultracote instead of Vinyl.

Quote:
Chris:

In a previous post you mentioned that the "stock" Silhouette program has some limitations, particularly font manipulation; you also mention that you were attempting to produce tapered font. I wanted to make a tapered Aeroworks graphic and solved the problem by producing it in Microsoft Powerpoint, saving it as a JPEG file and then importing it into the Silhouette program. Not the best solution, but if you have access to Powerpoint, you'll have more options to create logos. Attached is the logo that I ended up using.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I tried everything I could think of and no way you could taper. There are the only three basic manipulations available that I mentioned earlier. A third party option is the only way to go. I have Printshop Pro here. I am going to try it out and see if it can be of any use.

Chris

Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #115
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Explain "weeding"
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #116
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Hi Mike:

Weeding - Once you've cut your graphic on the vinyl cutter, you've (hopefully) only cut through the vinyl material and not the backing, or carrier (the "waxed white paper to which the vinyl is attached). Weeding is the process by which you pull up or remove all of the vinyl pieces that are not part of your graphic. For example:

If you were to cut the word "AIRPLANE" from vinyl, after the cut you would remove everything that isn't part of the word - all of the vinyl around the outside of the letters and the bits of vinyl in the letters A, R and P. In the end you're left with only the word attached to your backing, exactly as it will look on your subject or plane.

If you review the video in the first post of this thread, you'll watch the guy weeding the word "Flower Power."

Peter
MAAC #22527

Last edited by Midair; 02-26-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #117
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Quote:
Hi Mike:

Weeding - Once you've cut your graphic on the vinyl cutter, you've (hopefully) only cut through the vinyl material and not the backing, or carrier (the "waxed white paper to which the vinyl is attached). Weeding is the process by which you pull up or remove all of the vinyl pieces that are not part of your graphic. For example:

If you were to cut the word "AIRPLANE" from vinyl, after the cut you would remove everything that isn't part of the word - all of the vinyl around the outside of the letters and the bits of vinyl in the letters A, R and P. In the end you're left with only the word attached to your backing, exactly as it will look on your subject or plane.

If you review the video in the first post of this thread, you'll watch the guy weeding the word "Flower Power."

Peter
To further explain. The reason you need to weed. If you pull the letters up separately and stick them on your plane it is a hard process to line them up again and have the same spacing. When you weed out the unnecessary pieces of vinyl, you use a semi-sticky transfer medium to transfer only your letters or graphic from the waxy backing to where you want to place it on your subject (plane). This semi-sticky medium allows you to keep your alignment and spacing of letters or graphic. Makes things go a little faster and easier.

Chris

Last edited by Tomahawk; 02-26-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 AM   #118
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Ok, here we go. Took some pics tonight. I already cut something out but didn't like it but I will use it for the demo.
I am assuming you have your graphic chosen, sized and ready for cutting.

Since I am using the cutting mat I need to know the different sizes of Ultracote I need.
You need to click on the page tab and then use the slider to reveal the cutting mat on the screen.
Now that I know where the mat is I can group graphics of a similar colour together. Once arranged to use the least material. I can determine the different sizes of Ultracote I need because I know exactly where on the mat the blade will cut.

I then cut out the sizes and colours of Ultracote needed.

I will pull the covering and backing apart and reseal it again flat using the covering iron on the low setting to only activate the glue. I do this to all pieces as I have had buckling issues because of the covering being rolled up and then trying to lay it flat on the mat.
Run my finger over it to make sure all bubbles are out and run the iron over it again.
Shown in pic one.

The second picture shows the mat loaded with the Ultracote. Again I know from the screen where the cuts will be made. It is then easy to line up the covering and use only what I need. I added a few more pieces for show but they will not be used. You don't have to cut everything at once but it is an option.

Third pic. Start assembling. All I can say is clean. I use rubbing alcohol to remove any oils from the covering. Assembly is on a scrap piece of backing. I tried to place the red on black but you can't see the cut lines. It was easier to remove both and assemble on the scrap piece.

Pic four. Yes I eyeball it to line up.

Pic 5. Almost finished. Note the A. I weed out the centers at this time. Now you have to place your letters back in the black. I usually have to reseal the outer covering back down as it has pulled up from removing the letters.

Pic 6. Align the letters back into their slots. I usually only tack the centers. You don't need to seal the whole letter down. Just enough so it doesn't move.

Pic 7. I use green painters tape to remove the letters from the backing. I like to keep some of the Ultracote exposed as it is easier to tack it in place on the plane.

Pic 8. Start to carefully peel apart. Some letters give you trouble like E or C but it usually comes apart easily. Note, this is where you don't have to do all that weeding like vinyl.

Pic 9. Your graphic is ready to be applied to your plane. Make sure the spot you choose is well cleaned. Or you might be re-cutting another one to replace it.

Any questions do ask. Hope I covered it all.
Also any ideas to do this quicker also welcomed.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	layering1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	236867   Click image for larger version

Name:	layering2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	236868   Click image for larger version

Name:	layering3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	236869   Click image for larger version

Name:	layering4.jpg
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	236870  

Name:	layering5.jpg
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	236871   Click image for larger version

Name:	layering6.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	236872   Click image for larger version

Name:	layering7.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	236873   Click image for larger version

Name:	layering8.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	236874  

Name:	layering9.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	236875  

Last edited by Tomahawk; 02-27-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #119
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Ultracote is not the end all. Sometimes vinyl is better. I have even used both together.

Here is a little eye candy to show you. I wanted to add a little maple leaf to my foamy Gee Bee R1. A little Canadiana to show it was mine.
I was afraid I would melt the foam applying Ultracote so I cut it out of vinyl.
I needed a small black border around the red so it would match the rest of the graphics. I used a similar technique as above to assemble on a separate piece of backing paper before applying to the Gee Bee.
That border was small.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maple leaf.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	236876  

Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #120
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Great tutorial thanks very much. I have questions.

What was your setting on the knife and what was your thickness setting?
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in