Good or Bad??? - The Wife wants to join in!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
snowy1111

Total Props: 0
Good or Bad??? - The Wife wants to join in!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hmmmm

Not sure if this is good or bad, but the wife wants to get into Building (as I do) and flying.

Good things about it:
1) It should be easier to expand the budget on plane related items (unless she quits, cause then she knows the price of everything)
2) Spend some time together!!!! (this will be in the Bad things column as well)
3) Not sure

Bad things about it:
1) Takes away from my personal space away.
2) Budget could be reduced if (probably when) she quits.
3) Have to spend more time with the wife.....
4) Not sure..

Anyone got some ideas or points to add to these lists????

RICH
snowy1111 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

My wife got her wings and built her own 2nd plane. My 14 year old daughter got her wings this year. The only negative thing would be when she beats you at a club fun fly. (Luckily I beat her by 2 points )

It's a great thing to do as a family and that's time spent together.
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
Gee, do you REALLY get along with your wife?

Give it a try, I don't ever remember a divorce or breakup when both partners have the same intersts and curiosity UNLESS you decide that you are the Leader And Expert here. Let her learn, encourage the hobby AND her participation, and things will go fine. Better yet (!) she will likely get to be better than you at both building AND flying... Besides, if you think of it as Quality Time, ya just can't spend enough of that in a truly successful relationship. My wife and I were in business for 5 years, side by side in the store, and at the end of the day we would look at each other and say "hi! How did your day go?" We never ran into the "overexposure" that some people complain about, because we recognised each other's strengths and weaknesses.

If you encourage her participation and ONLY caution her about problems either in building or flying, she will end up as yur very best flying buddy, and a LOT of guys will truly envy that!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:55 PM   #4

Total Props: 57
My wife is very involved in the hobby....however she does not fly or build.

She is my coach for my pattern training. She knows everything there is to know about the planes, how much gets spent on them etc etc etc and she never complains. She is at the field with my 5 days a week 3 hours+ each time all summer. Hell she even knows how to read Aresti

Its the one time when I will actually listen very closely at what she has to say !!!!! I think she really likes telling me how bad I did something and me actually agreeing with it LOL.

I think you will find less friction around the hobby when your wife is involved with it.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #5
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

I'd embrace it, and let her have her own space at the same time..let her develop, grow, and branch off to feed her own individual interests...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:44 PM   #6
snowy1111

LOL

I said most of that for a reaction from you guys and her. She is reading over my shoulder now. She has gone to all the shows with me and that kind of thing, but today she purchased her first kit to build. She got a basic glider because she is scared to screw it up, but if she keeps with it she should do well!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICH
snowy1111 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Rich,
Let her go for it. Help her as much as you can. If you are both interested in the hobby I think you will appreciate it that she is interested. A good point also is that I know a wife that does not fly but helps. He hasn't finished a plane for years. She is very good at design and a monocote finish.
Besides she might want her own puter and come on here and as far as I am concerned she is very welcome.
John
Old 11-07-2004, 05:04 AM   #8
Don M.

My wife has been involved since I started in 1985. She got tired of being just a helper and in about 1990 she earned her wings, she would not let me teach her though and sought out another instructor ( just as well probably ). She flew for about 3 years and was the President of our club for 2 years ( the best one we have had ). Then she kinda drifted away into something else but has been bugging me lately to get back into it - I couldn't be happier.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:36 AM   #9
Fodder
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Scott

It's great, my wife got her wings this year. Easier to get new toys. Only thing I didn't do was let her take many chances while instructing her. No fights or anything, but I new I'd be fixing the plane. Better off letting another instructor teach as she may progress faster because they'll be more inclinded to let her try something new earlier.

Scott
Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:42 AM   #10
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Wait when she calls you up at home and tels you to bring here lunch out to the field
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in