450 Flybar control assy - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
twnotter
RCC Contributor

I am: Nick Craig

Total Props: 1
450 Flybar control assy

I bought this HK450 used some parts were missing and now I'm trying to put it back together, some parts are align and some HK, the flybar control assy, HK part, is touching the screws for the SF arms, not sure if the align flybar control assy is wider or if my screw heads are too big. The head, seesaw assy and one SF mixing arm are align, If someone can let me know if the align flybar control assy is wider or suggestions to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
twnotter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: 450 Flybar control assy

I THINK I know what you are talking about, but I am not sure.

A picture paints a thousand words.

If you can post a photo(s) of the area in question, you are more likely to get some responses that can help you out of this situation.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
twnotter
RCC Contributor

Pictures added, not sure if the attchment screws for the SF mixing arm are suppose to countersunk or if I have installed it wrong. It is the silver rod on the right, you can see that it hits the SF mixing arm screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00838.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	89750   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00839.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	89751  
Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Thanks for the pictures.

I can see what you are talking about, I see where the bolt is hitting the flybar control rod.

The HK heli is supposed to be an identical clone to the Align 450, and I have used several HK parts on my Trex450 SE with no problems. The fact that your head has the bolt hitting the flybar control rod is perplexing.

Having said that , I see you are using an Align METAL mixing arm on one side and a PLASTIC HK mixing arm on the other side. Normally these should be dimensionally identical, albeit one is plastic. Can you check the width of the arms where the bearings pass through? These width's should be identical. If not there is your problem. If they are the same, then the culprit would be the bolt you are using. It could be bottoming out on the thread before it clears the flybar control rod.

The final option would be to buy a matched pair of mixing arms for $3.00:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8532
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
twnotter
RCC Contributor

I should have mentioned that there is no clearance on the side that the align arm is on as well. I checked the width of the arm where the bearing is and they are the same. I also checked the screw to make sure it was not bottoming out and that is good. I posted another picture, on the seesaw assy, where the arm attaches, is raised, I'm guessing this is so that the arm clears the bolt that attaches the seesaw to the head, the HK part did not have this, I don't have the complete HK seesaw as this was broken when I got the heli, but one mixing arm was still attached to what was left of the seesaw and this is the screw I used. Not sure if it would be a good idea to file the raised portion down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00840.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	89756  
Old 11-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
lanman
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Totally "normal" for the HK450MT....right at the end of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GPtSPKLrr4

I originally just took a dremel and made a slight clearance notch in my flybar cage. Later I had a problem with those screws coming loose. It turns out that they are not the correct screws. On an Align, they are M2X8 collar screws, which you can tighten right up. On the HK450MT, they use regular machine screws that are threaded the entire length, and if you tighten them all the way, the arm binds, so you have to leave them slightly loose, and are only held in by threadlock. I think that the head of the screw is also bigger than the Align screws, and that's why there is interference.

I found a couple of longer collar screws in my extra hardware bag, so I shortened them to the correct length and used them instead.
lanman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in