NIPMAC Wasi field now closed (North Bay, Ont.) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Janne B

Total Props: 0
NIPMAC Wasi field now closed (North Bay, Ont.)

Just to let any RC visitors to the area know that the field located on HWY 654 is now closed for modeling use. We still have use of our great site on Cranberry Road in Callander. It however is leased and we hope to have a long future there but it seems that not much is guaranteed these days.We are looking for another back-up or permanent site. We have discussed purchasing property, but as one can imagine this could be quite a feat for a club.Any advice on grants, group ownership, corperate assistance etc would be greatly appreciated.
  • Cheers,Jan Blom
    VP, NIPMAC
[/list]
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

If there is a local air cadet chapter that might be agood start.

Get some buddy boxes and let them come and fly.

With that in mind seek out other agencies like the Rotary club etc. to help sponsor this.

Field improvements and other safety issues for fencing and the buddy boxes etc. might be supported by those organizations.

Participation in community events is also a good thing. Let the politicians know you are there.

Good luck
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
Ed Smith

Quote:
Participation in community events is also a good thing. Let the politicians know you are there.
The above is usually good advice. However we did exactly that and lost our new field. Once they found out about us they came down on us with a whole bunch of zoning violations.

Clubs should tread warily when advertising their presence.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Kargon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 41
[/quote]Clubs should tread warily when advertising their presence.

I disagree. be part of the community. We lease our field from the town of Georgina for $ 1 a year, thats right " one dollar" . and we've had the field for over 15 years. Leisure services has set land aside for us as the land around us is being redeveloped for recreation use ( they are building a hill for winter and summer activities.) We advertise our events in the local paper. ( it's free in the community events section of most papers) We have an annual corn-roast in the fall for the community and usually get a good turn out ( free food.....lol ). Get involved if you want to keep fields.

As far as grants go, apparently they are available. The Aurora model club got a large one. You'll have to contact them for the details.

cheers, Karl
Kargon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
Just to clarify Ed Smiths comments: We lost the use of the field for a while, we now have it with conditions, they got us on a technicality of zoning, we applied for rezoning, and got it.

It all really started because one guy in the club didn't use common sense and flew at 6:30-7:00 am, more than once, and pi**ed off a neighbour more than once.

Get involved with your community. Be fair. be honest, be sensible.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

There are too many people out there who think that noise isn't a problem.

It is the number one cause of losing a field.

It also helps our own people too.

How many of us are losing our hearing because you didn't wear hearing protection or use a muffler for a number of years???

Cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Ed Smith

Quote:
Just to clarify Ed Smiths comments: We lost the use of the field for a while, we now have it with conditions, they got us on a technicality of zoning, we applied for rezoning, and got it.
Just to clarify John Kovat's comments.

The conditions and time limits imposed on us made the field virtually unusable. In addition we could not use it after November and cannot use it until May. In June the re-zoning runs out.

By no stretch of imagination is that getting the field back.

Ed S
Old 02-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
No sense tirning this into a pi**ing match now is there???

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Ed Smith

Quote:
No sense tirning this into a pi**ing match now is there???
I did not. I answered your post as you did mine.

Ed s
Old 02-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
bigguy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 3
Re: NIPMAC Wasi field now closed (North Bay, Ont.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Blom
Just to let any RC visitors to the area know that the field located on HWY 654 is now closed for modeling use. We still have use of our great site on Cranberry Road in Callander. It however is leased and we hope to have a long future there but it seems that not much is guaranteed these days.We are looking for another back-up or permanent site. We have discussed purchasing property, but as one can imagine this could be quite a feat for a club.Any advice on grants, group ownership, corperate assistance etc would be greatly appreciated.
  • Cheers,Jan Blom
    VP, NIPMAC
[/list]
Hi Jan,

What ever became of the old Canadore heliport that used to be out at the old bowmark range.I hear Canadore has left it.That would probably be a good place.I graduated from there some years back.

Cheers
Ralph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in